my 1987 Ferrari 412GT manual looks for caring trustee | FerrariChat

my 1987 Ferrari 412GT manual looks for caring trustee

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #1 intrepidcva11, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1987 412GT ser #74099; blu chiaro/beige. 37,510 km/approx 23,400miles, 5-speed manual. Owned since 2007. Car is well-known in Ferrari Club of America, New England Region. Best in Show 2+2 at Cavallino Classic and several platinum awards at FCA National Meets. The 412 is the last Ferrari with the final version of Ferrari's legendary Colombo 60 degree V-12 Ferrari engine and one of Ferrari's and Pininfarina's finest designs ever.

Noted English automotive journalist L.J.K. Setright described the 365/400/412 series: “…...one of the few most beautiful, and one of the two most elegant bodies ever to leave the lead of Pininfarina’s pencilling vision...…for those who desire the character and cachet of a Ferrari in a four-seat saloon of classical concept and modern capability.......equally amenable to power-sliding round a hairpin, power-drifting through an open bend, or idling in air-conditioned ease through the hours of a London day.” Peter Stevens, chief designer at Lotus, called the series "the most beautiful production car of all time".

Total 412 production was 576 units. The 412 factory brochure describes the automatic transmission as standard and refers to the manual transmission: "on request 5-speed mechanic gear box", thus special order. It is said that 70% were furnished with the GM automatic truck transmission. Thus only about 170 5-speed 412's were produced and since the 412 was not U.S.-homologated only a handful of 'grey market' 5-speed manual cars were brought to the U.S. making it exceedingly rare here. Car is in outstanding condition with full service by John Tirrell's Independent Ferrari Service, new factory exhaust system installed and two new Michelin TRX tires to front wheels, rear with fewer than 2,000 miles. I have tools though not the full original tool kit. Cavallino Classic 'Best-in-show 2+2' trophy, original 412 factory brochure, owner's manual in CD form and a large framed photo-poster that is the center-fold photo in the factory brochure. All stay with the car. Last two photos are from Saratoga Automobile Museum's Fall Ferrari Festival road rally/tour. $97,500.US.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    That is a wonderful color combination and options as well; Good luck with the sale 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You love that thing! I didn't think I'd see the day...and good luck with the sale.

4. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    wonderful looking car! all the best

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You should post to the classifieds though...not sure ads can go in the regular forums. Uhh, nevermind. I see that you did! Again, good luck with the sale.

6. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    was car ever registered in California?

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Beautiful example.

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Moved to Classifieds and left 1-week redirect.

Then saw that there was an identical thread in Classifieds... so merged with existing thread.

9. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
  10. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Amazing machine, I always had a soft spot (still do) for these amazing cars!

11. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Beautiful car - GLWTS!

12. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    That is one beautiful car Don Seth!.....and that is how we came to know each other....by my inquiry into possibly purchasing your car back in 2006 or 2007.
    I am glad you still own this gorgeous example of a 412.

13. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Si, Don Domenico! Grazie!

14. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Beautiful car and stunning color combination

15. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
  16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    no Klaus, always east coast; I've had contact with first U.S. owner after its import - Carolinas - and next owner - Massachusetts - from whom I bought via a Viper dealer who took it in trade on a 550 Maranello.

17. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    That's a beautiful car, congratulations!! My first Ferrari was a Rosso Nearco/Black 400i, also with 5 speed. I spent almost as much money as the car was worth putting on a set of Tubis from headers back. Expensive, but the sound was fantastic. Got me hooked on V12 ferraris.

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    she will be going to a serious tifoso in the Midwest as soon as Intercity can arrange to collect her. A car I shall well and truly miss but it is time.

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    She is going to a serious tifoso in the midwest. I shall miss her but it was time. Just thinking that my 412 will probably be the last manual transmission car I'll ever own.

20. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Can this car be registered in Cali?

21. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I was the first owner of this beauty and it was my favorite of the seven Ferraris that I have owned. The 412 stick shift is a totally different car than the automatic. A perfect GT car. Good luck with the sale - I wish I could buy it again.
    Bob

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Bob, I wish you could as well; would have been wonderful having her come full circle. Of course you are correct, the 5-speeds are splendid GT cars. While the automatics are fine on the Interstates/autostradas they are simply slugs in the twisties. But we've had these discussions on many other threads. P.S. have fun in the Virgins!

Mike, I have no idea about California. What are your regs on 28 year-old cars? New York inspections are limited to safety matters, no more emissions tests after 25 years. In any event, as to this car it's irrelevant since it has gone into the hands of a serious long-term collector

23. GarganoEnzo

GarganoEnzo Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    NY/LA
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    Great car but how is it worth double the market value for a condition one?

24. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    Because the market moves faster than whatever value guide you're using. Plus, that's what someone paid for it. OP says it's sold.

25. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A wonderful V12 Ferrari, that in recent times has finally got the attention it deserves. Great color combo. Has it been sold yet?

Kind regards,

Nuno.