Effective 3/5/2017: Ad posting limits in Parts & Collectibles | FerrariChat

Effective 3/5/2017: Ad posting limits in Parts & Collectibles

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by ylshih, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #1 ylshih, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Previously advertisers in Ferrari Parts & Collectibles and Other Parts & Collectibles have had no ad limits for classified subscribers of all levels.

Going forward there will be a limit of 1 new Parts & Collectible thread per day per subscribed user. Users who have a few parts or collectible items will have to space them out if they want separate threads. Users who have many parts or don't want to space them out are advised to create a "storefront" thread. A storefront thread can have multiple items, each described by a post in the thread or posts which contain lists of items for sale. All questions, answers and business are conducted on the single storefront thread. Watch and other sponsors have previously conducted storefront threads on Ferrarichat with great success.

See http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/fine-watches-jewelry-clothes/182548-vtc-affordable-watch-thread.html for an example.

Also, it had been assumed that everyone understood that "bumping" was against Ferrarichat rules relating to "spamming".

Bumping is the use of non-meaningful posts such as: "bump", "still available", "great deal", "unique item", "anyone?", etc. Its only purpose is to raise an inactive ad to the main page of the subforum to increase visibility. This practice benefits the advertiser but to the detriment of other advertisers and disinterested users.

Many advertisers have been in violation of this rule, usually because "I saw someone else doing it, so I thought it was OK". Going forward, it is being made clear that bumping is against the forum rules. Moderator decisions on what constitutes bumping are final.

If a thread is inactive, the advertiser is allowed to bring an ad thread up to the main page again by posting substantive new information or a meaningful change to a sale parameter, such as price or terms. For example by posting "Price reduced from $200 to $175", "Shipping and handling now at my expense", etc.

In summary:

* Subscribed users are limited to 1 new ad thread per day in the Parts & Collectibles sections

* Higher volume Parts & Collectibles advertisers should move to a "storefront" thread format

* Subscribed users may not gratuitously "bump" their threads in any Classified Ad section.

*** Updated rules effective 5/1/2017 ***

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferraris/550177-classified-rules-effective-05-01-2017-a.html

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Very timely

3. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    +1 👍

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I think this will benefit all sellers

5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    this is a welcome adjustment to posting items for sale.

but honestly was not aware "bumping" or non substantive post to get it back to top was prohibited.

just my 2 cents, perhaps a non substantive post such as "still available" can be permitted once per week?

if I have an item for sale that has got lost on page 2,3,4 I wouldn't want to give in to a price drop just to push my item back to the top etc.

that's just my thought.

6. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Nice -- doesn't this make it so much harder to police and enforce the rules? Is there an automated way of doing it?

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    "We" will all keep an eye on it. Anyone can report any post with the "report post" (!) red triangle at the top left.

While most of us have posted more than one item per day in the past, really, there are only a handful of folks that made this rule necessary by posting 20+ items a day and then bumping them all a day or so later.

So it should be easy once they get the message.

I was not aware of the "no bump" rule either. So once you have posted an item, it is "gone" unless you adjust the price or add a freebie?
    Alden

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    A substantive post doesn't have to be a price drop. New information, such as a better picture, a closeup, a data sheet or a review would also count. The point is to add something of substance to justify raising its visibility before your customers and against the other competition for eyeballs.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yin - I think the new rules are excellent and long overdue. However, I do agree about allowing bumps as long as they are only at a respectable frequency. The idea of adding new information is fair but I can't wait to see how creative the users will be ;) I think moderating that aspect is going to add more complications to an already complex moderation.

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    perhaps allow a "bump" once every 7 days? Or something like that?

I doubt many (anyone) thought that bumping was akin to spamming, let alone prohibited. Its often appreciated by us viewers of the ads. The way the forum lays out things for sale (with one giant forum for all of this) is not ideal and leads to the need for bumping obviously...

obertRo likes this.
  11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wrong solution...Separate parts into one and collectibles, etc into another.
    I mean, we have a P&R and a Watches section on here...and those are wastes of time. ;)
    What's one more forum subject?

12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Absolutely . . .

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #13 ylshih, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    There's a synergy to this set of rules that may not be apparent.

Currently 8-12 higher volume users account for 70-80% of first 5 pages. If you examine their sale threads, you will see that a majority of posts in each thread are bumps. This is a waste of cycles for the sellers, the audience and the mods. People are having to filter through 100-200 bumped threads that 99% don't want to see. Further, the mods are tired of spending cycles constantly re-tagging threads by these same sellers when some of their items finally sell. It's a lot of useless cycles.

With a storefront thread, the most important posts are the first post and the most recent post. A seller can introduce themselves and the type of items they have for sale and their general terms and conditions in the first post. They can then post new items for sale as they expose their stock. As items sell they can post updated lists of what is still for sale so that those that visit the thread get a current snapshot of the stock. The cycles the seller spent bumping item threads uselessly, can now be spent posting a refreshed list of their current stock and updated prices. This will keep the storefront threads on the main page without any artificial bumping. Further, the mods won't have to deal with the tedious number of retagging requests. This puts the labor for marketing and maintenance for the storefront where it belongs, on the seller that's getting all this exposure for the ridiculously low cost of $15 a year. :cool:

Collapsing 70-80% of the threads into a handful of storefront threads will free up main page space for the less frequent sellers. Since they get a fairer share of main page space, they will have less need to bump. Further, an infrequent seller has much less trouble updating their 1 or 2 threads with a substantive post if they feel the need to raise the thread's profile. In the meantime, the storefront threads will be frequented by those interested in that store's theme or can be skipped over easily by the users not interested in that store's theme. With more page space freed up, there is much less need to split the forum. Overall, cycles and page space are used more efficiently.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#14 dm_n_stuff, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Bumping for the sake of bumping is annoying and obnoxious.

Have NEW info? Then post it, but if after a week of attention no one's buying, then falling off page one is the price you pay for a slow moving or overpriced item. And if it fell off sooner, all the guys listing 30 items each did that, and that problem appears to be solved.

Want it back on page 1? Drop the price, add a better photo, or worst case? RELIST the item.

Getting so there's no way to read the classifieds, and the solution Yin has posted remedies most of that.

D

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yin - as always I greatly appreciate your service and explanation - thank you.

The store front for folks selling multiple items sounds like a great solution but for the folks that sell once and a while, not sure how this helps.

The reason people bump is that not everyone of Fchat comes here multiple times per day, every day. So, bringing an item to the first page allows others to see it when they may not have prior.

I'll give you a great example: - Our wheel tools. One would think everyone knows about them now - that's not true. Every time I bump one of our sponsor threads, in various sections, we get another round of orders so it's proof that folks don't all visit here every day.

In those threads, you will take note, however, that I add new content ;)

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I imagine this will keep the mods a bit busy at first but I too think it's pretty much overdue. It's been several people over the last few years who have dominated the parts ads front page. I have a bunch of parts left from my 308 but haven't had time lately to sit down and take some decent pics of all of it so I can make a listing. One of these days I will but I planned on putting up one list and one ad and going from there.

I don't mind the bumping so much as long as it's not daily. But I like the "substantive post" rule too now that I think about it. Makes sense along with the restriction of one a day.

Good job Rob and Mods. I like the change!!

17. ty423

ty423 Karting

Jun 9, 2015
    Socal OC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Bumps once a week doesn't sound like it would harm anyone. Especially in a slower forum like this. I'm in another forum with 20x more active members and my ad in classifieds are on fourth or fifth page within a day. They dont allow separate ads just like this new rule we are adding however allow bumps every 24hrs.

18. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank you. I can get my vision back now from seeing same of one all over the page.

19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    It's not the " bump " that's in question , it's the 30+ ad's bumped at the same time, creating page after page of the same seller's items , pushing the 1 item seller from the
    1st, 2nd, or sometimes 3rd page...

S

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    +1

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    So is bumping a measly little WTB ad also prohibited?

22. wtfmagazine

wtfmagazine Rookie

Mar 8, 2017
    I joined the forum because I once had a 360 Ferrari which I have since sold. I have several parts left over to sell off which could benefit a current owner but I can not start a new thread. How do I go about getting approved to post?

23. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Please check the sales corner ... I thought there is only one per day allowed and not more! Same laws for everybody!

24. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams

+1

But hè is dropping his Prices to bump... XD

25. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    You have to subscribe to post a classified. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/payments.php