1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT Early "L" Series, completely restored | FerrariChat

1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT Early "L" Series, completely restored

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by 4redno, Oct 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    #1 4redno, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For sale by owner. 1969 Ferrari Dino 246GT. S/N #00542 (early "L" series - one of only 357 first series cars).

Price (MODIFIED AT OP'S REQUEST): the car will now be sold WITHOUT RESERVE at the Bonhams Scottsdale Auction which takes place on January 15th, 2015 at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa.

• Originally delivered in Italy and serviced at the Ferrari factory in period
    • Well documented ownership history
    • 3 times platinum award winning restoration
    • Best V6 award at Ferrari National Meet
    • Complete with tools, jack bag, pouch, manuals, key fob
    • Engine and gearbox are the correct type for an “L” but are not original to the car

I purchased the car in 1996 and had it restored it over a four year period. No expense was spared. Body and paint by Pebble Beach winning Byers Custom and Restoration. Mechanical/Electrical restoration by Ferrari mechanic Sergio Belli. Interior materials sourced from Romano Luppi in Italy. Countless NOS parts personally sourced and installed, making this car complete and correct down to the last detail. Pictures of the restoration are available for review.

The car has seen limited use since the restoration was completed and it still looks and drives like new. It needs nothing except a new owner. The car is located in Seattle and can be viewed by appointment.

Interested buyers should send me a private message with your name, phone number and location. I will call you back as soon as I am able to.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Absolutely gorgeous

3. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    My son who is 19 says this is his dream car 246 Dino. He says at some point he will have one, I hope he does and is that successful.

Wish I had enough to get him one. Better go get a lottery ticket today.
    Looks amazing. GLWS.
    Car is stunning by the way.

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yes. Gorgeous car. GLWS.

Robb

5. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Beautiful GLWS

6. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Wow. I love the color combination. Could you post more pictures of the interior?

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Spectacular! What a fine example!

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    For anyone looking for a perfect Dino this vehicle represents a rare opportunity.

The word 'restoration' is thrown around a lot and is normally attached to a car that has been painted with new upholstery and it continually annoys me to see second or third rate cars be referred to as 'restored' or 'perfect'. This car is far from that.

I have often said that the last 5% easily doubles both a restorations time and budget and this car is certainly nearer to 100% than it is to 95%. I too have recently gone through the process of trying for a 100 point Dino and it is brutally hard and time consuming to get the last little bit correct. The owner of this Dino did just that during his restoration investing amounts of time and effort that can never be recovered at the selling price. In fact with a FREE complete starter car a restoration to the standard of this one would require north of $500K to achieve.

The non numbers matching drivetrain may scare off some collectors but as noted the engine and transmission are perfectly correct to an L series Dino so for the buyer who intends to DRIVE their car and enjoy it then this should be of little consequence.

I personally have no interest in the sale of this car but I do respect exceptional work when I see it and hope that this Dino finds a good home with an owner who will drive it.

9. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Thanks for the kind note. I've watched your Dino restoration and the associated documentation you provided on your website with great interest. You too went to great lengths to get it right and it shows. Your Dino came out beautifully and I hope you will enjoy yours for as long as I enjoyed mine.

10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Keith,
    I've driven your car, crawled all over it, taken countless pictures, asked you a thousand questions and it's a beauty and an inspiration.
    I hope the new owner has as much enthusiasm for it as you ...
    Best, Andrew

11. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    WOW that is just beautiful. All the Best.

12. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

13. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    A Ferrari can indeed receive a platinum award without its original engine or gearbox. As noted, mine received three separate platinum awards - Concourso Italiano, Ferrari National Meet and Cavallino.

A Ferrari can also receive Classiche certification with an engine and gearbox not born with the car, provided it is one from the same type/series car so this one would qualify.

FYI...Keith

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've seen Keith's Dino since July 2007 when he first brought it to the "Ferraris on 12th" event. He spent 30 mins showing me his portfolio book on all aspects on the restoration. It is simply immaculate and everything is executed to a very high level.

Terrible news that you must sell but somebody will get an exceptional Dino.

If you're not familiar with Jon Byers or his paintwork, his painted cars have won Pebble Beach awards every year since 1996 and Jon is the exclusive painter for the Jon Shirley collection.
    Vintage Race Cars

15. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Price is now $525,000

16. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Still for sale

17. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I received several inquiries regarding my Dino - thank you for your interest.

I have decided to consign the car with Bonhams for their Scottsdale Auction which takes place on January 15th, 2015 at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa.

The car will be sold at the auction WITHOUT RESERVE.

Cheers,

Keith

18. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    #18 4redno, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  19. Franz Dieter Seiwert

Mar 11, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Franz Dieter Seiwert
    cangratulations! I am so envious

20. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    It was a dream to own a Dino.

If you buy it in January, you won't have to be envious any more.

Regards,

Keith

21. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2014
    Any Port in a Storm
    Full Name:
    Alex Stephen
    This makes no sense. Not original drivetrain, yet can qualify for the highest award.
    What award goes to cars with the same quality restoration yet have the original drivetrain?!
    A level higher than platinum?
    This judging paradox would diminish my degree of acknowledgement & worth.

22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It makes total sense when you understand that the judging criteria of the Ferrari Club of America places an emphasis on the importance to drive a Ferrari over it being exact to the way it left the factory. For this reason they do not deduct points for wear and maintenance items that have been replaced for reasonable substitutes.

Other marques require that everything be exact down to date coded items that compromise the ability to drive the car and make it little more than a show piece. An example would be a date coded radiator hose which may be a 40 year old NOS piece of rubber but today is too old and risky to use.

In the case of a drivetrain this is far from a service item however the FCA considers a drivetrain that is correct to period and restored as such as being not worthy of a deduction whose primary concern is that of DRIVING the car. We are really just talking about a number stamped on the block here which I agree has some value but in no way diminishes ones restoration work or your ability to drive a car with the exact same feelings as original.

The FCA judging standards are very sound and make no efforts to hide mis-matched numbers but place their emphasis on the quality of restoration work along with the ability to use the car as it is intended.

When it comes to selling a car then the difference in drivetrain should be considered and it is up to the buyer to determine how much this matters to them. In the end there really are two types of buyers:

One that buys a car as a trophy placing a premium on market values. Ironically these owners rarely ever drive their cars and in my opinion they miss the point of owning a car in the first place.

The other buys the car as a car uses it enjoys it and then sells it on when they choose to have something else. I prefer this way of doing things and would not discount a car too much for a mismatched drivetrain. After all when I was a kid I fell in love with the car not documents, tools, pouches, and ID tags.

23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Good god that car is amazing

24. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks so much for the link to the photos, so very nice. Part of me wonders if you could have sold it already outside of the auction if you had started off with great pictures and drive videos.

25. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Fantastic looking car, GLWS Keith. Tremendous job on the restoration.