308 GTB euro spec | FerrariChat

308 GTB euro spec

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by gilles1982, Jan 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gilles1982

gilles1982 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Buyer in the USA seeking a 308 GTB euro spec car - appreciate any leads you guys may have to help me connect with owners who may be interested in selling.

Thanks!

Graham Henckel
    [email protected]

2. gilles1982

gilles1982 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Gents

Let's all agree that regular, methodical watching of the 308 market in the past year allows us to conclude 1 thing: over the past 6 months, the 308 market has just gone insane.

Please, do not misunderstand me. Well maintained 308s have been WAY undervalued for decades, let's all agree. And they are a great design, maybe the best ever, at least to middle-aged eyes (but don't think this perception will last forever; my kids all think that 308's look dumpy). And let's also agree that markets inflating by 100% or more within months, for a product that has been widely available for 30-40 years, is pretty silly.

And unsustainable.

There is a well-defined curve showing how many buyers can afford toy cars of increasing cost. And the curve of course declines with increasing price. The problem is that there are a limited number of "dedicated" Ferrari buyers seeking a great 308 - the speculators are again sweeping in to this "bargain Ferrari" marketplace, and getting a piece of the action. Or so they hope.

Like many of you, I'll forever love the design of the 308. But I'm a driver, and I've driven 308s, and I won't kill myself for this car. It would be the slowest car in my fleet (ever, and by far). So, like many buyers, I won't pay what I perceive to be sudden, bubble prices. Economic reality still applies. Supply and demand is a real truth, and there remains a lot of 308 supply out there. Of course, I expect this post to be greeted with demands to immediately burn me on the cross (I must be a heretic!)

But if you have a 308 GTB QV you're looking to sell for a (near) reasonable price, let me know. I'm a still a buyer. Thanks for listening.

3. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Hmmm if you think this is a bubble I recommend that you wait. In fact this would be the worst time to purchase one if you are correct.

I don't agree with your assessment of the market . I see it rather as a correction since values have remained unchanged so long.

But time will tell.

Good hunting.

4. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I am currently selling my 308. Not a qv but a non cat car. Got some inquiries but everyone i have spoken to expect to be buying for prices that were common 5 years ago. As a previous poster stated some sellers will list their cars without doing their homework. But those who know what they have will ride the wave and wait for the right buyer at the right price. Good luck with your search.

5. gilles1982

gilles1982 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks for asking! I'm certainly open to other options, (US spec, GTS, even 355s and 360s! love those too). Very willing to pay current market price, but just not some of the speculative, hyper-inflated pricing we've seen online recently.

Please PM me with more info and I'd be happy to contact you soon!

Please keep the leads coming gents - thanks!

6. gilles1982

gilles1982 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Gents

I think my comments were misunderstood - I agree totally that the 308 market was long overdue for a significant, upside correction. These cars have been long undervalued. I just think some dealers are getting greedy with their latest asking prices.

7. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    outside of a vetro...i couldnt agree with you more

the vast majority of the folks asking for the sky high prices didnt own the car for more than 4 years

8. gilles1982

gilles1982 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Exactly - that is the tragedy of 'speculator' markets: they draw in the speculator vultures, who are really only in to try to make money in the transaction (and many of them are the same dealers we all know), and then the rapid escalation in pricing scares off many of the real buyers, the enthusiast drivers, who are the ones who drive the broader market pricing in general. Example: there is a nice Sera Blue GTS on ebay now for $80k which looks just like the Sera blue GTS sold by IAG last fall for $45k or less... I called on this car (alas, after it had sold) and would have bought that car all day long at $45k (or more!), but not at $80k 4 months later. (forgive me if this isn't the same car, but it sure looks like it...)

The great news, (despite my occasional rants on this point :) ) is that the internet and FerrariChat has enabled (and forces good) transparency among smart buyers and sellers, and this forum helps connect serious buyers with sellers, and at reasonable and market correct prices IMO. We are establishing the real world market on this forum, despite what may occur at the auctions (high or low).

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    After reading your posts, it really seems that you should wait til the market does what you want it to...that is drop back to where you can get your euro GTB for $45K...

I think you'll be waiting forever.

Happy hunting!

10. gilles1982

gilles1982 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks for your post Hannibal - it's important to be clear here. I agree with your contention, but perhaps I was not clear in my earlier post (sorry).

I do NOT expect to pay 45k for a great euro 308. I agree that this is a market of the past (sheesh - for all of us who passed on 308s for far less!) The collectible market does increase with time, as we all know.

So I'm seeking a nice euro car at a current market price. But that would not be the $345k car on ebay right now. I consider that car a little overpriced, with my best wishes to the seller, of course.

thanks

11. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The question is what do you think a current market price is? There has been at least one sale of a US GTB in the $90k range, so there's been a definite jump lately. Euro GTB QV sales are vanishingly rare, so finding a decent comp is really tough. I know, I have a vested interest there. :) I spent a long time looking for my car, but the search and wait was definitely worth it.

I will say I'm not planning on selling for a good long time and I'm enjoying watching the market scramble. That said, there is a price that would make it hard to say no. It starts with a 1.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Agree completely. There's nice and then there's perfect, and those are worlds apart.

My 77 Euro dry sump was really hard for me to find, and I would only let it go for about $100K...and it's not really nice, just okay C3/4.

Still wishing you best of luck...

13. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    the last 2 cars i sold were back on the market in less than a week asking double. no bubble... they say? i'd wish they would stay in the Derivatives and Shadow Banking and leave the vintage cars to the enthusiast.

14. Jelle Mulder

Jelle Mulder Rookie

Feb 4, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jelle Mulder
    I could´nt agree with you more. They do destroy the Market.
    At the moment I think however that the 80-100k market is a descent and probably for the future holdable mark.

15. 10ksupercars

10ksupercars Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 16, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    Full Name:
    Russell Harper
    There is a 1980 GTB euro car 53km/mi New clutch brakes belts for 42000.00 on jacksonville FL Craigslist posted 4 days ago.

16. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That car sold I believe, chronicled in the 308 section.

17. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Of course, the converse argument is that the higher selling prices allow and/or motivate higher level restorations of many of these cars which could otherwise have gone down rocky roads of misuse and abuse, placing outstanding cars back into a marketplace which otherwise could or would have been filled with mediocre cars. When a GTB was worth 35k, it was a rare time indeed when someone would spend $50-$100k on a restoration, but at $75-$125k, it becomes much less burdensome to go whole hog on a restoration, and many higher quality cars end up on the market. This is much like what happened to the 190SL market, where rust buckets were transformed back into legitimate concours quality cars.

WRT our old blue car, I can assure you that it is not the same car, nor did we ever sell it for $45k. That car went overseas to a very happy new buyer, who paid substantially more for the car than $45k - just in the interest of correcting the "real world market"

18. gilles1982

gilles1982 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Very good points, I do agree. Thanks for setting the record straight wrt to car you sold too.

19. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I agree with the original argument that as an item increases in value, fewer people will be able to buy it. However, this isn't toothpaste--it's a Ferrari. As the price goes up, MORE people are going to want to buy it, not fewer. This very well may be your last chance to own one of these cars at anything approaching an attainable price, and people seem to get that fact at last.

I believe that bubbles go both ways. The "bubble" is the area on a price chart that forms between the current price and the long-term trend line, or the general rate of inflation. The 308 has been priced under the long-term inflation rate for a very long time. That bubble (under the inflation rate) is now bursting and cars are arguably trading at something closer to trend. Will another bubble form above the trend? Possibly, but I don't see that yet.

I could be completely wrong, but I don't see how a 308 GTB QV is a $40-$50k car now or ever again barring WWIII.

20. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #20 desmomini, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    yep, stupid me was 2nd bidder on a classiche glass two years a ago, sold for 63 plus premium. I though I'd find another but never got around to it. RM Arizona 2011. I figured these would be 250k cars at some point, and they will be, and maybe more at some point.

Results - | Classic Car Auctions | RM Sotheby's

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Euro car now at rmp, I think he has two dry sum cars.