BARN FIND - 1959 FERRARI 250 LWB CA SPYDER - CONVERTIBLE TOP & FRAME | FerrariChat

BARN FIND - 1959 FERRARI 250 LWB CA SPYDER - CONVERTIBLE TOP & FRAME

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Boo113, Jan 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boo113

Boo113 Rookie

Nov 12, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1 Boo113, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently came upon some 1960's Ferrari Sales Brochures from a gentleman who I learned had purchased a portion of the former estate of Ms. Augusta Gage Wiloughby Ellis Little (a wealthy woman and car collector of which one of her cars was a 1959 Ferrari LWB CA Spyder #1489GT - built on September 19, 1959 and initially sold to Price Vittionio Emanuele di Savola, Geneve, CH.) During this transaction I was offered an opportunity to purchase not only the brochures but the convertible top frame & bows that came with Ms. Little's car. After doing research in the Ferrari community; reviewing historical documents; previewing photographs; and receiving a formal statement from the seller I have confirmed this piece is in fact an original convertible top frame made for a Ferrari 250 LWB CA Spyder and in all likelihood is the original 250 GT LWB convertible top frame that came with Ferrari #1489GT. Still needing to be confirmed is whether the fabric top is original or a 2nd generation material with a period correct plastic rear window. Just a guess but based on the numbers displayed on the plastic rear window I suspect this may be the original plastic window reattached to a 2nd generation fabric cover?? Again, just a guess.
    Further, it appears Ms. Little purchased #1489GT from Chinetti Motors in the mid-1960's and kept it thru the 1980's. Interesting "factoid", it seems at some point Ms. Little had the original engine removed and replaced with a Chevrolet V8 motor only later to have the original engine relocated and installed by a subsequent owner during a restoration process. During her custodianship she stored all of her cars and other collectible in what was considered to be a barn but as you can see from the photographs it was not your typical barn, moreover, an expansive building as you would expect to see on a 400 acre estate from the late 1800's thru early 1900's.
    I'm told the pieces referenced above were only incidental in comparison to the amount of other items (automotive and otherwise) that were left behind when the property changed hands most of which now have been sold off. In fact the Ferrari brochures along with other automobilia related items were found in cabinets, desk drawers and scattered about the premises. The actual top frame itself was found wrapped in a cardboard box stacked in a corner of the building left unnoticed for years.
    I was hoping to transfer ownership of this unique piece of automotive history to the current owner of #1489GT; someone who might be in need of this item; or a Ferrari memorabilia enthusiast.
    I look forward to visiting further with anyone who may have an interest.
    You can reach me PM @ Ferrari Chat; email "[email protected]"; or telephone "559-225-2180".
    Thank you for reviewing my ad.
    Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Boo113

Boo113 Rookie

Nov 12, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Bob
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for your effort on this...

I would think our member here, Mr. Tom Shaughnessy would be an instant buyer.
    Call 949 378-8405, when California wakes up today (he is an early riser, himself)

Marcel Massini in Italy, also a member here, would have the immediate answer to the car's current owner

4. Boo113

Boo113 Rookie

Nov 12, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thx for your comments. I'll follow up with both men.
    Bob

5. Boo113

Boo113 Rookie

Nov 12, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Big Tex;
    Just spoke with Tom and sent him the information.
    Thx again for your contribution.
    Bob

6. Boo113

Boo113 Rookie

Nov 12, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Relisted:

7. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    This is a tough item with a limited audience -- have you tried eBay? Or maybe it would sell as an auction item at one of the big auctions selling same vintage cars...