1980 308 GTSi -- yellow with euro bumpers, blanked side lights | FerrariChat

1980 308 GTSi -- yellow with euro bumpers, blanked side lights

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by uberlink, Aug 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Up for sale is my 1980 308 GTSi. 63,000 miles. Loads of service records. New belts and hoses less than three years (5k miles) ago. New clutch last summer. New high-performance aluminum radiator last summer. New Bridgestone tires on new 16" qv replica wheels (Superformance) last summer. A/C serviced a year ago and holding the charge beautifully -- blows cool. New battery in the last year, too.

Very good condition. Minor paint chips here and there, but it was resprayed yellow in the 1990s. The interior was redone at that time with yellow cloth inserts in the black seats.

Runs excellent. Always starts right up. Everything works. $27,900.

PM or email [email protected].

2. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    #2 uberlink, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry, here are photos. By the way, I bought this about three years ago in Tacoma. I drove it 1800 miles home to MN shortly thereafter. It was serviced by Alfa of Tacoma (to the tune of $7500 for belts, hoses, valve adjustment, etc) before I took delivery. I also had a new steering box installed before I picked it up, for another $2500. Our own 2NA has serviced it since it's been in Minnesota.

Speedo has been redone to 160mph. Original Campagnolo 14" wheels come with the car. Birdman fuse box installed, but original comes with. So does the original radiator.

Considering selling only because we have two kids now and I'm looking to get into a 2+2 for greater usability.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    It's a beautiful car at a great price. Good luck with your sale.

4. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Seems like a steal. Will be gone by Wed I would assume

5. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    #5 uberlink, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    I've had a lot of interest and some good questions. Here are answers:

Fuel lines: Replaced last year with the fancy orange ones by Dave Helms.

Switches and Vents: All work. Replaced the light switch with one from Verell a year or two back. Also replaced one of the kidney dash vents with his (the other was fine). The A/C/ vent below the radio is missing a few fins, but works fine otherwise.

Transmission: Fine into all gears but it is best to slowly push it into second, especially when cold. This was improved markedly by the switch to Red Line, but it's still best to slowly push it in rather than shoving it, particularly when cold.

Lights: All work. (Everything works.)

Paint: As noted in the initial post, good overall. The car was originally grigio in color. A prior owner took it down to bare metal for the respray (as shown in a pile of polaroids from the project that come with the car). Very good gloss and sheen with no orange peel that I can see. There is a chip on the right rear corner, to the right of the tail light. There is a small ding on the lower part of the passenger door where someone opened a door into it. There is a small abrasion in the paint where the passenger window must at some point have contacted the paint. I worked on the door after I got the car and got it hanging straight so this is no longer touching, but that paint could be touched up with a brush or airbrush. No rust except for one small bubble (about 1" or so in size) in near the leading edge of the lower half of the passenger door. That bubble has not grown since I bought the car.

Mats are new last year.

Weather stripping is good overall. New around the spare compartment. Not new but in good condition around the compartment behind the engine. I have a new zippered cover for that compartment, but it is not yet installed.

Wipers are good. New wiper arms a couple years ago. New wiper bottle and motor around the same time.

Exhaust is magnaflow. It sounds incredible, especially as you get past around 3000RPM. It does not have the exhuast "diaper" on the back, apparently a casualty of the switch to Euro bumpers. If I decide to keep it, I might at some point hunt down and install a Euro body-colored valence. As it is, the exhaust system is exposed, but it is all black. It looks fine without it.

Suspension was upgraded by a prior owner. I don't know a ton about it, but the PPI report when I bought the car mentioned that.

No one has asked, but I'll mention that I installed a new OEM-style coolant overflow bottle in the past year.

I love this car. It is a driver, not a show car...but it is a blast to drive, great looking, fun being in one of the very few yellow 308s on the road. Lots of thumbs up all the time, and it sounds great. As far as I know, it needs nothing.

In fact, I may well keep it. The only reason I am considering selling is to get into a 2+2 like a Mondial, GT4, or even a 911 until the kids get bigger. (But maybe we should become a two-Ferrari family.)

Given that and the amount of interested received so far, and with total respect to those who have asked, I am not particularly inclined to negotiate down the price.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The price is fair for the car, I would not negotiate it either. Maybe buy the buyer lunch when they come to pick it up, but that's about all! I like the straightforward description including the flaws. For a nearly 35 year old car, it seems excellent!

:)
    BT

7. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Price looks good. I miss my 308, wish I had more cash and more space..... Want to wish you good luck on the sale, but I know what it's like to love these cars so make sure you're really ready to let it go.

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I paid your asking price for my 1980 308 7 years ago.

Nice car GREAT price.

Be gone soon I'd guess.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think your car is worth at least 30% more in this market.

You have a fantastic car

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Priced too low. Someone should gobble this up.

11. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Seems very too low to me too. Pretty car. Why lot let it run on eBay? It doesn't cost much to list. Good luck! Jim

12. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Maybe I'm too low, judging by the level of interest. I might try it on eBay.

13. emmodg

emmodg Rookie

Apr 4, 2006
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    J.B. McClure III
    Email sent.

14. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    My sincere apologies to all who have expressed interest. I am taking this off the market while I reassess the price. Still happy to answer questions and consider offers, but I need to do some research. My head may be stuck in the pricing of three years ago when I bought it.

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    GLWS!! Do some research on the yellow also. It's fairly rare as well : )

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Smart move. :)

You have a nice car. Let the market speak!

17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    The trend is your friend..

18. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    This really is a nice driver and Mark has had it maintained since buying it.

19. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about.

20. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Pricing it higher won't cost you anything other than time (potentially) but I always advise people to price it fairly. Selling it quick at a fair price is worth something for sure. The fact that it hasn't sold yet means that your price isn't absurdly low. I do think its priced right on the "lower end of fair" which IMO is right where you want to be as a seller.

The longest it has ever taken me to sell a car is three days. That's 3 Porsche 911s, 2 Ferraris and a V8TT Lotus Esprit. Maybe I could have got more had I wanted to wait.

I think the money to be made is in "BUYING right", not squeezing every penny out of it in the back end (sale). If there is agony to be felt it is ALWAYS in the SALE of a car. Price it right, move on, and enjoy the hunt for the new car.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow - GLWS!

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This will be an interesting case....the market IS rising, but it is collectors driving demand, so get ready to hear it, for EVERY single modification you have done!!

Let us know how all that goes.

My first 308 was yellow and I'll admit that's about all I knew about them at the time!!!
    "I think I would like a yellow one"....:D :D :D

23. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I agree with those who said it was underpriced.

PDG

24. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Many thanks for your thoughts. I think the reason it hasn't sold may have something to do with the fact that I only listed it on Sunday and took it off the market on Monday to reassess the price. Just a pause, though, while I think things through. Your words and those of others are much appreciated.

25. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thinking If I sold mine I'd show it with the original 14 inch wheels, paint the front louvers back to red, remove aluminum pedals, replacing the black plastic shift knob etc. Presenting the car in original condition speaks much louder than saying it can be put back to original condition without too much effort.