1975 Dino308 GT/4 | FerrariChat

1975 Dino308 GT/4

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by IamRobG, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    #1 IamRobG, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So after a long discussion, i've decided to give up my Dino. I've only had it for a few months, and i've only put about 150 miles on it, but it needs to go for something a little more practical and driveable. I was really hoping to spend a good 20-30K and restore it to original condition over the next few years and make it a show winner, but as usual life gets in the way. I wanted to offer it up for sale to the F-Chatter community first before i traded it in on a different car. With families expanding and homes being sold, it's just not the right time.

Pro's-
    Its a GT/4
    Paint is clean from 5 feet
    Body is straight
    Doesn't smoke or leak
    Interior is fairly clean
    Tires a brand new
    Belts done in 2012 only 700 miles ago according to the stamp
    Fluids just done
    Inspection just done
    Mechanically Great
    New MSD Ignition
    New fuel lines
    Has spare cromodora wheel, other 4 aren't
    I did a magnet test and it doesn't seem like there's any bondo.
    Just over 40K miles
    Edit-Have the owners manual and some original documentation

Con's-
    Electrical gremlins- here's what doesn't work that i could find (horn, hazard, fog, radio, fan switches on center console are tricky and missing covers, blinkers are fast but all work, brake light on drivers side is dim)
    Paint is clean from 5 feet. It will need a wet sand and respray in a few years. Its not the original color.
    Missing tool kit
    Missing trunk carpet
    Non original front seats and missing head rests
    3rd Gear is finicky and will grind once in a while at high RPMS if you go to fast on downshift and upshift.
    A/C compressor is missing. Condenser is in the front but the hoses are missing. Evaporator is in place.
    Some cracks in the interior leather and on the dash.
    Weatherstripping is cracking
    Passenger side rear rim has a bend but it doesn't affect the drive just looks bad.
    Drivers side headlight does a double dance when turned on but highbeams and everything else works.
    No antenna's, covers put over the holes.
    Bumpers are in good condition, back bumper has some chipping on the drivers side.
    Missing rear bumper covers
    Badged a Ferrari not a Dino like some people would like.
    Some overspray

I think thats everything. Its a great drivers quality car if someone wants a 308 to cruise around in. I don't want to sell it, i love it, its just not a good time and i need something more practical with a 1 year old that the family can enjoy. I'm sure in 10 years i'll be looking online and going i bought one of those, now its unaffordable and i'll be kicking myself in the ass.

I'm looking for $27,500 given the clean body and the mechanical condition, but not any higher given the electrical gremlins and some non original parts. I'll keep it up here for a little while but i do have my eye on another car thats more practical right now and i have a good relationship with the dealership.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That looks like a nice one, GLWS.

3. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    That poor car. It has traveled more on trailers the last year than on the road. I think it's twice from coast to coast. I hope someone who can revive it picks it up this time. And you are in the ballpark, it will be at least $20-$30k to restore it correctly. Apparently it was raced at one point too.

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I know!! I feel so bad for it. I wish in the worst way i could keep it, but the priorities changed very quickly and i've been going back and forth for the last 2 weeks and what to do. I don't want to just throw it in storage until i can get to it, i'd rather let someone else enjoy for it now.

5. garytvr

garytvr Rookie

Jun 22, 2006
    Where in New York is the car located?

Gary

6. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
  7. guitnwithit

guitnwithit Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    No offense guys, but $20-30K would barely scratch the surface of a proper restore, not even close. It could make it a good driver though.

8. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Some guy puts up honest pics of a car, and then actual owners of Ferraris are (once again) reminded of why they should never post pics or even talk about the cars they own.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We're toughest on our own.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I hear you...frustrating really.

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Decent car and decent price if it passes and engine PPI. The other stuff is cosmetic. No rust is always good on these cars. I did not see the air pump. Luckily this is a standard Pep Boys part. The bracket is probably more expensive than the pump.

12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I like the car. I would "restore" it very lightly. I would not endeavor to do anything at all like a nut and bolt job. I know that some of that cosmetic stuff is costly. And once you do it, you will look at the next imperfection.

I would approach the largest cosmetic issues, without regard to OEM nonsense for this car. Although, there are some being broken. So I would certainly look around.

I have always though that the silver shows the lines of these cars well.

GLWTS

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Go for it.
    My car needs company.

14. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    No offense taken at all. I was trying to be nice but also I wasn't implying a concours restoration. Only to get it to a solid clean sorted out driver. This car has been on several threads in the last year. This is not a perfect car at all, although it is a 1975 which would be desirable if still in CA. For the right price.

15. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Why wouldn't it scratch the surface? Everything but paint i would be doing myself. For those of us that are mechanically inclined, it takes the cost down significantly. I have previous body work experience and the car is mechanically sound. Just gotta sort out the wiring nonsense (which i hate more than anything) and take some time to find the parts. I've done nut and bolt restorations on cars before with people, its time consuming which is why labor costs go so high.

16. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Amen!!!

17. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    I just got a reply from the other GT4 for sale with the dropped valve which seems like a better GT4 since it doesn't have any other issues but the valve and he said if he doesn't get 25k it's staying put. I would love to get one of these cars but already have too much on my plate with other vehicles.
    I would prefer the rear shelf option and if I had 25k would definitely snatch it up....just my 2 cents.

18. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    You know whats funny, i always cruise through the for sale sections and read all the comments and its amazing how many people have to put their opinions on everything when they have no interest in buying but i never really paid attention or cared. Then I put something up figuring i'm doing the nice thing by offering it to someone in the FChat community that would show the car some love and care, but now i'm second guessing that and i'm thinking about just doing the trade in route.

19. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I don't think you experience is unique to FChat. Selling an enthusiast car is a soul destroying task no matter what the marque.

20. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Don't fret over what's on the internet! :)

View it as a free bump...everyone has ADD and only looks at your pictures.

So please post a picture of what you are considering trading for...so everyone can give you their expert opinions. :D

GLWS..The Dino GT4 "owners" will miss you!

21. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    After a long discussion with my wife, i'm keeping it. I'm going to spend the time and money and turn this thing around.

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I am glad for you. Keep us apprised of your progress.

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sounds like you've got two keepers there.

24. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I really appreciate the honest ad. I really love the color combination too; for some reason, the silver works with the shape of the GT4.

My advice to you is to hold onto it, which it sounds like you've decided to do. GT4 prices have nowhere to go but up...

25. kmgreg

kmgreg Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Kathryn
    I'm glad you're keeping it! If I ever get to doing the major on mine, it will join yours in Long Island. Best of luck!