1997 F355 Spider Red/Tan Gated | FerrariChat

1997 F355 Spider Red/Tan Gated

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by st4rk, Feb 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    #1 st4rk, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Price: $47500
    Major service: Due in 2015
    Miles: ~30k

Looking to get rid of the 355. It has some issues, is driven very frequently, hits redline every time - after waiting for proper oil temp, of course.

Let's start out with the bad news:
    -Various small paint chips, most on the front as expected
    -Leather shrinking on pod, doors
    -Sticky vents
    -Right rear wheel bearing has a slight amount of play, need to repack bearings
    -Horn does not work
    -Impending major service due *dun dun dunnnnnn!*
    -3 inch rip on passenger side soft top
    -Curb rash on most of the rims
    -Leather shrank and fell off the passenger airbag cover

Positive aspects:
    -New clutch, ~2000 miles on it so far, resurfaced flywheel
    -New belt tensioner
    -Solid oil/engine temps, even on 100 degree+ days
    -Several new coolant hoses
    -New CV boots
    -Valve guides replaced
    -A/C blows ice cold
    -Headers replaced
    -Has high flow cats, Hyperflows if I recall
    -Passed emissions and safety inspection in VA until 8/2015
    -Have the original manual and binding
    -Have original toolbox
    -Includes tonneau cover in pretty good shape
    -Includes indoor Ferrari cover in red
    -Challenge grill
    -Thick stack of maintenance records (will scan them to digital format soon)

Since hoses and belt tensioner were already replaced, the major service should be cheaper than a typical one.

Car was serviced at Comptezione for tensioner, hoses, and tuning. Josh at ECS replaced the clutch and CV boots.

Right now it has a custom exhaust on it, which are basically straight pipes right out of the cats. The secondary pipes were also removed in the process. It is insanely loud, and generates a CEL due to the computer being confused that the valve (which is no longer present) appears to be stuck open. I still have the stock exhaust and all the parts, and *may* throw it back on in the future. Either way, if it sells the stock exhaust will come with the car. The airboxes have reflect-a-gold applied to them and a layer of heat shielding to protect against the custom exhaust.

NO TRADES.

Obviously, compared to what most of the people are requesting on this forum, and what typically sells, this is probably a "ratty" 355, not a "pristine example" or "garage queen" you would expect to be posted here. But since I'm getting desperate, I am giving this place a try.

Fancy pictures I took are attached, will post problem area pictures soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Updated pics?

3. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    #3 st4rk, Feb 9, 2015
  4. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
  5. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
  6. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    #6 st4rk, Feb 9, 2015
  7. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    Sorry for the slightly crappy pics. It's cold outside, it's overcast, so I took these inside the garage with flash. I didn't feel like boosting the car to pull it outside on such a crappy day to take pics. But hopefully these give people a better idea.

8. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
  9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I remember seeing this car at Katies.

You've gotta show a picture of the engine bay.

10. nsx2F355

nsx2F355 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2013
    SLC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I appreciate someone being straight forward on issues. Doesn't happen often. GLWS.

11. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    yeah, I too liked the fact that he was honest. Definitely someone I would buy from.

12. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    Yeah, definitely forgot to snap a shot. I also should mention the intake resonator was removed and the hole was capped. I should still have that plastic piece of junk...er box, sitting around somewhere...

Thanks guys.

Once the weather gets nicer and I actually have time on my hands, I plan on putting the stock exhaust back on. Should be a fun adventure.

13. ferraridreamer32

May 3, 2014
    Arent you the guy on youtube, giving 355 advice?
    I believe you said any 355, under 50k, has major issues, and advised, spending 60+k to get a nice one.
    Looks like it could be a nice car with some TLC.
    Have you priced the service, with anyone locally?

Good luck on the sale.

14. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Paint chips, curb rash...shame on the OP for actually driving this car! The $$s are right on this one. Also, this one is ready for somebody who wants one of these to actually have some fun in (after waiting for the proper oil temp ha ha). Get a compression test, buy it, drive it hard and forget about the horn. The horns sound ridiculous on all these cars anyways!

15. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Thanks for being upfront on the minor issues, I also like someone who just tells you like it is and no BS .... ;)
    Convertable top, take it to a convertable or restoration shop. They can glue a 2" by however long the rip is in the same material on the inside with some fancy white glue.
    It will not be as noticeable, maybe 4" wide (looked at the pic again) and might cost you $50. Yes it will still need to be fixed some day, but $50 today is cheap and will look a LOT better, that way the new owner can address that issue later for $1000s if he/she wishes.

16. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    If it was him, then I am sure he said it to avoid being scammed by the dishonest sellers our there who price their cars low not telling you the problems.

He priced his car low BUT told us EVERYTHING that the car needs to have fixed. So whoever is interested can think about the costs and then make an agreement.

17. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    Not been priced yet. I vaguely remember Competizione mentioning somewhere around $6k. But since I already have a bunch of hoses, cv boots, belt tensioner replaced, shouldn't be that much. In theory...

Unfortunately here in VA, safety inspection requires a working horn. That's why I mention it, otherwise I wouldn't care myself. And in my defense, the curb rash was from the previous owner ;)

Agree. I don't see a point in replacing the entire top if it's just an easy patch job. For me, as long as the car runs strong little stuff like horns and patches don't bother me, this thing will never see a concourse :)

18. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    Weekend update:

Forgot to mention the hood/bonnet/trunk lid/etc both have worn hydraulics. It's been like this since I owned it, but I always propped the lid with something. But someone might want to keep in mind they don't stay up on their own.

Gave it an Italian tune-up on Sunday. Several 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear pulls to redline. Pulled strong, no smoke, no leaks or drips in the garage after parking. Every time I think about taking the straight pipes off, a drive usually convinces me to keep them on, ha.

Headlight motors still work too, that was nice to see. Oil/pressure fine, all temps fine. It was rather cold yesterday so the tranny is a bit stubborn until the car warms up, other wise no grinding or shifting issues.

19. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    bump for a nice car and a straight forward seller - hope it finds a good home and both parties end up happy.

20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I think everyone needs to see current pictures of the car. Kudos to the seller for the disclosures.

You really should post a picture of the engine bay.

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sticky interior issues are no biggie, easy fix for new owner if they want to send the stuff to us.

22. snowmann

snowmann Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    Agree with everyone else. This car is probably in the same condition as most others for sale, but it's nice to have a honest seller for once. I would rather buy from you if I was in the market. GLWS

23. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
  24. PorscheC2S

PorscheC2S Rookie

Feb 9, 2015
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did you publish a video on the misconceptions of owning a 355? It was terrific..