1996 F355 Spider | FerrariChat

1996 F355 Spider

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Carbuilder, Jul 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #1 Carbuilder, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    I have been advertising this one locally and decided I might as well post it here as well. The car is in Canada (Ontario), but was originally a US car.

$49,500 Canadian (that is $46,100 US today).

I'll give more details here than in the ad since those into Ferraris will understand it better.

First, the good stuff.
    Newish Ferrari yellow paint (no chips or scratches).
    Brand new recovered dash (in black leather -- looks fantastic).
    Reupholstered seats.
    No sticky parts (its all been refinished).
    New tires and brakes.
    The engine-out major was done last year (early 2013).
    Has 3 FOBs with the PIN (as you know, this is very important and getting rare with used cars).

The not-so-good stuff.
    Here is the main issue, and the reason for the low price. At one time in the past, when it was still in the States, it had a fire in the engine compartment; it was either the fuel filter or filler hose, something in that area. The car was deemed Salvage by the insurance company at the time. It was later restored. There is absolutely no indication of previous damage. What ever was damaged was obviously replaced and the car totally restored. I had it inspected when I bought it and I have gone over it thoroughly top to bottom and the car is perfect. But the details as to exactly what happened are not well documented. Also, the engine out major last year was done by the previous owner, so it is not well documented either. I was convinced, in talking to him, that he did know what he was doing and it is was properly done. I do my own maintenance, as many of you do, so I didn't have a problem with this.

The convertible top is new, as are the hydraulic lines. The electrical stuff works, but there is still something wrong with the top. I'm still working on it and trying to get it working. It will go up and down with some fiddling and coaxing. The windows and seats move as they are supposed to, so it is down to something minor.

The "check engine" light came on recently; oxygen sensor codes. That is another thing that I will try and sort out if I have time before it sells.

Oh, the title today (in Ontario) is clean; it is not "restored" or "rebuilt" or whatever an ex-salvage car would be. The history of the car in Ontario (in the Used Vehicle Information Package -- the UVIP that we have to get for the car here when selling it) is also clean, no history of salvage.

It passed its DriveClean here in Ontario last year (it is still valid so if someone in Ontario buys it, you don't need another test.

I would put the condition of this car up against any other one for sale for $60K-$65K. If you want a car with a good history, then this is not the one for you. If you want an amazing deal on a car that will stand on its own condition today, then this is the one for you.

Any questions, feel free to ask. As I said this was originally a US car. Importation back to the US should not be an issue, but you would have to do your research on this.

Thank you,

Rick

1996 Ferrari 355 Spider Convertible | cars & trucks | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

2. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Just curious, is it the ex-salvage title that is the real turn-off here? The fact that it is in Canada? Can't be the current condition or price!

thanks,

Rick

3. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    I would guess the title has something to do with it. I was just looking at F355s, and I would have turned away from this one immediately, the major reason being the title and the second reason being that it is in Canada.

GLWS, I'm sure the car presents well in person! And you've gotta love yellow on the F355s.

4. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    355 are a hard sell here. Monteman gave his away not too long ago and that was one clean car.

5. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    No offense intended, but there's no such thing as an "ex"-Salvage Title.

6. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm not trying to hide anything, but the car has a perfectly "normal" title now in Ontario. So the title was Salvage at one point, now it isn't. Doesn't that make it an "ex-Salvage Title"?

7. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thank you very much for the input.

I do agree with you. When I am looking for a car I always skip over any of the ads that say "Salvage", no matter what the current condition or state of the car is. When I saw this one at a very good price I thought "what the heck, might as well check it out". And yes, the car presented itself so well that the salvage became less important. After driving it and checking it out I thought "I could get this car or get one in pretty much the same condition for $15,000 more and the only difference is what a piece of paper says. What is that piece of paper worth to me?"

Funny the way one of my friends put it: "So this car has had hoses, lines, and parts replaced that other Ferraris that haven't had a fire yet haven't had replaced. So yours is actually in better shape that those!". Because it had a fire in part of the engine area at one time it is an undesireable car. I understand that. But for someone who wants to get into a very good Ferrari at a really good price, this might be the way to do it.

Rick

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Since you like to tinker , and given your price point for this car , maybe more potential for you to part it out?

As for your friends comment , it's like comparing real boobs to fake boobs .... Majority of men will take real boobs ... Just like majority of buyers would want a car without the ex salvage title.

Good luck in the sale ,but if I was in your spot, I would part it out on eBay ..... Sounds like a lot of good parts where you can easily get 40k between wheels/engine/tranny and seats.

9. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I appreciate all the feedback.

Very interesting suggestion here. I never thought of that and my initial reaction was "it's a perfectly good car, what a waste to part it out". But it does come down to money at the end of the day. I'll do some research and see what I think I could get for the major stuff. Still a shame to part out a perfectly good car, but if it doesn't sell, well. It would be fun to take something apart that I don't have to put back together!

Rick

10. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Rick,if you think life is miserable selling a whole car you don't know the suffering you're in for in parting a car. I speak from much experience....lol

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Like Bruce said, I wouldn't part the car. How long will you need to sell enough parts to recover say $45K. Maybe a couple years. Better drive as is for those years and wait for the right buyer.

BTW do you still have the 328 or is it sold?

12. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The 328 was sold some time ago.

As for parting out the 355, I can't really see that happening but will think about it.

Rick

13. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think you need to find a local buyer who is a DIY'er and then you are in the ball park. The person buying it will have the same issues selling it when they are looking to move on as you are right here. That is what makes it a hard sell. The price has to be so good that they aren't worried about that. $40-42k USD is where I think you would find a local buyer if you were in the US.

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You and I know very well he will get low ball offers. Go back and read his HONEST description.

a 10-15k spread between his car and a car with no stories will make his car hard to sell, thus encouraging the bottom feeders. I don't know If that buyer is there at 40-45k, he may sit on it for a year .... Especially if 355 prices continue to stay flat, or fall a bit more.

Parting a car is never easy, but we are talking about money ..... I suspect parting it out as major components on eBay will be easy as the car is intact ....sells pieces as he takes them off , when time comes, I'm sure someone will buy the Caracas striped for a couple of grand as well.

It was a suggestion since he already knows how to take apart cars .... It might be an option once his phone rings and people start offering him 20grand from kiji.

Just sayin' :D

If my Testarossa ever went for 40 grand, I can assure you I would drive it with a snowplow first , and then Part it out , never mind giving someone else a running car with shinny paint to go on st.laurent for 40grand looking like a shooter......they can go find there own.

15. njjnaples

njjnaples Rookie

Oct 20, 2013
    Sussex UK, Naples Fl
    Full Name:
    Nigel Jenkins
    I had a spider with roof issues. Was fixed by doubling up on elastic straps between the roof hoops to ensure the hoops opened in correct sequence?

16. FerrariMack

FerrariMack Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Noel Mack
    I sthis car still for sale - and where in canada ?

17. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Sorry for the very, very late reply, but it was sold some time ago.
    Replaced with a C7 Vette.