1978 Yellow 308 GTS in California | FerrariChat

1978 Yellow 308 GTS in California

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Mcorrallo, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    #1 Mcorrallo, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just bought this car two months ago and it's a nice one. It's currently at Roselli's in San Jose for belt service and whatever else it needs. If I decide to keep it, they will also replace the cats and accomplish all work necessary to get through California smog. So why consider selling it? I'm nervous about the Ferrari maintenance costs. I have not gotten any numbers from Roselli's yet but I have a feeling I'm not cut out for Ferrari ownership. You guys spend $5-10K on routine maintenance like you're dropping your car off at Jiffy Lube. That's not me. I love and care for my cars but I have to always be cognizant of the bottom line. If I lose money on my cars, my wife won't let me play with cars any more. I look at my car collection as my 401k.

Here is the description from the seller I bought the car from:

"Gorgeous, and very well kept 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS! #26071 (Oct 1978)
    Carbureted (4 Weber 2 barrels) and hand made in Italy while Enzo was still in charge! This car LOVES to be driven... but has averaged LESS than 1,000 miles a year, for her entire 36 year life! Only 33,600 miles on her.

She has won 1st place in two car shows, as well as an "honorable mention" in a third. I have shown her in multiple car shows in Florida (including the prestigious "Cars on 5th"), Virginia, North Carolina, & Missouri.

This is a beautiful, uncommon Giallo (Fly Yellow) example of the first years of the GTS. 3.0 liter V8 - 240 h.p. (before they went to fuel injection in 1980 & lost power). There were 3,219 TOTAL GTS models built for ALL years. "approx" 65% of them are Red. Word on the streeet is that only 4.5% were Yellow. This means that "approx" 145 of them were made. Who knows how many of those are still around. (*There is NO proof of these numbers...only spotter databases & approximations) I've only seen a few of these in my life, and I happen to think it's the best color to show off the unforgettable lines of the 308!

Originally a California car. As far as I can tell, I am the 3rd owner. I Purchased from a well known dealer in exotic cars in 2006 . A full PPI was performed, as well as replacing the Shocks, and EVERY inch of Fuel hose/tubes. Belts were replaced at 28,000 so they will be Due. She is maintained regularly by a local Ferrari mechanic. All 4 carbs were pulled & rebuilt by him 2 years ago. New Fuel pump. ALL new ignition. I do my own oil changes regularly.

For those unfamiliar, the 308 presents some unique "quirks":
    -Typically, 2nd gear is "hard" until warmed up. This is NOT the case with this car. 2nd shifts smooth as butter, even when cold.
    -The power windows are very slow on 308's. This is also true of mine. There have been people that have come up with "fixes" for this, but I have left mine original. Google it...
    -the Air conditioning, even when these cars were new, was barely capable of cooling the interior down. They just were not designed for this "luxury". Mine works great, but you are going to want to recharge the freon!
    - Typically the engines have minor oil leaks. Mine has minimal leakage IF ANY. She is parked in my garage 90% of the time, and there is NO mark where she sits.
    - Fuse boxes are notorious for being bad in these cars. Mine is not. See photos.

Power door locks & security system
    CUSTOM matching yellow trim Ferrari floor mats
    Battery shutoff switch installed if you store her
    Power windows
    Power mirrors
    Alpine Stereo & 6 CD changer in trunk
    ORIGINAL jack & case
    ORIGINAL tool set & case
    Ferrari Jacket book & all manuals
    ORIGINAL spare tire
    Original rims
    Battery tender
    Car cover
    Tires have 95% of their tread left.
    Black leather seats
    Black carpet
    Black & white Targa Top (EXCELLENT condition, unlike most!)
    Targa Top cover in excellent condition
    Original keys, including the gas cover, AND the locking glove boxes on door.
    Trunk leather & carpet is excellent. Zipper works perfect.
    ALL lights & accessories work

Paint looks good, and has some minimal scratch & swirl. Some VERY minor signs of wear in only a couple places. NO dings. NO dents.
    There are a couple very small holes in the center console leather, where it looks like original owner may have had a cell phone mounted (my guess). Driver seat shows the usual signs of wear. No tears, rips, scuffs.
    Clock keeps PERFECT time, but the needle to adjust it no longer works. This is a fairly common occurrence, and there is a guy online that does a TOTAL refurbishing of these, VERY inexpensively. I spoke with him, but never got around to sending it in. Google him."

I will walk away from this baby for $43K and you will step into my shoes as far as Roselli's goes. In other words, you will pay the repair bill in addition to what you pay for the car. If you are not in California, then you will have them stop short of making it smog compliant unless you feel that will be a good marketing tool in the future.

I love this car and enjoy driving it. And it very well could appreciate annually WAY more than the cost to keep it running well. I had a personal conversation with Wayne Carini in Scottsdale and he thinks carb 308's will be worth $100K cars in two years. But I have read in this forum over and over that Ferraris should not be bought with return on investment in mind and that's what driving this decision.

I'm torn so the price is firm. But if someone wants to relieve my jitters, I'll sell it to you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    I certainly hope you get your asking for the car, but you might have to take the car to auction for that to be a possibility. Forum people tend slam anything that isn't listed at 10k less than normal market asking prices.

3. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    I have faith that the accomplished and sophisticated Ferrari owners who frequent this forum will be very kind in their reaction to my posting.

4. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I partly agree with buzzpics, it seems you are about $13k to $18k (with the service) and CA reg over market value. If it was a '78 GTB you would at least be in right the range.

You should get it smogged, CA reg and enjoy it for at a few year. It shouldn't need any more major work done for 3-5 years.

I'll try to be kind but I have a feeling you might have to wait the 2 years Wayne mentioned to even get your current price plus expenses out of the car. You did take it to the right place for the work. I feel Robert is reasonable with his prices, not cheap or quick but fair. I had the same thing done to my '85 Euro 308 GTS QV a few months ago. It was already CA registered but needed new cats to pass smog. You probably saw it at his shop when you were there. Solid all original red/tan euro QV.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ok...take a deep breath BREATHE.....

I felt much the same when my first Ferrari caught fire on the way home..

I put it out..

My wife divorced me soon, after....I kept the car.
    I bought two more......:D :D :D

The good news is that ONCE you get it calibrated and happy, it stays that way for a LONG time!!!!

I think you are OKAY on your buy, that's a nice one, IMO.

See if you can find any mention of exhaust valve replacement.
    that's your only real exposure, at this point.

Take it to a few shows.
    See how it settles into your life.

Have some sex in it...

You can always sell after that...

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The 308 market may well move $20K this spring....

European buyers have bought up the inventory, and it's thin there....USA cars are already leaving for Scandinavian countries, oddly enough in the last three years...carbed cars are getting some love, and high dollar restos, by the cogniscenti......

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You bought this car in the middle of March on eBay, so you probably received it 2-3 weeks ago. I had a deal with the owner at $37k subject to a PPI and he sold it underneath me the next day. I would still consider the car at $37K, but I woul need to do my due diligence. It seems like there is more to this story?

8. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    You mention that high cost of Ferrari maintenance is the reason for selling this car.

I'm assuming you knew this car was a Ferrari when you bought it.

Why did you buy it?

Looks nice btw.

9. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Yes, I knew it was a Ferrari when I bought it, but I didn't know about ferrarichat.com, where tales of $5-8K service abound. I thought 308s were easy to service and I didn't think it would be that costly.

Hey jimgolf1: $13-18K over market? Excuse me? Within six hours on this thread, I have a buyer at $37K. I suggest you spend a little more time learning the current market for these cars.

I'm a big boy. I have a significant collection of American and European cars. If I have to keep and enjoy this car for two to three years to get my money back, I will. I just thought I would throw it out there in case someone had a jones for a yellow carb 308 GTS.

10. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Nice car but here is where the deal falls short: buying ongoing repairs. Who would want to do that? Is there a firm number of the repair? Repairs are open books. In addition the decision to sell while in the shop. IMO this is not making for getting a great price oustside of talks.
    Again, this is not saying that you are trying to get rid of a large issue that you just discovered at someone expense but top price demands a top car with no unknown.

I have no dogs in this fight, just an observation. I personally like to know what I buy after the shop or before the shop, or it should be heavily discounted while in the shop.

11. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Are you sure it has power door locks and power mirrors ? Those options were not available in 1978. Must be after market add ons. If so, I am impressed that someone performed the work.

12. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Speculation and debates on 308 prices are ongoing in the 308/328 section. Prices are inching upwards, however us 3x8 owners are generally not in it for a big return investment....or if there ever will be one in the near future. Drive it, enjoy it. Thats our motto.

13. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't expect an open-ended transaction. I think the buyer has every right to talk with Rosellis about what is needed and what it's going to cost before making a buying decision.

It does have power locks and power mirrors. There is an alarm system that incorporates the door locks. Not sure about the mirrors.

14. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's a beautiful car in a slightly unusual and highly sought after color. With a completed full service, it's worth every penny and maybe more. Stick to your guns. FWIW you can service 308s for a relatively reasonable amount if you can do the work yourself, call it half of what a shop would charge. Yes it will be more than American cars, in some cases a lot more. But totally worth it. I say you keep it. :)

15. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Then again, the car may need nothing for another five years or more other than fluids.

Or, buy tools and learn to fix it yourself as many f-chatters do.

BTW: the car looks nice, perfect colour combo!

16. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    +1

I would pay top dollar for a car that was complete and fully serviced by a reputable mechanic. Selling a car while it's in the shop with an open-ended repair bill is a major red flag and deal killer at any price.

Finish the repairs, then put it up for sale. You will attract a larger audience and may even get your asking price.

17. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    You are probably right. The only reason to offer it now is to save the expense of getting it smog compliant. It would be a shame to spend $1500-2000 for that if it turns out the buyer is just going to pull all the stuff off anyway.

Anyone seriously interested who does not live in California should PM me. Otherwise, I'll just go through with the repairs and smog see where we stand.

18. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Where is the alternator belt?

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Air pump belt is off, most do this. If it was the alternator, that would be the easiest part to change on the car.

20. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #20 glenv6, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Looks like a nice car, good luck with your sale...

21. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    My major cost $400-500 doing it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There are two ways to "comfortably" own a Ferrari: 1. you have so much $, no repair costs cause you to lose sleep. 2. You can work on the car yourself. The service costs for these old, SIMPLE cars are absolutely criminal; all because there's a little horsie on the nose and butt of the car.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    On the other side of the engine.........;)

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    You see how easy access is the belt that is missing on the upper left rear of the engine. The alternator belt is at the very opposite, lower front right of the engine in a very unaccessible place.

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It may be old but it is not simple. With all the possible places to leak, all the old heater hoses to change, all the fuel hoses to swap out, all four old carbs, or all CIS ignition that is a mystery to most, valve adjustment that requires special tools and a bag of spare shims, all the stuck heads if you ever get into it, and where is that timing mark on the engine? Your mechanic down the street is not going to have the 4 notch sockets for the timing drive, air pump drive, drop gear, stubby shaft, and he is sure as hell not going to know how to set timing on the carb models with two distributors.

Old yes, simple no. And that is why it costs money to keep up these old cars.