LA Times on David Lee's collection... | FerrariChat

LA Times on David Lee's collection...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NYC Fred, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    I'm surprised by this. My sense from following his IG is that he's pretty humble, loves the brand and represents it well.

Good for him on not changing. I completely agree with his approach of sharing the joy rather than hiding the cars in a garage.

2. NTRLOPER

NTRLOPER Karting

Mar 3, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerry
    Well that article certainly isn't going to help his cause....I like his IG feed, the fact that he is passionate about the marque, and drives his collection, but like it or not it's their prerogative to sell to whomever they choose. Supporting an article questioning why he's not on the list is just sour grapes. He could've politely told the LA Times that he didn't want to support the article.....now he's the only one getting positive press out of this and Ferrari comes off looking like the bad guy. Good luck getting on that list now.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was waiting.. waiting with my breath held to read about the "rich people problems" comments in the end of the article but in general people were supportive. I actually like his enthusiasm. I think it works well for the Ferrari brand personally, rather than against it. The other exposure is what.. Blac Chyna and the Kardashians showing the cars like an accessory versus the collectable art approach.

I think it's such a stupid game. Tell a rich guy "NO" so he wants your car even more. Then, buy they buy it used at a markup anyway. Stupid. If I want a Ferrari.. I don't care if I buy it new or used and I wouldn't have a problem telling a dealer off if I found a way around their stupid game. It's just a matter of time until the Aperta is in his arms.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    On what grounds?

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think this comment is what sums it up

6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I think his friendship with Jay Leno works against him, Petty in my opinion "Hate the singer
    love the song".
    D.

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    +1

8. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Wow, this guy must be selling a lot of watches. I didn't realize one can make that much money selling watches retail.

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    If being friends with a car guy like Leno is wrong, I wouldn't want to be right! :D

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Challenge/Corsa Clienti involvement was a requirement for LaFa/LaFaAp status? If so, then it's not like it's a mystery why he wasn't chosen.

11. moldynotepad

moldynotepad Rookie

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I only heard of him recently since I am in the market for a Ferrari. From a cursory glance it seems he might be more in the real estate business than the watch business at this point.

I think he has two locations? Each location, his watch store is the anchor for the plaza. He probably owns the plaza too. He has car meets at the plaza to drive traffic and promote.

So the watch business, real estate, and cars to promote both (directly and indirectly) are his circle jerk of monetization is my guess.

12. Enzo91

Enzo91 Rookie

Aug 11, 2016
    People say the guy is humble and passionate about the cars but I'm not too sure about that. Every time I see this guy it seems like he's flaunting money or promoting himself. Which is good for business I guess but I can see how it would rub people the wrong way. My biggest issue is every time he shows off a car, he always manages to sneak in how much its worth. The only people I have ever seen do that are young athletes who just signed a major contract and rappers. Every other collector will dance around the question and direct the conversation back to the merits of the car. I'm not surprised Ferrari won't sell him their limited run cars.

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I know of two people in Switzerland who both got a LF and who are NOT involved at all in the Challenge/Corse Clienti programs.

Marcel Massini

14. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Gordon Ramsey also has both, according to the man himself when on Top Gear.

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave

David Lee seems like a positive force in the car world. I think it's great that he makes his cars accessible at car shows and shares them on shows like Jay Leno or on IG.

He does talk a lot about how much money he has, which to the old money crowd is like nails on a chalk board. I don't know who runs Ferrari these days but I personally find it a bit distasteful sometimes. He obviously has a lot of money and a lot of Ferrari's, no need to remind us of that fact at every opportunity. But he's likely proud of his success and it may be partly cultural. He also discusses personal issues like his faith a lot, which can turn some people off, or make PR people at corporations wary sometimes.

On the other hand, David Lee has hardly been left out in the cold by Ferrari. They gave him the commission for the 70th anniversary "McQueen spec" F12 that was based on SM's iconic brown Lusso. I think they also gave him a couple of other special builds. He's not the only super rich guy in line for a special car. And honestly, I don't think this makes Ferrari look bad. This was probably a conscious decision on their part to make them seem even more ultra exclusive, like "even our best customers can't get every car they want from us."

Lee will likely buy a barely used version of this car at auction in the near future for well above what it's worth new. Then he'll have his car and Ferrari will have boosted their brand image. Win win.

16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I don't know the guy personally but never liked him from his social media persona. I don't know if he's purposely doing it or it's just coming across that way, but he's trying too hard. You can see many signs of that and the LA Times article does a good job of mentioning many of them.

There was also a spat a year or two ago between him and Salomondrin, stupid childish **** which I didn't expect at this level. I stopped following them both shortly after. Most of these social media guys aren't car guys to me. Maybe they once were but then they get sucked into the likes and views contest and they detract from what initially made them popular with car guys.

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sounds to me like they are setting him up to get the next supercar. This was a test to see how he reacted.

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yes that is puzzling :confused:

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Apparently they really are huge retailers of new watches, with strong online sales as well.

But also, I think DL took a lot of the early money he made in watches and jewelry and reinvested it in real estate. I'd wager a lot of his cash comes from there as well.

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It doesn't seem like he orders a lot of cars from the factory. It looks like buys at auction, or used from dealers (with the exception of the LaF that he said tried to order.)
    I thought a history of factory orders was the primary requirement.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Can confirm it's not a requirement, but especially in the XX series you do get priority

22. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    It was a reference to Preston Henn...

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I read it and it seems like he has been ordering pretty much everything they make direct from the factory.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua