Experiences with World Wide Ferrari New York | FerrariChat

Experiences with World Wide Ferrari New York

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Schomer, Jul 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schomer

Schomer Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    Just wanted to loop folks in on a recent purchase of an F430 I purchased from Wide World Ferrari in New York.

I was assured the car’s previous owner took incedible care of the car and all service was done at their dealership. I was given an inspection report. They said they inspect all used cars they receive and inspect them again before they are sold.

So, if this dealer truly inspected the vehicle, I would have thought the following issues should have been noted in the report (spoiler alert: they weren’t):

- Broken motor mounts (the entire car shakes, terribly, when running)
    - Two broken tail lights. One of them was barely hanging onto the car.
    - Ball joints shot, making terrible noise when turning and driving over any sort of hill/bump.
    - Air conditioner compressor not working. The AC doesn’t blow cold at all.
    - Chipped body areas behind both seats - where headrests have been hitting the body, causing pieces of the car to chip off.

Wide World Ferrari did take care of most of these items. They paid to have everything except the AC fixed. So, that’s mostly great.

I wouldn’t have bought the car if they had noted these items. I would have negotiated to have the issues addressed before buying.

But the real point is, if you think your dealer is sufficient for inspecting a car, think again. They totally dropped the ball on this one. Learning lesson… I’ll get a car inspected by another party next time.

Next, I’ll see if Wide World wants to reconsider helping with the AC… I hope they do the right thing by making this car match their inspection report.

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    3rd party PPI

Over and over

3. Dr. Lawrence Miller

Dr. Lawrence Miller Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2011
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lawrence Miller

I'm sorry you had to go through that with the dealership. It sounds like another nefarious Ferrari dealership where they value money more than integrity in business. I can relate with my negative experience with Ferrari Maserati of Vancouver (see associated thread). As far as I'm concerned, if one of us has a problem with a dealership/owner, then we all have a problem with that dealership/owner. I support you all the way in trying to get them to reconsider helping with the AC!

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I don't understand why they would fix everything but the AC, surely common sense says they should fix that too, you don't buy cars with broken suspension, you also don't buy it with broken AC. It may not be an essential to drive it, but it's obvious that if a car is claimed to be perfect, everything it it should work at least in an average manner (i.e., you don't expect brand new brakes tyres etc, but you do expect a reasonable amount of life left in all of them to get you started)

Good luck with getting the AC fixed by them.

At least they haven't treated you like Vancouver treated the doc, those guys up there are nothing short of criminals

5. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    a long tgo a car used salesman I knew told me a trick he used was if an item wasn't working properly and it was not something that the traffic inspectors could defect the vehicle for he would purposely not mention it in the ad he placed in the paper because he then did not have to cover it in the vehicles limited used car warranty! Perfect example would be non working a/c, he would leave it out of the noted highlights when he advertised it and he then was not claiming it worked and would not have to repair it later under warranty.
    I knew him, I didn't like him or his ethics but used car salesman do have reputations for a reason sometimes.
    Obviously a high end sportscar is a different scenario but the are shifty (and reputable) salesman everywhere

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i'm confused - if you bought it from a dealer you should have a warranty for 90 days or something.

7. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    what is wrong with the AC? does it not engage? is it low on refrigerant? does it need a reset? have you taken it to another dealer to look at it?

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Wait a minute.. didn't you lease a 430 from Yellow Compass?

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah, you have two or was this that car? What's up?

10. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    You're right but that shouldn't be necessary when buying from a dealer

11. Schomer

Schomer Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    I was told New York has a built-in 90 day warranty for all used cars, but now am told it doesn’t cover these kinds of problems. I am trying to find better info about the warranty to see if there is something I can do, legally.

12. Schomer

Schomer Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    Great memory! Yes, I did get help from Yellow Compass to locate this car (among other things). They have been instrumental in helping me through the process of getting these things addressed by the dealer.

I believe, if I had not worked with Yellow Compass on this that the dealer wouldn’t have fixed anything.

The learning lesson here is to always get another inspection. I thought you could trust a Ferrari dealer. You can’t.

I think the reason they’re not fixing the AC is because I told them about it a month after dealing with the other issues. I hadn’t even run the AC until last week, when it finally got hot here - and that’s when I realized it didn’t work. The compressor is bad.

13. Schomer

Schomer Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    I thought, if a Ferrari dealer inspected the vehicle, I’m all set. They also told me the car had a 90 day warranty.

Of course, now, I’m finding things they missed (if they checked at all), and they’re telling me the warranty doesn’t cover these things.

Their general manager talks to me like I should be thanking him for covering most of the items.

Had I known about these issues, we would have negotiated to have them addressed before purchase. How he thinks I would be thanking him, is beyond me. They basically did not inspect this car, other than visually.

Thankfully, I love the car. It’s beautiful. I don’t regret buying it. But if/when I buy another one, I’ll be spending the extra few bucks to have another person check it out.

14. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    I need AC.

15. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
  16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You got help from a 3rd party to locate this car. What was their assessment of the car? I don't get what they did for you, if you have all these problems and lastly was there a fee for their service?

17. Schomer

Schomer Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    Yes, they did help me find the car and they did a ton of other things for me as well. They were a great partner in this and they continue to support me. I’m happy to be working with them.

What happened here was a legit Ferrari dealer dropped the ball on the inspection. They produced an inspection report which did not note these issues. When I received the car, and started driving it, I started to notice things and wasn’t sure if it was sort of standard Ferrari sounds and feelings or if they were real issues. My friends at Yellow Compass helped me nail down the issues that slipped by Ferrari NY, and helped get things resolved. This is why I’m happy working with Yellow Compass. They have your back, always.

18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I'm sure it varies from state to state but often the statutory warranties that cover used car sales require the dealer to fix anything that would make the car unusable or unsafe to operate -- clutch, brakes, lights, exhaust, etc. -- for a period of time. Things like AC, radios, power windows, and so forth, would not be covered.

Sorry to hear of your experience.

19. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Moral of the story, dealers are dealers, nothing more. Always get a PPI even if the seller is your mother.

I sympathize with your troubles Schomer but it seems like most of the people who have post purchase problems for some reason or another never got a PPI.

20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Absolutely. Caveat Emptor.
    In this case most of the defects should have been evident to even a layman after a cursory inspection and a test drive.

21. Dr. Lawrence Miller

Dr. Lawrence Miller Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2011
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lawrence Miller
    I agree completely with your post!

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If I were selling that car I would have listed it as - is with the issues noted up front. I mean, it's not their fault the car has repair needs. It is what it is and how it arrived there.

I would price it accordingly and tell any potential buyer if they had it repaired at their facility (of which they are under no obligation do do so) I would do it at a substantial discount as a gesture of good will.

Where is the down side to this ?

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Hell, I may even be a little sneaky and not fix something cheap to fix (not charge them as if I did) and call the next day to see if the customer is happy. If he brings it up, I would roll out the red carpet and have the cheap thing fixed for free and throw in a steak dinner for his troubles. If he doesn't mention it, I would bring it up myself and say this was overlooked and please bring it back - and to the same free fix/steak thing.

If I were sneaky (in a good way)

This day and age, the service industry needs to really be bending over backwards to make customers happy. Whatever it takes.