1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Red/Tan - Rare Manual 3-Pedal, located in So-Cal | FerrariChat

1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Red/Tan - Rare Manual 3-Pedal, located in So-Cal

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by X-TNSIV, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. X-TNSIV

X-TNSIV Formula Junior

May 2, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #1 X-TNSIV, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Life priorities are changing and my car won't be driven much soon, so I am considering putting up my car for sale.

Here are the details on the vehicle:

1999 Ferrari 360 Modena
    Rossa Corsa Red / Tan
    Rare Manual 6 Speed (3 Pedal)
    33K miles

Recent Service:

Timing belt (including tensioner) / Full Fluid Service / Cam Cover Gaskets / Cam Seals / Engine Mounts / Scuderia Transmission Mount / Engine Air Filters - all just replaced 7/2014

Spark Plugs were also replaced at time of purchase / inspection ~2-3K miles ago 5/2013

Previous owner was in Nor-Cal and was serviced by Brian Crall up there.
    I have service records for the car.

Clutch is visually inspected to be around 70% life remaining (not possible to spec with diagnostic computer since it's not a F1)

This car was driven regularly, and that's what I purchased this Ferrari.

F.Y.I. 1999 Ferrari 360's did not have pre-cats, therefore you will technically have more power than with 2000+ model years and won't run into problems with degradation of the pre-cat and potentially damaging your engine.

Vehicles Options Include:
    Challenge Front Grills
    Challenge Rear Grill
    Fender Shields
    Challenge Stradale Style Front Bumper
    Challenge Stradale Style Side-Skirts
    Challenge Stradale Skid Plates
    XPEL Custom Clear Bra (Full Hood, Full Bumper Full Fenders, Mirrors, and Full Side-Skirts) - installed 8/2014
    Alpine CD Radio (will include factory radio)
    Pre-Wired for battery tender
    Factory 5 Star Wheels

Comes with 2 keys, 3 remotes (including the red one), owners manual, etc.

Please note: The car will come with the factory exhaust and cats at the asking price. (I do currently have the Tubi NGT and Tubi High Flow Cats installed on the car, I will include them for an extra $2K if the buyer wants them. Does not have a check engine light from the cats.)

In Orange County, CA
    Local inspections welcome.

Price is: $74,888

You may also reach me via : iwantwu "at" hotmail "dot" com

Picture is just a placeholder... more to come this weekend.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Sounds nice! Lots of 6 speeds Modenas posted here this week!

GLWS

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Sounds like a winner!

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wow..just needs CS wheels.

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agreed, which fortunately can be added rather easily. Great spec.

6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Man, I love seeing "high mileage cars." It good to see that I'm not the only one who drives them

7. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    So true.... it's killing me right now as I've been working the wife over for permission to off my GT-R and replace it with a 360.... so far no go. :-(

8. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

Do as I do. Buy her a very nice car, or something else, and try again. Life's too short to not own and drive a 360.

9. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Beautiful car!!

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. ;)

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    15-year old car averaged ~2,000 miles per year.

By no means, a "high mileage" car (IMHO). I'd rather buy a regularly driven car that's sorted out, rather than a garage queen.

Also, the very desirable 1999 no pre-cat, 3-pedal model at what appears to me to be a very fair market price. Maybe below market.

Someone is going to be very happy with that car.

12. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I'm new to the market and looking for a 360. Is this really market price?

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes

14. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Great price for that color combo.

15. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Not really - the price reflected is above retail for 1999 given miles, which would be the price you will see at any dealer as asking price for a similar cars 99-01. 99s are in the $50-60k range unless it is ultra low mileage car and in Ferrari land anything over 10k mi is viewed as high mileage unless it's a >20 year old car. Good luck on your buy.

16. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    #16 proof69, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

That's interesting you say that. I had a long talk with c&c in Ontario, California. They specialize in used Ferrari's and have about 50 in stock. I actually asked him what would be the wholesale value on a car like this. He said without seeing it 45k. If he saw it and liked it 50k would be all the money. So if these cars are retailing for 75k that's a huge markup.

17. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #17 Ron328, Sep 20, 2014
    $75 is asking price which you don't pay.
    IMO, it will be hard though (but not impossible) to find a no-issue 360 for 50-60k, even a '99. Looks like there is a premium nowadays for a manual tranny.

18. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    And what would the likelihood of the seller here dropping his price $15-20K to move the car? I don't think that your reasoning is incorrect, but I don't see this seller dropping his price to be in line with what you think the market might be.

$25K is a huge markup if C&C is buying 360's for $50,000 though. Where do I get my dealer license at????

19. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

That seems reasonable to me.

20. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #20 Ron328, Sep 20, 2014

I didn't mean a price drop of $15-20k. If I were to buy the car, I'd offer between $5-8k (or even 10k) lower than his asking which is more realistic. As I said, it will be hard to find a good 360 for 50-60k. Even at 65k, there may still be significant issues.

21. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Gotcha.

22. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #22 sherrillt, Sep 20, 2014
    Actually it is not and they do not always get full asking. You are assuming there is no risk and that you as a seller will sell at full asking to gross the full mark-up. If you are in the business and you take in a car you will need to service, detail, fix (tires, mech issues, etc) if you want to sell the car and have a reputation and then additionally you have your overhead and potential that while trying to sell it that it doesn't develop any issues (gear box, leaks, major failures) at the end of the day you're taking a measured gamble that you will come out ahead and this may take you months of dealing with egos (guys buying even used Ferrari's think they are a big deal), dreamers and tire kickers, time wasters...you name it

the margins are higher, but so are the risks. Bottom line is - what ROI do you need when you gamble your $50k and have to put in time, money and effort to sell? You can't expect a used car outfit in upper brackets to make $1k a car like the local new car Chevy dealer who has little to no risk on pushing volume new cars.

For the most part I think most seasoned buyers of ultra luxury cars know there is a $15-$20k mark-up from wholesale to retail and if this is a new discovery - youre either new or unknowing of the process (not trying to sound like a jerk).

23. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I'm in sales so I follow margins with interest, just didn't think there was that much in a used 360. But it's true if you all of a sudden find yourself doing a bunch of preventive maint on the car that it'll eat into that profit you wanted to realize quite quickly.

24. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I think that is a huge markup. I used to broker new luxury cars and we would sell some cars under invoice. If I made 500.00 for my pocket I was doing good.

25. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Not a good comparison - brokering has no risk (it's just pass through) and moving new units has the hold back (factory incentive) of just moving units so money is being made even below invoice. selling new and used in not directly comparable with these factors in play.

Risk is everything and if you know Aston, Bentley, Ferrari, repair and parts costs you can understand the dice roll in play when you're moving a $50k 10yo Ferrari vs $50k 2 yo Corvette with smaller margin...we know which seller stands the bigger chance of rolling "snake eyes" so there is proportional risk and reward.