Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    Hello,
    anyone have any good information about it? I googled it and really couldn't find anything. Did u know he had a 456 wagon? Any one have pics of his garages and cars? Please any info is good.

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    You mean want to do a search, there has been many threads on this. Dick Marconi owns the Station Wagon as well as the Convertible 456 built for the Sultan.

3. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Can't remember the name but I thought someone wrote a book on how the Sultan was responsible for saving Rolls and Bently because of the money he paid for one off vehicles. Anyone know the book I' talking about?

4. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    who knows the authenticity of this, but:

"His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam has been listed as the world's richest man for longer than most people can remember. As absolute sovereign of the little Sultanate that neighbours Malaysia, the Sultan pockets around half the profits from the state's oil and gas reserves for himself and his family. It's a personal bounty some analysts say amounts to three quarters of a billion pounds every year.

The garages are like huge warehouses

It's not surprising, therefore, that the Bruneian royals are profligate spenders. But still, no one could be prepared for the sights that await visitors to the multi-billion-pound collection stashed away in the four giant garages and workshop at House Number Five. "The garages are like huge warehouses," says one source, "wall to wall with exotic cars. My jaw hit the ground when I saw them. It can take an hour and a half just to get a certain car out if it's been parked right at the back."

5000 vehicles, all logged onto a central computer system

Around 3000 vehicles reside in the complex, out of a royal collection of 5000 vehicles, all logged onto a central computer system based in the workshop administration centre on the site. If not driven by immediate members of the family, then they are used by the ministers of state, government officials and members of the royal household. But the latest word is that much of the collection is now in mothballs as the Sultan assesses the impact of recent changes in the economic climate.

Rolls-Royce supplied 40 or 50 cars a year to Brunei

"The usual order for anything other than the most unique cars would be for at least six examples, all supplied in different colours," another source claims. Two UK companies have benefited handsomely from the Sultan's manificence: Aston Martin and Rolls-Royce. Aston is believed to have supplied between 200 and 300 cars over a 15-year period, ranging from virtually standard models to customised versions of current cars, such as the Vantage shooting brake and saloon.

Aston has also supplied rolling Vantage chassis to Pininfarina, which has designed and built cars like the AM3 and AM4. Sources estimate the final cost of those machines at 600,000 Pounds, and just two or three of each have been built. Aston also supplied and serviced all the Jaguars on the Brunei fleet after the Coventry-based company refused to send technicians over, bizarrely suggesting the Sultan might like to rely on the local dealer network instead... Rolls-Royce supplied 40 or 50 cars a year to Brunei, mainly for use as government "runabouts". The cars cost up to 450,000 Pounds and have all in recent years featured a special "Sultan spec'" engine. Reliable sources speak of a twin turbocharger set-up and a series of internal mods that deliver a peak torque figure of 712lb ft at 2400rpm and 542bhp at 4500rpm.

Six Ferrari FX models for the Sultan

The Bruneian royals have also spent millions with Italian coachbuilder Pininfarina which, as well as rebodying Aston Martins, has also produced many unique Ferraris. Convertible, coupe and saloon versions of the standard 456 Ferrari (all codenamed Venice) have been produced in limited numbers, mainly for Brunei but also for wealthy customers elsewhere in the world. Pininfarina has also produced at least six Ferrari FX models for the Sultan. Based on 512M running gear, the cars feature manual transmission shifted by a button on the steering wheel, a system developed by Prodrive for its rally cars. It predates Ferrari's own paddle-shift system on the F355 by a couple of years.

The family also owns two fully operational Ferrari Mythos road cars - the Mythos was supposed to be a one-off show concept - but Pininfarina's latest proposal, the Bolide, was turned down.

Under the circumstances, perhaps the Sultan will choose to let the cars rot until Brunei's prospects brighten. And that will be a great time to get into the restoration business..."

they show some pretty crappy pictures of a Lamborghini Diablo Jota, Estate version of the 456GT, Convertible Ferrari 456GT, Ferrari FX, Ferrari Mythos, Dauer Porsche 962 LM, Cizeta Moroder V16T, McLaren F1 LM, Bentley Dominator, Bentley Java 1994, Aston Martin AM3, 300SL replica and a Jaguar XJR-15

bertha01 likes this.
  5. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Insane....

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    SHHHHHHHHHH!

He has a large number of cars here in Los Angeles at a secret location! ;)

7. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I be it is in the Beverly Hills Hotel area since they own the place (and many plots of land next to it)

8. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    This information is from a very reliable source (Ferrari Mechanic, worked for the Sultan of Brunei):

6 288 GTO
    2 288 GTO EVOLUZIONE
    12 F40
    1 F40 LM
    9 F50
    1 F50 BOLIDE
    6 F90
    6 FX
    7 456 VENICE CABRIOLET
    7 456 VENICE SHOOTING BREAK
    7 456 VENICE 4 DOOR
    3 MYTHOS
    6 TESTAROSSA SPIDER
    12 355
    12 456
    12 550 MARANELLO 6(AUTOMATIC)
    6 550 MARANELLO CONVERTIBLE
    1 456 INFRARED SYSTEM
    1 275GTS

sareika likes this.
  9. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    reminded me of that report on the sultan's woman collection.

bamaman likes this.
  10. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Wow!
    And ALL of them are RHD.

11. f430novitec

f430novitec Karting

Jul 30, 2005
    Calgary, AB.
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was born and raise in Brunei and left the country in 1982 and never knew he had so many FCars. All i know that they had a 512BB(back in the early 80's).

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
  13. DavkeG

DavkeG Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    At the time the Rolls Royce Phantom was released, I read somewhere the sultan ordered 12 at the same time.

14. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Not all of them but maybe around half, for instance, all the 288 GTO's were RHD.
    He had them in 6 different colors.

sareika likes this.
  15. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    All of the (standard, non-LM) F40s are RHD, also all Venice are. Look at the FX, it is also RHD.
    I heard he would not want to order any LHD cars. He ordered many custom cars from Ferrari, and for the amount of $$$ he throw I think it is easy to make 'em all RHDs.

16. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Is the station wagon a recent acquisition? Wasn't there 6 months ago, and he's had the spyder for a few years as well.

17. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc

mmm... Burbank Airport has my bet.

18. FERRARIHOME

FERRARIHOME Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    OAHU HAWAII
    Full Name:
    FERRARIHOME
    HE HAVE ANY SINGLE KIDS? I COULD GET THE MOTH BALLS OUT FOR HIM BUT 5000 CARS MAY TAKE AWILE.

19. Ren65amg

Ren65amg Karting

Nov 25, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Reny
    It predates Ferrari's own paddle-shift system on the F355 by a couple of years.

thats when you know your pimping!!!! by the way how many enzo's does he own??? and are they RHD

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Man, I really dig those 456 wagons. Simply the perfect car for me.

Zeltweg and zalan998 like this.
  21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the sultan used to post here - he was rebuilding a water pump or something.

22. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    what the heck are those

23. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark

No wonder L.A. is locked in a traffic jam. His ‘secret location’ is the 405.

24. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I don't think he spent that much on automobiles anymore since the Asian crisis in 1998 and his perrsonal spending published.