Infamous sticky buttons | FerrariChat

Infamous sticky buttons

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dan F1, Apr 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan F1

Dan F1 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    R. Dan Griffin
    Just curious if anyone out there in the atlanta area knows where I can get sticky buttons fixed on my 2002 F1 360 spider - besides ferrari of atlanta

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    send them to sponsor sticky no more - lots of removal instructions here & on his site

3. Dan F1

Dan F1 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    R. Dan Griffin
    Thank you for your reply I'll check it out

4. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This will not apply to who to go to as do not live in Atlanta. I de sticked my entire 2003 Modena less than 4mo ago. Once the process begins,to me it seemed like all pieces became involved. I found a fellow that worked at a Ferrari Dealer that was willing to do some work at home so he disassembled, then reassembled parts after I sent them to Sticky no more. Same could be accomplished by finding a good auto upholstery shop in your area familiar with Ferrari or high end cars.Top dash vents are easy to do yourself as no disassembly are required. Directed air vents are easy to pop out with right tool, clean yourself with oven cleaner or in my case I used leatherique cleaner.
    Docf

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I wonder why Ferrari insists on using that coating.

6. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    Mystery of the century.......LOL

7. Deiger

Deiger Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2011

Could you comment further on removal of the windshield defroster vents. Most of the other pieces I can get out myself, but those concern me.

Also, I heard the A/C vents can be tricky.

Deiger

8. anconbrat

anconbrat Karting

Jul 9, 2011
    East central Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Morton
    I am curious to know if FCA or FOC put any pressure on FNA to do something for those owners that encountered this nasty problem???

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If anyone needs a quote or info please don't hesitate to send us an email - Robbie

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm amazed by this as well. Am I correct that this started with the 348 and still occurs on the 458? If so, that would be 25 years on ignored problem. They have more customers than they need, so I guess they don't care, but a significant part of the value of their business is in their brand, so it's surprising they ignore something like this that very much is a factor in weakening the brand.

11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My understanding is they changed products in 2010. Still doesn't explain or forgive 20 years of this. I need to do a bunch of parts in my 612, if I keep her.

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Deiger the dash air Vents do not need to be removed as they if sticky can be done safely and nicely with Leatherique cleaning solution , terry cloth and elbow grease. I used the Leatherique cause it was effective and not harmful to the leather. I let the leatherique soften the areas the night before I began as the vents under the dash were not quite sticky enough. The underlying plastic once the sticky is removed is a nice color.
    The air conditioning vents remove easily with nylon upholstery pry bar. Can buy bar cheaply on Amazon You can protect the leather margins of the dash with some blue painters tape to protect from scuffs. Pay attention to the gears located at the 6 o'clock position on the Vent mech. I initially did one at a time so as to cement in my mind how the mech. aligned and worked. It's easy to do. You will lose the little white arrows on the vents. Almost forgot you can see some pictures of Vent removal on Sponser McCarbon site.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What pressure do they have to apply?

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Both clubs have ZERO clout with FNA.

15. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

Maybe "StickyNoMore" is a subsidiary of Ferrari. ;)

16. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Not only Ferrari. Not sure about USA cars but many European cars used the "soft touch coatings" which were no doubt sold to them by the chemical companies without any mention of how long they would last.

Many Mercs have the same problems. My own Renault has the problem.

Its likely the issue is worse in hot, humid climates.

17. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    In 2010, Lotus started using that soft, rubberized surface on the door sills and dash of the Elise and Exige. You can imagine how those sills look today considering that you have to slide across them each time you exit and enter the car.

I'll never understand why automakers use that material.

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    A few parts of Mercedes have the problem, but not too many (I'm knocking on wood). Not as widespread it seems as Ferrari. My 2004 Porsche GT3 had the problem on the radio knobs, so quite isolated and easily cleaned with alcohol.

19. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    BINGO, there is your answer

Weakening their brand is definitely not something they are concerned with at this point considering how much garbage they are willing to put their logo on (baby bibs, coffee mugs and a million other cheap trinkets) Not to mention putting out 400k cars with horrendous orange peel paint finish.

Enzo would not approve. In the 80's someone at Ferrari put out embroidered patches. When Enzo found out he was so pissed off he had them all recalled and anyone caught selling a Ferrari patch would be banned from selling Ferrari merchandise. He didn't like that the logo could be put on any "cheap" garments. Look at the Ferrari store now, it's filled with junk, he must be turning over in his grave.

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's what I mean, they are leveraging the hell out of the brand with all of the licensing crap. Like it or not, the brand is a significant part of the value of the business beyond the cars. The strength of the brand still comes from the mystique surrounding the cars, so to have interiors melting for a couple of decades doesn't serve their licensing part of the business (or their car business) well.

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Neither tee shirts nor sticky bits seem to have hurt the image so far.
    It seems that normal market factors just don't apply to Ferrari.

22. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

To the OP, your solution is to either clean them yourself (search the forums here for many different methods people have tried) or to send them to Sticky No More to be refinished.

The reason to do it yourself is that it is free. The downside is that anywhere there is a painted on lettering or icon (door locks, window switches, vents, etc.) the white lettering or icon is going to get taken off.

The Sticky No More solution is going to result in a better look because the parts will be repainted and have the white lettering and icons re-applied. The downside is that it is quite expensive. The finish is a little bit different than the soft rubbery finish that the parts originally came with, but it's smooth and doesn't turn gooey.

I just had nearly everything in my interior redone by Sticky No More and my car looks brand new. It wasn't cheap though.

23. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I'm looking at a 360 and the PPI said it has a bad case of the stickies. How much did it cost?

24. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Cost also depends on how you take the parts off and who puts them back on. I did not feel comfortable taking door handles, switches, console off (time wise or abilities)so had a Porsche /Ferrari mech remove and replace them. Did the air conditioning vents myself and the dash vents myself. No need to remove these parts. If you choose to do these air conditioning vents by all means invest in cheap nylon upholstery pry bar (Amazon). Sticky no more for what I mentioned was < 2,000 , but I had no damaged parts gouged). Lighted switches have no decals so can clean up without losing the symbols, but restraints needed so as not to damage. Sticky no more does a very good job!
    Ps There really is no color change that I can detect from Vents that I removed the sticky material vs the SNM repaired. Make sure that the sticky parts on the PPI car in question have not been gouged, damaged by someones half hearted attempt to remove the stuff with abrasive materials as the purchase of new parts from Ferrari will be expensive.

25. burlroad

burlroad Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    David
    There's a nice article here (Aldous Voice) on the topic. Good luck.

aldousvoice.com/?s=Sticky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk