2000 456 MGT | FerrariChat

2000 456 MGT

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by open roads, Apr 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Silver over Sabbia piped in Black. 34K miles. Purchased used, in a very satisfactory transaction from Steve Harris.

Very small accident history. A very large tired Chevy truck tried to roll over her hood (Him 4MPH, me stopped.)(Kid was looking the other way, I quickly hit the center of the steering wheel when I saw he was not looking. There is an airbag there.). She tore the tie rod off the truck. I drove home. But the hood was damaged, and the replacement was $15K. This one has indentations for shields(puttied over). The original did not.

The original owner was a doctor in Salt Lake City and was meticulous. He used tape that had a felt like substance on one side, and used it in the gear selector gate to silence the clicking sound there. And he had the same protective tape around the ignition key area.

I am the second owner of eight years, and have loved this car. I am sentimental about this one. It has been so good to me. I also have a 599 and a 550SS. I love this one more. Really, much more. But I guess it is time to let her go.

Pictures will be posted soon.

This car is unmistakably a very elegant gentleman's express. Which is how I used it. Yesterday I drove to Miami and back. On a previous one day foray I went from DC to Pittsburgh and back. Perfect for this type of work though 500 miles in the same direction is preferred, and I did that too, Florida to Maryland. I really wanted to drive it to California and back, and was planning on it. Making it a working trip. But I would have flown home and back to the car at least twice. And the third week of driving. Heading back home, and being in west Texas (in the third week remember) was just not appealing.

I took it to the track on two days where she was fantastic. But much too nice IMO to take there any more. I bought a 360 because the 456 was way too nice and I outgrew my 944TS. I put perfect new tires on her for grand touring.

I had a leak down done at Competizione a year ago. There were two cylinders down slightly. Test results will be shared with any serious interested party of course. The car does not use any extra oil though and shows no sign of smoke. There are lightly sticky switches, and the dash leather is creeping.

The car had it's second major three years ago. The drivers window recently had new parts and an adjustment. The parking brake was also adjusted.

This car has always been cared for but could use some attention to the interior now. The switches would be a welcome improvement, but are not too bad yet. The leather dash would be great if redone. Right now it is 14 years old. I would do a preventative rebuild of the evaporator when the dash is out. Also, the black trim on the outside of the windows is needing some refreshing. The thin film there can have small spots peel away after this many years.

When I first purchased this car, I had to decide between this and the Bentley Conti GT. The Bentley has substance, but this car has panache. I see Bentleys every day now. And they are nice cars of course. But I rarely see a 456MGT. Almost never. And this one has style. No shields. Not that they are not stylish. Just not this type of style. This is a bespoke Ferrari. And not for everyone.

Asking $45K.

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Pictures?

3. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Of course. I will post pictures tomorrow.

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Wow, this might be the deal of the week!

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #5 355dreamer, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great add Stan. I know how much you've enjoyed this car.

For anyone looking, Stan is disclosing everything and more. His honesty shouldn't scare anyone away. I've seen her several times, and its a great example. It's a great car, and a steal @ 45k. I suspect it won't last too long.

Edit***

Just found this picture of the 456 in Stan's old garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No kidding. Wow.

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thanks Luke. I hadn't thought about that garage for some time. But after getting back in from Miami last night, I just had to look over my shoulder one more time. And that is what I remembered.

There is a little more to share. More details will be conveyed that others might not. I will be thorough.

And what I really want is a chance to have her back and just do a cost no object, luvin' my baby type thing. Something that is not at all about money. All about knowing what I love.

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    PM sent

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    That garage wins good god

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Huge value there........GLWS!!!

11. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thanks RMani. There was a two car garage door to the left of the photographer. So six cars that were not parked in. And the local roads were very good. So life was good. :)

And thanks Tex.

12. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I applaud you for posting all the details about the damage & subsequent repairs, to include pics, even... anyone who buys this car would know EXACTLY what they're getting, and nobody can accuse you of a shady deal.

Well done.

13. gaspump

gaspump Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2013
    SE indiana
    Full Name:
    bill
    Nice looking car, but those wheels look small,, are they original ? Kind of like a Toyota. Good luck with the sale , looks well priced.

14. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    You have nothing good to say about any car listed for sale here, that I've noticed... should we really pay any attention to your statements, based on your posting history in this particular section?

15. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Those are the original wheels.

16. Rnye

Rnye Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Damage seems inconsequential at this price - that car is a stunner! I love it.

17. gaspump

gaspump Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2013
    SE indiana
    Full Name:
    bill
    I said " nice looking car" and "good luck with the sale" . So to you those are negative remarks? You should go back and look up what those words mean. A simple question from someone about 1 item on this car, the wheels. I wanted to know if they were or were not original. You can go pound sand, because I'll always be interested in cars and their options.

18. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    The stock wheels are 17s. One common scenario is to upgrade to 18 inch wheels from a 550 Maranello, which can be had quite cheaply (1200 new from vendor on this site).

19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Please not another one.

I'm sure op took your comment about his wheels as a compliment, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Sorry, I saw negative too, as in most of your posts.

Maybe you should learn about Ferraris withOUT offering your opinions.

Car is gorgeous, even with the factory original wheels. I wish I was in the market.

21. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I'm pretty certain that I know what most words mean - if we're talking about the English Language, anyway... but more importantly in this particular instance, I understand the meaning of context, and when one references a comparison to a Toyota in a thread about a Ferrari, I think it's more than fair to say there is a negative connotation to a remark of that nature... n'est–ce pas? Do you understand the meaning of THOSE words?

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Yes. Those wheels are stock.

I have been away a lot. And extremely busy all the time with my business. I have never been this busy in my life.

There is interest in the car of course. I've honestly not had the time to respond to one inquiry. Plus, there is another gentleman who responded first, and we had a great talk. He has a sincere interest and I am thinking that he will be the car's next owner. I will have dibs I believe.

I will keep everyone informed as much as is proper. This I will want to discuss further with the other party.

Thank you everyone.

23. gaspump

gaspump Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2013
    SE indiana
    Full Name:
    bill
    Sorry for any confusion. I did not intend to mean that THIS ferrari looked like a toyota. I meant that the "smallness" look of the wheels made the car look big, like you would see on so many older cars, compared to newer cars with bigger wheels. What was stock back then was fine, I'm just a fan of aftermarket wheels to enhance the look of any car. Probably in person, they would look good. Now, moving on.

24. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    +1. I recently went to 19" O.Z.s. Still have the 17s that will go with the car if I ever sell. (The tires on them are only a couple of years old, but they may be dangerous by the time I let the car go).