Gransport more rare than F430 | FerrariChat

Gransport more rare than F430

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Booker, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Here's a quick review of the Maserati Gransport! It may not be a Ferrari, but it is more rare than the F430 and has a similar engine;)

As I get better at these, we will feature Ferraris and get more in depth. Until then, please enjoy...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK72FoXxBTg&[/ame]

-Jack

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    These are great cars and fairly rare. Better looking than a vantage and comparable performance. Under valued.

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    As I said in the other thread, great vid. Keep it up! (btw - is that Rob's GS?)

I think many (me included and I own a Gransport) would suggest not saying the engines are "similar". (even with a winky face)

Three big differences off the top of my head:

1) 20% HP delta!
    2) Cross plane vs. flat plane crank (very big diff imho).
    3) 1000rpm redline delta (mostly due to #2 above, but also other differences)

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Agree on all. Sadly, the "undervalued" part is all too true (for those of us that own one, but alas an oppty for those that do not).

I loved my GS spider for these past 8 years. Its pending sale at $33k (with fresh service, tires and top straps - and its only got 18k miles and two owners in its life). So, somebody is getting a hell of a lot of exotic car for little money.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The 4200 Spyder is more fun than the bigger grandsport. Bigger is not better when it comes to sport cars.

6. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Where/how is the gransport bigger?

7. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Yes it is Rob's! Also, I recognize those differences, however from a design and engineering perspective, it is the same engine family - the F136- widely regarded as the Ferrari-Maserati engine.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The 4200 Spyder has a shorter wheelbase than the later Gransport.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    But the 4200 spyder has the same wheelbase as the Gransport Spyder, and the Gransport Spyder is a better car!

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Are you sure? Isn't the Grandsport a 2+2? You may be right because I have never looked it up. I just remember my 4200 as having a lot of interior room for a 6'2" fat guy.

Granted my old Spyder was a dog at the track, massive understeer. But those days are over the shoulder for me. But for cruising down the road, priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    They made some GS Spyders, too, IIRC, but not a lot... so you essentially had 4 versions of the 4200-series:

4200 Coupe (2+2)
    4200 Spyder (2-seater)
    4200 GS Coupe (2+2)
    4200 GS Spyder (2-seater)

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I must say that I bought a 2006 Gransport LE used in 2008 with approx 9500 miles on it. Nero Carbonio, Shields, Black leather with CF, and ball polished wheels. Funnest car I ever owned. Trans was fantastic , Sound superb, Comfort superb, wish I never sold it. Handling pretty good for a street car, And I say that because I have had plenty of experience Road Racing Cars and Cycles since the 90s. I owned it till 2012 with 0 (zero) isuues until 2100 miles. Wish I still had it. Oh , and never any hate out on the road, Bikers, Tuners, Men, Women, all had positive comments and excitement toward it

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny thing is women loved my Maser Spyder. Only guys liked my Maranello. :) Seriously, I would come out of an office building with women standing around looking at the car... not me.

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    really a great car. under rated. If it didn't loose money like a Honda life would be good

15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

All women I dated loved my Gransport Spider (which is only a 2 seater and no bigger than the 4209 spider...it is decidedly better in every way over the base spider).

Few like the CS.

The Mayor who has had the maser and many Ferrari's also said he experienced the same iirc.

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Some guy just bought an 18k mile, 2-owner, GS spider for $33k with a fresh service. So he doesn't have much to lose from this point on! Repair bills will be the primary cost of ownership. Which is a crapshoot, so he may get lucky (or not).

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    More rare doesn't mean anything to value. A Yugo is much rarer than a Ferrari. That doesn't make it more desirable or valuable.

I had a Maserati spyder cambiocorsa. I do agree women liked the car much more than my F430 spider. But it was no F430 spider. And, it does not have the same motor as the F430. A relationship? Yes. Same motor -- no. For one thing the Maserati didn't have a flat plane crank, had different pistons, heads, fuel injection and who knows what else.

I had mine something like 12 years. Its pretty, comfortable, and smooth but has a lot of cowl shake. No-- I'm wrong. A LOT of cowl shake. :) And the GPS was useless

The gearbox is similar to the 360 modena in terms of shifting speed. It did have a problem in going up inclines like freeway on ramps. Sometimes the clutch would slip too much and sometimes it would grab too much.

Despite that, I liked it a lot.

18. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I think you're thinking of the GranTurismo maybe? The GranSport is a 4200 Spyder with some body kit stuff and interior changes. I believe they also tuned the intake a bit.

Definitely undervalued but the reason for that is the expensive repairs.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #19 Texas Forever, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks. You guys know your Masers better than me. I brought mine for $60k, had a lot of fun with it, and then sold it for $60k. It wasn't a hot rod, just a fun car to drive around. Funny, of all the cars won and lost, it was the only one my wife liked. Might have to get another one someday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sorry but you guys are missing the point. The GranSport is considerably better than the 4200 series. The suspension was heavily revised with the help of Gabriele Tarquini (multi-champion driver on touring racing) and the Cambiocorsa gearbox response was improved. Drove both back to back and they are very different. The 4200 handling fells lazy, rolls and understeers. The GS is feels much better, a very proper handling for a gran tourer.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What years are you talking about? Are all the GS cars 2+2s?

22. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That's what I thought. The wheelbase on the 4200 Spyder is 96" and the length is 169". According to C&D, the wheelbase on the GS is 105" and the length is 178". So the GS is about nine inches longer, I know, I know...

24. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The Spyder variants for both the 4200 and GranSport are shorter than the coupes.

As far as the US market goes, the 4200 Coupe was made from 2002 until 2006. The GranSport was introduced (I believe) in 2005 and made until 2006. Like Flavio said it had quite a few improvements but based on the same car.

The Spyder was made from 2002 until 2005. I'm not sure on this either but I think the GranSport Spyder that replaced it was only made in 2006.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    nope, least expensive car we have and we've put 50k miles on it. no belts, reliable, quality... not expensive.