Why a Stick Shift Defines the Driver | FerrariChat

Why a Stick Shift Defines the Driver

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ExcelsiorZ, Jul 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Paddle shifters have taken much of the driver challenge and skill away from driving. Shifting was always the key challenge to driving fast and winning races. Prior to paddles drivers would shift thousands of times during a race and if you missed a shift you could lose a race. That's how important shifting was. Case in point from an article about the first car to win a race at the then new Laguna Seca Raceway, a Ferrari:

"I could get up close to von Neumann, but I couldn’t pass him because I didn’t have enough power to get by. I devised a scheme by which I would very gradually fall back to where he couldn’t see me in his mirror. I then turned on a couple of really hot laps and I got right on his tail when we reached Turn 9. When Johnny saw me there, he got flustered, missed a shift coming out of that turn and I passed him. The rest is history."

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/07/14/the-first-car-to-win-at-laguna-seca-returns-for-this-years-rolex-monterey-motorsports-reunion/?refer=news

And this is classic: Hamilton watching Senna drive Monaco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpfloxZklo

"Notice is right hand, he's yet to put two hands on the steering wheel. He's busy shifting. That was so much more hardcore back then." (0:43 into video)

"I can't imagine going into Tabac one handed." (1:30-- Hamilton)

Now cars are just fast. More power than can be used...more like an amusement park ride than a sport needing skill, training and experience. My $0.02.

2. Enzo91

Enzo91 Rookie

Aug 11, 2016
    You're right. There hasn't been one single fun, exciting, challenging to drive car ever made that didn't have a manual gear box and anyone who doesn't drive a manual is a sissy. /s

Grow up. Let people drive that they want and don't put others down so you can get a false sense of superiority.

At the end of the day if it puts a smile on your face, it doesn't matter what you drive. Can we just leave it at that?

My $0.02.

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Careful, he'll sue you.

4. Enzo91

Enzo91 Rookie

Aug 11, 2016
    Haha what?

5. KJB355

KJB355 Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Brom
    I miss the rotary phones. Especially when 10 digits needed to be dialed and high numeral digits. Click, click click ... clack, clack, clack... those were the days. Good 'ole Johnny chaser wishes he had paddles as the advantage to pass that clunky shifting von Neumann.

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Google. He's his own client in many interesting publicly available lawsuits. Ever hear the band TaTu?

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I just like to drive a stick v paddles. But it seems that I'm more and more in the minority.

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Each to his own.
    I started a thread entitled "Last Manual Transmission Ferrari" (or something similar) back when the last one was being made. Numerous people called me a dinosaur & accused me of longing for the days of a crank to start a car. I thought it was all pretty funny, & I still do.
    Personally, for a road car what lights me up is involvement with the vehicle, and to some extent the less the car does on its own the more I feel involved, so you know where I fit into this discourse.
    It is interesting that prices of late model manual trans Ferraris have gone stratospheric, so apparently some others feel the same way. Having said all of this jibberish, I readily acknowledge that paddle shift sports cars lap a track faster than manuals.

9. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Huh....interesting!

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    BTW, Enzo91, for your 12th post that was quite a zinger!

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you seriously comparing rotary phones to manual transmission?

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    If you are going to get paddle shifting, why not just get an automatic?

My Toyota highlander has an automatic, which I can manually shift up and down... So does my BMW... So did my boxster...

But I just leave it in automatic... whats the point?

Paddle shifters are faster, better, safer...

And a digital picture is better than a hand painted one...

And a new mass produced rifle is better than a hand made one...

And a Toyota is way better than any 308 ever was...

And plastic bottles are better than the glass coke bottle we had as a kid...

And a 10$ digital watch is more accurate than a rolex...

And a digital stairmaster in a gym is way better than running outside...

And PDF is ay better than holding a written magazine...

Or, are they?

If the point is just to get the job done as efficiently and technically correct as possible, we would never bother with hot sweaty sex... that's old school...we would just all have our loved ones artificially inseminated...

Sometimes the means justifies the act ;)

sigar likes this.
  13. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I'm with you. However, after driving a 458, I get it. Paddles really are better suited to cars of that capability.

Mark

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Yes. But a California would be great with a stick.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So would a 458, IMO

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Not having a stick is the one thing that would keep me from ever buying one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would love to see Ferrari offer MT again on their luxury sports cars. But I'm sure most of their typical "New" buyers probably would not be able to drive them. That is the paradox we face, with most of the true enthusiast stuck in the "used" purchase group.

Porsche consistently offers both on all sports cars and even Jaguar has expanded its MT options on their very popular F Type model range. Porsche also yielded to angry enthusiasts and once again is offering MT on their 911 GT3 model, at the risk of screwing over the 911R collectors; most of whom probably purchased for investment purposes.

Regardless, I hope some day Ferrari does offer a Dino type car with Manual that is priced at the level where many enthusiast can get them.

18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    This is a new topic/debate...I'll be watching closely for the TRUTH to come out. Where is my popcorn...

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    tastes great !
    no
    less filling !

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree.

Like Texas Forever, that is one thing that is holding me back...

21. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Actually, why not just install a CVT in all of them and eliminate shifting altogether?

Easier, faster, better gas mileage, what's not to like? :D

BTW, owned both stick and paddles, like both. What I don't like is when they mate "fakey-do paddle shifters" to a standard automatic transmission slush box.

D

22. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Now that is a car that could use a manual.

Mark

23. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Rotary phones are way more fun than driving a stick.

Racing wise the need for heel toe driving is eliminated by paddles, and auto rev matching makes it completely unnecessary-but if you are doing this in a newer gated 430 for instance that's a lot of car ($$) you are pushing to the edge so you should probably think about getting a paddle car or a non Ferrari stick dedicated track car unless money really is no issue. Also, if you're buying a newer Fcar part of what you are paying for is R&D, time, energy, racing experience, etc the manufacturer put into it hence that super fast f1 gear box.

That said I really would like to drive the crap out of a gated 430 on a track, but the reality is I'd probably be much more comfortable driving the paddle car especially if I owned them!

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There's got to be a way to convert these F1 cars to manual even if no manual version existed. Yeah the car would lose a lot of value, but if you don't plan on selling who cares.

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    For people who really can't drive .... I agree with you.