How does Black interior feel in a convertible? | FerrariChat

How does Black interior feel in a convertible?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TG, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Not necessarily limited to Ferrari's, but my next purchase will be a convertible. When I come across black interior convertibles I can't help but think about how hot the seats must get; while your sitting and obviously parked. Is it bearable or better to find an option with a lighter interior? In Southern California btw where it is always sunny.

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Ok when driving. Need something covering any empty seat either parked or driving. Mondial is tan and that's fine but steering wheel is too hot to touch if not covered.

Jeep needs covers for top down as black leather was bad idea.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  4. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Had an MGB with black vinyl interior. I think I lost a layer of skin one summer.

Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch...

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've had several convertibles in CA (mostly Northern though). Both tan and black interiors. The black leather definitely soaks up the heat more than lighter colours, but your body temp is almost 100 degrees, so on all but the hottest days you're hotter than the seat is. It's just the difference of a quick "oooh, that's hot" and "Yow, that's HOT!" right at the moment when you get in. Other than that - same same. After 3 minutes you can't tell the difference.

My 2 cents, anyway. I find the biggest difference not to be paint or interior colour but between coupe and convertible period. On a 100 degree day in L.A. if you jump into a coupe you can blast the AC, which even in older cars usually cools things down pretty well. A convertible on a 100 degree day is just plain hot. Feels nice and breezy at 80 mph on the freeway, but between city streets, stop lights, and freeway traffic, prepare to be hot a lot of the time. That said, I love it. Nothing like driving with the top down in the ultra-bright over exposed light of LA. Makes the whole world feel like a dream.

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Internal body temp is 98.6 degrees. Skin temp not so much.

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Vinyl is a killer in any colour. Freezing in the winter. Scalding in the summer!

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We're heading off on a tangent but if I take a "fever strip" style thermometer and place it against my skin anywhere on my body, I get 97. something...

I don't know if that's always the same as my internal temp, but it usually matches. Maybe I'm a weirdo!

9. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure there is a simple answer based solely on color. I've had three convertible sports cars with black upholstery: Sunbeam Alpine with black vinyl, Miata with black cloth and Maserati with black leather. The Miata was probably the coolest and the Alpine the warmest but not hot. The Alpine's cabin space was fairly generous, compared to the Miata, so I would chalk that difference up to upholstery material. Noting you're looking at leather, I only give these examples to support that color is not the only factor, in my experience. In comparison, my 328GTS with light blue leather is the warmest / hottest interior of any convertible I've owned. Seat shape? Engine and radiator proximity? Cabin space? Sitting in the sun, the light blue probably feels cooler to touch than the black leather of the Maserati, but once driving, any benefits of light versus dark disappear.

10. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I once had a convertible with black seats. Never again.

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Depending where you live, and your climate.

I have a black interior in my convertible and it's comfortable when the temp is between 70-80. If you are stuck in traffic and in the city and its above 75 it can get toasty, amd closer to 80 you are not comfortable.

If over 80, as long as you are on the highway you are fine.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I wouldn't get black.

I have tan in Vegas and it is bearable, and I would only consider tan, sabbia, crema, light grey or white for a convertible here. Black would get toasty, and perhaps just as annoying, in the sun starts pulling on the dash and cluster much faster than the lighter colors.

13. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I live in NH. No problem with black interior in my 360 Spider. It gets hot on sunny 90 degree days, but nothing crazy.

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Agree.

My 328 has tan interior, but it still gets very hot sitting in the sun.
    And I'd need to use driving gloves rather than touch the black steering wheel.
    ... And that was in Massachusetts.

In Tennessee, my black-on-black EVO turns into an oven during a 30 minute trip into the grocery store.
    And that's a hardtop with a shade for the sunroof and UV filtering windows.
    (No noticeable tint, but the first time I went from the EVO VIII to the EVO X, I discovered I didn't need sunglasses in the X.)

If you keep the car clean, you can use a light colored car cover to keep the heat out ...
    --- where it "never rains". ;)

About 15 years ago, I was looking at a job in Florida.
    The problem, there, is that the sun is too hot ... but it rains a bit almost every day.
    A bad situation for a car cover.

15. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I live in SoCal, and have had many convertibles. Don't do black under any circumstance. Even when you are not in the car, black just cooks the car. You will end up driving and parking the car with top up much more than you want to. Of course it is nice in cooler weather so winter will be top down season.

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm looking for a convert right now. Black interior is a disqualifier. Florida.

17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    If you are buying a convertible,avoid black seats and white tops.

18. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    F in hot. Don't jump in with shorts on.

19. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    If you drive real fast the breeze will cool off the seats.

20. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Great responses. Thank you all.

Thank you neighbor :D

21. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004