Ferrari stock, time to sell? | FerrariChat

Ferrari stock, time to sell?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Falcon, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    Ferrari stock is over $70 a share. I'm thinking of getting out. They can pay for my next major. Is it over priced or should I keep it?

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I don't buy stocks without an "out" strategy, unless you are just putting the money in for a speculative long-term play and don't care if you lose it, break even or it goes up.

If you're not sure why you bought it, sell it. No one ever felt crappy ringing the register. ;-)

3. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Their doing sharebuybacks which pumps the price.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    80 is my target.

5. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Sell half, place a sell you are comfortable with on the rest.

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I don't see where Ferrari automobiles or F1 is doing anything to inspire tomorrow's buyers. They only appeal to the current crop of us taken by the red mist. The cars are bloated and mass produced, the styling has, IMO fallen way off since the 355. F1 team is middle of the pack and the brand has been hijacked by the lower class Europeans who wear their outfits the way hood rats in America wear Gucci. New justifications for selling more and more cars every year emerge diluting the rarity. Seriously hope I'm wrong but see the brand waning in the future.

3POINT8 likes this.
  7. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    So I guess one way to show your disapproval is selling any stock, and vehicles for that matter. Unfortunately no matter what car they make, they will always have buyers, so it is hard to twist their hand i.e. Coke Classic. I believe they are reaching for a younger audience in order to hook them for life, but in turn they are creating worse products. The are having an identity crisis because the market is increasingly different from their business model. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Embrace change, but do not force it............

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I hate to say it, but my gut says they will go the way of Porsche and very much milk the equity of the nameplate. I think Ferrari's 'best days' are ahead of it financially (hence I don't plan to liquidate any holdings) - but its 'best days' as an enthusiast will forever be enshrined pre-1970.

randkin and 3POINT8 like this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree with the comment above and the analogy to Porsche, but not to the extent Porsche has gone. I think Ferrari will continue to grow and will have no problems financially. This is a well established company and not one that will disappear or market correct like so many tech-boom companies did earlier this century nor like the app-based companies in the near future imo.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I honestly think Ferrari lost it when they dropped Pininfarina. I loved seeing that label on the cars. The in house design (dare I say it) have a very Japanese flavor to them. The cars still look great, but they just don't give me that "feeling" anymore. Maybe I'm around them too much.

3POINT8 likes this.
  11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I get the same feeling, but I attribute it to being an old fart who still listens to R&R from the 60s & 70s, didn't grow up with a nanny and don't want any now.

Actually, I like sculpture and just love the look of older european sports cars and two door sedans. Things had design in them beyond purpose, like a door handle, a switch, a vent . . . .

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think it's expensive, and inherently limited in growth due to its organizational stubbornness. Sell at $75 or if something volatile happens in the economy.

13. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Agree completely.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Prospects may have improved in the past hour :)

15. Enzo91

Enzo91 Rookie

Aug 11, 2016
    Ferrari literally just won the Australian Grandprix. Id hardly call that middle of the pack.

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know what you mean, but unfortunately Pininfarina is only a label now. The talent that once authored the designs are all gone. I think Ferrari made the right move, too bad it has come to an end, but the right move.

17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Agreed.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Price is getting there - US $74-67.

March 27, 2017

"Ferrari rose to a record in Milan the day after Sebastian Vettel won the Australian Grand Prix, taking the Italian "Scuderia" back to number one in the Formula One rankings after 27 races out of the top spot.

Shares rose as much as 3.6 per cent to €68.5, the highest since the Italian supercar-maker’s debut on the Milan exchange at the beginning of 2016, following its separation from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and an initial public offering of a 10 per cent stake in New York in October 2015. The shares were up 2 per cent at 12:41pm local time, giving the company a market value of €12.7 billion.

The chief executive Sergio Marchionne has made revamping the Formula One racing team one of his top priorities at the Italian company, which moved its legal base to the Netherlands as part of the spin-off. Success on the track is seen as crucial to underpinning the brand image as Marchionne looks to widen Ferrari’s line-up and expand into non-automotive luxury goods."

19. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    It's now over ninety! Its good to be a procrastinator.

20. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Not to mention the "...F1 team is middle of the pack..." prediction in this thread.

21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Some stocks are best bought and left to ferment ;)
    It was too risky a ride for me, personally.

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yeah and my old broker said you really had to have the right bank connections to buy too. He has since left for Wells Fargo but I stayed with Morgan Stanley and got into a moderate to aggressive portfolio with the "Pittsburgh Group."

23. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So did you sell $10 ago? :)

I only wish I had bought more than a handful.

24. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    UBS has now put a target of $100 since talk of a SUV and higher volumes. Looks like the 308/328 models will be considered low volume and rare in the not to distant future!

25. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    It's now over $100 and still going. I bought this on a lark. Just wanted to get the annual reports. I'm just going to hold it for now. I don't want to pay the capital gains!