Car Damage at the Concorso Italiano, Beware | FerrariChat

Car Damage at the Concorso Italiano, Beware

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mdivasc, Mar 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdivasc

mdivasc Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    Oakland CA
    Full Name:
    Michael I.
    Just a note to the Ferrari owners who attend the Concorso Italiano in Monterey CA.
    Although I'm really and Alfa guy, I thought The Ferrari folks should be aware of an event that occurred to my car last August.

I brought 3 Alfas to the Concorso, and Specifically was requested to bring my '67 Duetto (Alfa Spider Veloce) Since it was the 50th anniversary of the Car.

At the urging of the event organizers, I was requested to bring the Duetto the night before for early placement on the field to arrange all the Duettos in advance for the event.
    So I brought my car the evening before and left it there with a cover overnight.

When I arrived in the AM, to my surprise, someone from the event, had driven a transporter Golf Cart across the nose of my car and dented and scratched the nose.
    The event organizers were aware and were apologetic that this occurred, and stated they would contact their insurance about the event.

Now mind you this occurred likely after any participant was even left at the event the night before the Concours. They readily admitted that this was likely done by their staff, or possibly a vendor.

After the event I contacted the organizers and after a couple of weeks heard nothing. After a number of further calls I finally was in able to get touch with their insurance company, and about 3 months after the event they inform me that I have no claim with them and their coverage does not cover "Competition Vehicles"
    In fact the concorso has a specific exclusion of any coverage for vehicles.

I thought this was crazy, you're running a car show and you have no coverage for damage done to cars, by your people?

Nevertheless, I requested that the Concorso cover the damages to my car and they refused, they suggested either I sue them and then their insurance coverage might cover them or process the claim through my Insurance (Chubb) and suggest that the subrogate the claim to them.

Currently my car is in the process of a repaint (which Chubb paid for), but you all should know that if you bring a car to this event, they will cover nothing even if their staff damages your car.

Needless to say this is the last time I'll be going to the Concorso (having been a participant for at least 9-10 years with multiple cars in the past.

Good luck if you car ever has issues there, you are on your own.

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I've never entered my cars in a car show! What's the point. Doesn't really benefit you. You are taking a chance that thousands of people will be around your car and hopefully NO ONE will damage it. That ain't fun.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I did that show once years ago with my Dino. Once was enough! What a pain...

4. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    #4 Lussolover, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Sorry to rant but as a spectator who has been to this show I read this and had to post.

Thank god most people with classic Ferrari's don't share this point of view. If you have a garage queen classic Ferrari or other car and you don't drive it or bring it to shows what exactly does one do with it? If everyone said this car culture would be pretty crappy as well as car shows. It's also highly amusing when you are use to seeing 250 gto's and other precious machinery battling on the racetrack. I guess there are different leagues for different players. :) in all seriousness it's sad you won't be bringing your cars out for us mere mortals to see on occassion.

If you really are into cars do you not like going to shows meeting other owners and checking out cars, doesn't that benefit you?

Not to be rude but don't you have a whole stable of supercars, are you that scared of getting a scratch, jeez it sounds really crummy when yoy say it doesn't even benefit you. Depressing to read man.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    WTF has the number of cars he owns, or the fact he likes to keep them looking 100%, got to do with malicious damage? Jealous much?

If the organisers want people to exhibit their cars for free, while they make money from the events, then they need to operate with respect for the vehicles and the owners. If they don't, why should anyone exhibit their cars.

When you park your car at a public car park, are you supposed to be pleased if some dumb yummy mummy bashes your doors in getting her ugly offspring into their car seat? I mean, it's only a car, and only YOUR money she is costing you for repairs.

6. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    #6 Lussolover, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Of course nobody would welcome their car getting damaged or put it in danger but they are meant to be used. Sorry if i was out of line but I enjoy seeing wonderful cars and that I won't apologize for!

I don't think a lot of mailcious damage is happening at car events. I hope you are not implying people shoild be paid for bringing their car to a show? How about each car owner is paid times 300 ugh ya? Maybe each time someone looks over a vehicle at a show they pay the owner of each car directly, people could setup little jars to put the money in for each car.

I am an enthusiast and I like to see these types of cars so I think calling me jealous is pretty low.

Also since the op came on here with one post in hopes of trashing the concorso well guess what, taking your car to an event show and dropping it off there a night early so it stays unattended on a dark field? I mean really? This just seems brainless.

7. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    Dude wtf? Can you read?

OP complied with a request made by the show.

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

What the OP stated:-

"At the urging of the event organizers, I was requested to bring the Duetto the night before for early placement on the field to arrange all the Duettos in advance for the event.
    So I brought my car the evening before and left it there with a cover overnight."

Who is "brainless" now?

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've done this at much smaller shows where they weren't holding parties the night before on the field and it's been fine. But I don't think I'd be doing that at CI these days or any show out there unless it was in a trailer. These shows and the entire weekend has just gotten too big since the Early days. Even back then, and I was at the very first one, I had someone try and steal a part off my car. It was tiny show by comparison back then. Four years ago when I was at Fall Hershey and someone ripped of a rare part from a 30's Packard in the for sale lot.

News flash - people suck.

But you could get side swiped in a hit and run out on the road too but you still take it out and drive it.

I understand your anger and I bet that this is how the insurance companies want you to handle the claim instead of doing the gentlemanly thing and just paying for the damage.

Settle for damages, attorney's fees and a bit of aggravation. But I agree their insurance company should be contacting you. Given that they invited you to do this I bet your attorney will be able to fix this up. That's how it worked when I tripped on a horrific set of stairs in poor condition at a historic restaurant in Charlestown last year. My camera broke. It all got taken care of with a few phone calls.

10. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    What's that got to do with anything??

They told him bring the car out the night before. He did. As a result, his car got hit, and they're telling him tough ****.

And now he should just go "oh well, that's life"? Are you kidding me?

11. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Amazing how people who don't own show cars think the rest of us should foot the bill for repairs so that they have the opportunity to damage them. That's a reality I never want to live in. Maybe if they all had to pay a repair bill and be without the car for the months they often take to repair, they'd get a clue.

I don't take my cars to shows and never will. There's a complete lack of respect by everyone involved. I bought my cars for me to drive and that's what I do with them.

This show should have paid for the repair and they are a huge example of exactly what's wrong with car shows. If the organizers have no respect for the vehicles, what expectation do you have that the spectators will?

And for the record, my husband used to run the gate at Cars and Coffee in Dallas and a LOT of damage occurs at car shows. Which is exactly why our cars are never there.

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think you need to read my post again and instead of getting angry think about what I said. I'm not excusing their response just explaining it.

He learned something but if he has enjoyed going to the show and meeting friends in commarderier there why give that all up because of this. To me that's letting the morons win.

I'll relay another Concourso week end story and see if you get what I'm trying to say. A lot of years ago another friend brought his prize winning original car for the weekend and we had a roped off section of the motel garage in which to park. When he got in that night there were literally zero places to park except for a handicapped spot. When asked the motel manager to get some of the unauthorized cars out of our section he told he would not and said it would be fine to park in the HC spot. When he came out the next morning his car was key laced. He didn't come back for a couple of years but eventually he brought the same car back and took first place again. He missed his friends.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Bingo! Granted mine has a few dings on her that I don't know if I WANT to repair because if I do.. she'll be pristine again and the first dent mars everything.

What's ridiculous about this is that THEY WOULD CHARGE ADMISSION (said with emphasis.. not yelling) and make money on you showing your car, and then tell you "oh well too bad" when YOUR car gets trashed by their people. They make money while you get stuck with the bill. I'd take them to court if it was me. At the very least have my attorney send a letter.

If I had a car that was worthy of showing.. I don't know if I would. I kinda like it when the parking lot has nicer cars than the show. :)

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Wait until.. if... you have a car worthy of showing. THEN see how you feel. You might be a respectable participant enthusiast but others might not be that respectful.

15. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I think there are 2 things cooking in this thread.

1. What the OP described is the worst nightmare for anyone generous enough to show their car. From the sound of it, the event has become a place many may want to avoid. This seems to be seconded by others who have had bad experiences.
    As far as the insurance experience, it sounds reprehensible. You will not have to search far to find others who question whether insurers are in the insurance business or in the never-pay-any-claim-ever business, and that's a shame.
    Best of luck to finally getting some kind of resolution with (hopefully) some degree of satisfaction. What a nightmare.

2. The second thing seems to revolve around the subsequent poster's statement, "doesn't really benefit you".
    For his sake, I hope this a quickly composed answer to a post rather than a philosophical outlook.

I think reasonable minds can agree that different people have different experiences showing cars. It's not for everyone. I have a friend who has had good experiences showing off cars worth 8-figure at concours and cars & coffee events alike over a period of 25+ years. That's certainly not the experience the OP had.
    Your mileage may vary.

16. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Why? Unless you're a "hey, look at me" sort of person, who bought the car so that you could attract attention, then car shows don't benefit you personally. True gearheads (ie. people who don't have their ego tied up in what they drive) buy cars because they love to drive them.

A car show might benefit a charity, or the sponsor, or a dealer if it's held on his lot, but the people showing their cars give up their own time (which is money) and risk damage to their cars to be there. Where is the benefit?

17. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    The few concours I have entered in the past required me signing a damage waiver, holding the show organizers harmless . Seems like the OP did not sign such document. Ultimately I would guess that Chubb will go after show organizers or the golf course for retribution.

18. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Blows my mind when people actually pay $10 or more to show the car they worked soo hard on at a car show.

I have held the opinion that car shows should be paying all car owners to display cars. The cars Are the entertainment after all!

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    People with self-centred entitlement attitudes like Lussolover's and Concorso Italiano's organizers are reasons why I would never want to bother with them... for anything.

20. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    There are many reasons (and benefits) to show(ing) a car beyond being the type of person you describe.
    I agree with you that true gearheads (should) love to drive the cars they have. That said, I think the term 'true gearhead' is neither limited to nor necessarily defined by the definition you have proposed.

I respect your opinion(s) whether we agree on everything or not.

I stand by my original point which I think you have quoted well. I don't wish to define it further as I don't know how to do so without some people (perhaps) reading it as an indictment of their outlook.
    I will simply say that there's clearly a rationale for people disagreeing with the 2nd poster's words that I highlighted.

21. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    You think that story supports your argument?

22. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    A clear rationale that you refuse to explain.

Here's how I explain it. People like me are of the opinion that we worked hard for the cars, pay for the cars, repair the cars, and have zero obligation to bring them to car shows. Other people (not saying this is you but I know plenty of them) are of the opinion that I work hard for the cars, repairs the cars, and that I should have to share them with others.

I'm anti entitlement. No one has any obligation to share any of their personal property with strangers. If they chose to, that is fine, but the attitude that someone owning something nice means you owe other people is what is wrong with society.

23. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's a broad brush Jana. For years, I was on the outside looking in. I always appreciated a collector/exotic car owner who was willing to "share" their vehicle with us "deplorables." Now granted, I was taught to respect other people's property, and never touched or got too close to a car on display.

As an owner, I've had a few instances where I've had to remind someone not to touch or watch out for their buckle or baby stroller as they examined my Ferrari or Pontiac GTO. Yes, it's frustrating some people haven't the respect I mentioned earlier. But I try to keep in mind the majority of people mean well and when corrected, usually apologize.

I'm blessed to have these cars and love sharing them with others. Sometimes, I even take people for rides or let them sit in it for their cameras. I don't have a "hey look at me" personality. I've never forgotten what it was like to be among the crowd of dreamers at car shows.

As for paying to display a car...I can't think of an event I've participated in that wasn't for charity. I just look at it as giving back. Never displayed at Concorso (attended several times) but I have plans to because I would enjoy having my car there with my Ferrari friends. That fellowship and camaraderie is another benefit of owning these great cars.

Cheers.

24. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I never called anyone names. I said there is a lack of respect and it's getting worse. I don't think anyone with two eyes and clear vision will disagree with that.

I have a real problem with statements like this because the implication is that God chose to bless you with a car, meaning everyone without one he chose to ignore. I know you don't mean it that way, but that's exactly how it's interpreted by so many people.

I take people for rides, let them sit in my cars, and take pics all the time when I happen to be in public and am seen. But I do not go seeking people to look at my cars.

I also remember what it was like to dream and not own. I also know what it's like to be called a "rich c" simply for owning an automobile. Society is not what it used to be and a lot of us are sick and tired of being hated for being successful or having our concerns (like damage to our hard-earned vehicles) dismissed because we're "rich and can afford it."

25. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What word would you use? Lucky? I used blessed. That's how I feel. Blessed with good health, a good upbringing, a good work ethic, good friends, good profession, a good wife and family. It's all perspective. I am blessed. I'm not preaching at you and I think you're reading too much into it. Have a great day Jana! God bless, :)