Wanted - 360 engine - gently used.....lol | FerrariChat

Wanted - 360 engine - gently used.....lol

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by ATLSIGNGUY, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    Hi folks,

I'm looking to swap my engine on my 2000 360. Hoping to find a good used engine. Hoping that someone has a wrecked car that the engine is still good in. Or maybe you have a spare sitting in the corner collecting dust.... lol.

Please send me details etc...

Thanks!

PJ Houser

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Eurospares are showing at least 4 used ones from £10 000, plus a challenger engine

3. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
  4. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    So it turns out the 360 I just bought has a bad crankshaft. Missed it on the PPI.... had belt noise and decided to go ahead and change timing belts although only done 3K miles ago and 1.5 yrs. Ferrari tech found loose main camshaft... ie. moves up and down when trying to remove pully to access timing belts. Kinda figure the person i bought from knew there was a problem and sold to me without disclosing. I'm just a hard working guy who barely was able to buy a 360. Now gotta deal with this.... thanks for all the help and PMs. I love the car, but feel very burned by seller... I have no recourse of course.

5. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune... did the mechanic think the current engine wasn't worth rebuilding?

6. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    He thinks the crankshaft is causing it to go off-centered and digging into the side of the engine block we are finding metal flakes in the oil and think it could be very bad inside with all the teeth gears and such.

The engine had previously been rebuilt back in 2011 with 33,000 miles on it now it has just under 60,000. So probably not worth rebuilding at this point less expensive to replace it.

7. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    PM also sent in case you don't get fixed up

8. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I would think this would be an issue of your crankshaft main bearings getting ground up, so that the crank has play, rather than the shaft itself. Doesn't mean the crank itself ISN'T toast, but usually it would grind up the bearings that hold it in place, like maybe if your oil was contaminated with some gritty substance. Id consider splitting the motor and having a look first, because a re-seal and new main bearings is cheaper than a new motor.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    #9 RedNeck, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Ouch. I'm so sorry to hear that. Wonder why it was rebuilt to begin with?

Edit: Where was your PPI done, seems checking the oil would be a given?

10. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    I looked at year down and rebuild option..... not sure if crankshaft is digging into the block wall. It could be causing a weak point that wpuld make a rebuild not worth it. If the inner gears are damaged it would be cheper to replace the engine, than to do all the tear down and rebuild. Not quite sure but Ive replaced a 454 3x in a work truck (it was a bad computer we found out later). Just trying to be prepared if it does go BOOM.

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If you're in ATL, you should reach out to user Ferraripilot for input.

12. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Check with ferrparts in sacramento.

13. 4RELIFE

4RELIFE Rookie

Mar 2, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good afternoon,

Do you need:

complete or ?

just short block ?

No heads ?

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #14 F456M, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good morning! I can get you a perfectly running (ran last time in a car in May 2017) 360 Spider engine with 2.100 miles from new at a reasonable price if you like. The car had an accident and is sold in parts. I have sold engines here before with great buyer satisfaction (have referances!). The engine is complete as in the picture). Located in Europe. Will send to USA, no problem. Payment by wore or Paypal. PM for more info!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

schumacherf2006 likes this.
  15. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    nice lookin' motor!

16. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Those plenums look interesting. Non of the 360 engines I had looked like that. The plenums were much squarer without the angle on the end. I dismantled a euro too and they weren't like that. Was that a letter 360 thing. I've dismantled 5 but they were all 99-01s.

17. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Those plenums are Spider versions...and CS.

18. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ahh, thank you. All the 360 I've had here have been coupes. I never even noticed it looking at pictures though.
    I wish I could help the OP with a great deal on an engine though. I've been watching for months and they have dried up at the salvage auctions. There has hardly even been anything to bid on.

19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Interesting! So how do the other standard 360 plenums look like?

20. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #20 97 Spider, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017