Ferrari 512 BB | FerrariChat

Ferrari 512 BB

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by glabbe, Aug 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I am looking for a Ferrari 512 BB. I am fine with a driver. I actually would rather have a driver.

I have wanted a 512 BB for 35 years. Now that I have retired I am in the position to purchase one and enjoy it. By the way my 599 needs and older brother to learn about the great Ferrari tradition.

If you have one that needs a good home or know someone interested in selling their's, please let me know

Gary

2. COOPERDB

COOPERDB Rookie

Aug 29, 2014
    `

An incredible car with incredible lines -

One of my favorites -

Good luck with your search ---

3. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    My neighbor has one, he too is a doctor. I'm not sure he's ready

4. Yellow512TR

Yellow512TR Rookie

Mar 30, 2014
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a Yellow 512TR, purchased this spring, beautiful ride, most compliments I have had from any I have owned. If you like I could send photos. And no, I have not even thought of a price. It would have to be enough to make me let go.

5. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    Copley has a '77 512BB in Giallo Fly

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Ummmm....What?

Why would someone wih the interest and means to get a 512BB be interested in a TR? Then again, this is probably posted in the wrong ad by mistake.

7. Yellow512TR

Yellow512TR Rookie

Mar 30, 2014
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Always been too quick to answer without reading well.

8. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    vonbaron - If You speak to him and he is interested please let me know. Thank you for responding.

9. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Premoto! - I am apologize for my ignorance but who is Copley and what is Giallo Fly?

10. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Promoto1 - So sorry. I should have used Google before I asked. I found the car. No picture and very little information but you provided a solid lead. Thank you very much

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

call it fly yellow.

12. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    From now on I will translate all Ferrari colors to English. My bad.

13. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    Keith and Stu at Copley are good guys. I know the car is there. They would be able to send pics shortly. The money will be a bit strong but the car will be accurately represented and most certainly a good example.

14. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Thanks Ferrari Pete and Promoto1. The color sounds interesting. I can hardly wait to see some pictures. I hope the price is not unreasonable, but these days can any price someone asks for a Ferrari be considered unreasonable?

15. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    The asking price for the Ferrari 512 BB at Copley is $325,000. That price is way over what I would consider reasonable for the car. The car is a 2 or more likely a 2-minus. Certainly not a concourse car.

There is a 512 BBi on Hemmings for $289,000. It is in better shape than the one at Copley and has been sitting for about three months. Unfortunately I want a carbureted version.

I think I might try for the 365 GT4 BB coming up for auction soon. The high estimate is $300,000. A much cooler car than the 512 BB.

So, I will keep looking. As before if anyone knows of anyone who has a 512 BB that needs a good home let me know.

16. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I wanted to make one thing perfectly clear. Nowhere in my previous post did I intend to say anything bad about Copley. i spoke with Keith and he was great to deal with. He responded to my requested and was extremely gracious and respectful in his discussions with me. We had a great discussion on Ferrari values. We just didn't agree on the price of this car.

The yellow paint really makes the car pop. They very well might get someone to pay $325,000. They are out to maximize profits. As Emilio Barzini said in the godfather "after all... we are not Communists"

17. ferraripete

a few coments to your post:

1) I don't think even factory new, was a carb boxer ever better than a condition 2...the fit and finish was terrible!!!!!!

2) the bbi's were better finished and tend to still show better today unless you encounter a restored carb car. I personally ended up w/ a bbi because all the carb cars looked like roaches.

3) the 365 bb going for the $300k range will be a tired and very needy car I suspect...a good to great example will be in the $500k range currently.

good luck!!!!

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed.

The BBI is also much more useable, and is great for passing. the power does go flattish around 6-6.5k and allegedly the carb cars are stronger there. Not too many places you can run over 150 though, and if you wnat a nice orig car a BBI is still around..

19. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    I highly doubt the BBi in Hemmings is better than the black BBi at Copley. At can't speak to the yellow BB on their website but am intimately familiar with the black car. If the Hemmings car is much better than the black BBi at Copley, I would be all over it.

20. ferraripete

I think the OP will find some nice cars out there but I think first and foremost, he must reconcile his valuation notion vs where the market seems to be currently and where it may go. that is first...failing that happening, I doubt the OP will be able to transact on a car of the condition he is seeking.

21. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    My neighbors is injected, haven't spoke with him yet

22. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I just missed a 512 BB. It sold for $265,000. Nice car, but was due for the major engine out service.

23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Not a problem, I missed a few when I was looking for a Boxer last year. Be on a mission everyday to see if any hit the market, call as many people as you can to let them know you are looking and serious, and network to find cars which are not and won't be advertised. You will find one.

24. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Thanks for the encouragement Dwhite.

25. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I first noticed that the highly modified Ferrari 512 BB up for auction at RM was a radio delete. I have since noticed the 512 BB at Copley's is a radio delete. I had not notice this on any Ferrari I have looked at before. Was this a rare option or are there a number of those floating around.

I know in the vintage muscle car era a radio delete was a big deal signifying it was a true race car.