Do you drive your Fcar to work? | FerrariChat

Do you drive your Fcar to work?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GaryC430, Apr 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'm a new Fchatter. This may have been covered in other posts, but I didn't find it in a search. I've owned a manufacturing business in Ohio, 200+ employees, for 25 years. I always drove nice cars, BMWs, Mercs, etc. In 1990 I bought my first 911 cab, and I bought a new 911 in various forms, always red, every two or three years since. Drove them all to work, and they quickly became invisible.

I bought a 430 spider last year. As you know, it causes such an emotional reaction, both positive and negative, that I can't dream of driving it to the factory. An invisible turbo costs about the same, but the Porsche gets a complete pass. I believe if I drove it to work, I'd have a half mile lineup outside HR looking for an increase. No matter how well you compensate your associates, the Fcar is such a dramatic symbol of prosperity, real or perceived, that it cannot be shared.

So my question, do you drive your car to work?

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Hey Gary, fellow Ohioan.

This has been discussed at length here on this forum.
    Most people do NOT drive their Ferrari to work. I, on the other hand, do drive my Ferrari to my consulting company. I don't take it to client meetings or *gasp* construction sites, which I am sometimes called to visit.

If I were you, I'd probably skip driving the Ferrari to your plant. In my company, all of my employees are professionals, so it has become "invisible" as you say now. Nobody came to me demanding a raise. But, if your folks are of a bluer-collar nature, it might be wise to leave the Princess at home.

Good luck, join the FCA - we have an EXCELLENT chapter here in Ohio.

PM me if you want more info.

Raj

3. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes, I do.

To do otherwise would be to accede to the herd mentality.

4. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    I do but otherwise would not really drive it since the traffic is so bad in SoCal on the weekends that it's a really is not fun.

Fortunately, my parking is located a few blocks from my work but unfortunately a lot of my colleagues park at the same lot. So kind of stealth but not really since a lot of people have seen my car.

Since you own the business, why not a build a garage away from the main plant?

5. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I believe Raj probably hit the nail on the head, i.e., "Hey Captain Obvious, don't drive it to work"!

6. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Employees would still find out somehow. Then, he'd not only be the boss who drives a Ferrari. He'd be the boss who drives a Ferrari and spent money to construct a private garage so that nobody would know about it. I'm not sure that's an improvement...

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    On the other hand he worked hard and is reaping the benefits of his good fortune so why should he not drive his Ferrari any where he wants?

I am not being "snarky" just offering my outlook.

8. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Funny, I saw the other thread and thought...geez, I know the word "snarky is going to get worked into this thread :)

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Snarkanello?

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I used to work for Enterprise (the rental car agency) in one of their back office buildings in STL, where they are based. The owner of the company, by then a multi-billionaire, tried to go low key and drove a Buick Park Avenue to work.

except...

behind the building was a single car garage, in which he kept a Mercedes SL500. everyone knew it was there, but the charade continued. it just undermined people's respect for him; I don't think anyone held it against him, it was widely known how wealthy he was. But it was very disingenuous to "hide" your nice car in plain sight.

so I agree, either park it out front or leave it at home.

11. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Give the people what they want or expect and enjoy the mud slinging.

12. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    employees EXPECT the boss/owner to make more than them, driving the Ferrari is not a big deal and will not create a line outside HR for raises.

I have a day job and I DO drive my 360 to work AND I DO drive my 360 to consulting jobs for my side business, never any issue but the one time a comment was made, i just answered they were not over paying me, I was that good and got the job.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I don't think you give your employees enough credit. A new Turbo is hardly invisible and anyone can look up its cost in like 45 seconds. They know you like your cars, and if you are a good boss they will respect your vehicle choice.

If you really wanted to bring them over to your side, you could raffle off a short drive with you in the passenger seat.

14. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Mike, could be prosperous Santa Barbara versus blue collar Youngstown, Ohio. And to Raj's point, 80% of my staff is hourly manufacturing, not salaried professionals.

I drove the 430 to the grocery store yesterday, Easter Sunday, so the lot was largely empty. I went straight to the back of the lot and parked in a row of empty spaces. Came out ten minutes later and someone had parked a Pacer inches from the driver side, and on an angle so that I couldn't back out of the spot. Ohio mentality I guess, but its home.

15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #15 joker57676, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Raffle off a ride in his car? Maybe it's just me, but that sounds so pompous. I read this and all I hear is "which one of you lowly workers will be lucky enough to have the honor of sitting in, but certainly not driving, a car you'll never afford?"

These aren't children. They're grown adults. The honor of being driven around the block in the boss's car somewhat comical.

Mark

16. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    In general, never let co-workers have an idea of what your worth. Driving an exotic car to work is unwise and can ruin the way people look at you. If anything, you want people to think you are underpaid; an exotic car will mess that up badly.

On the hand, I've seen these cars driven to work by owners or senior execs as a way of encouraging lower ranking personnel to work harder for a potentially large payoff that could be used towards an F-Car or anything else that is coveted.

17. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    "Cherish this moment, worker. For I may lay you off one day."

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Depends on business type. If it's an industry where there is a pretty obvious hierarchy/chain of command like blue collar workers with a shop manager or nurses that work under a doctor, I wouldn't do it. Those people can make your life miserable if they interpret your car as a way of showing off that you're better or whatever weird interpretation they may have. Not worth the risk of more headaches at work.

In a place where people are more along the same level and paid well (salaries, good vacation and benefits packages, bonuses, etc) and money isn't the driving factor to work there, I think it would be okay. Like the Google boss driving a Ferrari shouldn't piss off employees in Palo Alto, but low paid steel workers in Pittsburgh would be if their boss showed up in one.

19. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I started the thread, obviously a topic visited before me joining, to say those little shields on the fenders illicit some strong emotions and opinions. Buy a vacation house...good for you, we'll come visit, an airplane...that must be a convenient way to travel, a Ferrari...now you've screwed with the balance of nature. Kind of like the Seinfeld episode when Kramer sees one of Jerry's comedy show paychecks and says he can't hang with him anymore.

To plagiarize, many people pay more for their SUV than their neighbor's Fcar, but there is an aura about them. I'm a newbie, but I kinda like it.

20. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I agree with the raffle part, don't do it.

However that is a bit far from the truth that they would never be able to afford one, the OP has a 430 so maybe they wont be able but a 360 certainly is affordable to most people in the U.S. with a job. Its all in the amount you (and my wonderful wife) are willing to sacrifice. If you want one, you can get one but most would rather have a nice house. Not many spouses are willing to sacrifice a vacation to Europe "because the 360 needs a clutch this year" and yes I had to tell that to my wife a few weeks ago.

21. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I think it's a shame that, in many cases, it would be viewed as insensitive or showy for people to drive their F cars to work. But, that's the world we live in, I guess. If this were Dubai or Hong Kong, they might look at you like you're poor for driving a 360 or an F430. But, alas, this is Ohio. And the choice we here have to make is can we enjoy the F car associated with work or not?
    I'm lucky, I can drive it to my office, but I have strict self-imposed rules about driving it to any work-related happenings (meetings off site or construction sites are a no-no to me). Outside of the work stuff, I drive it as much as I can. Walmart, Home Depot, the grocery store, just about anywhere. I love the car too much to leave it at home if the conditions and mission are right!

Oh well, 1% problems, right?

22. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Good grief, are you people ASHAMED of owning your Ferrari?

WGAS "what people think?"

You earned it; enjoy it.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Actually I disagree with you here. I think most Americans don't have squat. If the average income is 30-40k.. you really think people can buy a used $60-80k car? I don't. I think most people are making payments and not saving a dime on a $20-30k Honda. I think the Ferrari is still very much out of reach for most. In fact, I think most can't afford the down payment.

NO WAY I'd drive mine to work.

24. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I don't think it's being ashamed of owning the Ferrari, but more so understanding the realities of living in a VERY jealous world. I ride my lowly Ducati 748 to work when I can and get the third degree every now and then because it's a Ducati.

Mark

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #25 Wade, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've driven mine to work a few times during the past couple of years. I'm at the point now where, if they don't understand that a third of the vehicles in the lot cost more than either of mine, well... that's their problem.

Oh, and to the Facebook Crew, "Up yours!!!" :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login