1964 330 GT 2+2 Series 1 | FerrariChat

1964 330 GT 2+2 Series 1

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by pnorell, Jun 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 pnorell, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Enzo Ferrari himself declared the Series 1 330 GT as his favorite and his regular driver. John Lennon’s first car was a similar azzurro metallizzato/blue metallic Series 1 with which he passed his driving test in England. With only approximately 500 Series 1 produced and many scrapped for parts, this is a rare opportunity to own a highly sought after original 60s era V12 Ferrari. The 330 GT was introduced as a replacement for the 250 GTE, which had been Ferrari's first series production model to offer a four-seat cockpit arrangement. Produced alongside the sultry 275 GTB and the exclusive 500 Superfast; the 330 GT was designed as a more comfortable and less demanding vehicle to drive. The quad headlights are a distinct feature only found on the Series 1.

This stunning certified matching number 1964 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series 1 is one of the finest examples in the US. This particular example comes with Azzurro Metallizzato/Blue exterior and Nero/Black leather interior with blue inserts. As beautiful as she is, she starts, drives, and holds compression through all gears, with that magnificent Colombo V12 sound.

This Pininfarina designed Ferrari was job #210 out of Ferrari SpA, Maranello, Italy, in 1964. It was delivered first to Switzerland and subsequently bought by two Englishmen who held it in Rhodesia and Zimbabwe until 1988. By then it had covered 41,756 miles. It was then imported to Australia where it was held until 2013. In 2013, it was verified by the famed Ferrari historian Tony Willis of Maranello Concessionaires Archive as having matching chassis, engine, gearbox, and axle – the same way it left the factory. Prior to being brought to the US, this 330 was briefly in the United Kingdom. Today it has just over 50,000 original miles – a rare feat for a car over 50 years old. It has had just four (4) owners from new.

This example received recent paint work as well as a complete redo of the undercarriage - which revealed proper stamped and matching panels throughout. The 330 was seen this weekend at the Huntington Beach Concours and is currently located in Orange County, California.

Accompanying the car is a unique chassis file which includes:

• Correct Factory Service Hand Book/Work Shop Manual
    • Original Spare Parts Catalogue
    • Correct and Matching Tool Roll with Tools
    • Leather Owner's Pouch
    • Certification from Maranello Concessionaires Archive

Please inquire herein for additional information and price or Pete Norell at [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Beautiful car! Good luck with the sale.

And to answer the first question that everyone will post up (other than price): Yes, this is s/n 6077.

TJsBeer likes this.
  3. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Beautifull omg.

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    That thing is gorgeous!!!

5. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    What a beautiful piece ..... gorgeous !!!!

6. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
  7. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Stunning!

8. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I always loved them, in particular the first series (Chinese eyes). Already at times when nobody really wanted them because of the four seats and good ones were obtainable at 50 grand or even less. Long past times :D.

Good luck with the sale for this beautiful car in particular having a paint color, which (I believe) suits this car best.

9. mojoman

mojoman Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    This car reminds me of another for sale at a NY City area dealer some years ago. Looks like the clutch/brake pedals are suspended (Ser. 1.5?). Someone will enjoy this Gt. Mjr

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Stunning....

GLWS!!

11. 250PF

250PF Rookie

Oct 16, 2010
    Nice car, having owned two I'll offer a couple of comments. First, has anyone ever seen one that did not have matching numbers? Now that would be a first!

Second, S 1 cars have the advantage of having the 4 point engine mts - way more vibration into the cabin, but the S 2 has the 3 point system that causes an even worse drive train judder that 's really tough to fix. With the S 2 at least you get the 5 speed box instead of the 4 speed OD, although that really works OK. S2 styling is arguably better, but I like the crazy 4 headlight set up, that was the original design after all, the 2 headlight just was a marketing fix so it would "look like a Ferrari".

All these cars have the torquey 4 liter motor that is much better made than the earlier 250 - just look at the quality of the castings some time. Built for endurance racing and nearly indestructible, just don't ever, ever, take it over 7000 RPM or plan on dropped valves. They are heavy and a bit of a truck to drive, but remember they're a GT not a sports car.

But frankly, save your $ and buy a 365 GT 2+2 instead - infinitely better car in every way! Well worth the price difference. Used to be you could hardly give a 4 headlight 330 away - that was for very good reasons. Not all Ferraris are "great cars". These were always the "bottom of the heap" in the Enzo Ferrari pecking order and that ain't going to change any time soon.

12. 250PF

250PF Rookie

Oct 16, 2010
    Oh and the tool kit looks suspect, which is typical. Not sure about the screwdrivers, also the 330 jack should be yellow, 250 jacks were blue.

The 330 Register has a great post on correct 330 tool kits.

13. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    This car has had quite a deal of work on since I last saw it in Queensland,about 3 years ago.

Incredible story of how this car(and his other one's)came out of Africa.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sarcasm? Not sure. Just in case, here are a few that I know of with non-matching motors:

- 5483 has motor #6519.
    - 5887 has motor #6261.
    - 5935 has motor #6411.
    - 5621 had motor #6187 for quite some time, and...
    - 6187 had motor #5621 for quite some time. These two were finally swapped back.
    - When our own Tom Shaughnessy owned 7025, it had motor #5579 (has since been reunited with its original motor).
    - 6745 has motor #6409 (but restamped as "130359" for some reason).
    - 6747 had motor #7709. That motor was sold and it now has motor #6825.
    - 6981 had motor #7369 at one point. Now it has no motor at all as far as I know.
    - 7507 has motor #6801.
    - 7709 had motor #6759. I don't know where the original ended up after leaving 6747 (above), so maybe they have since been reunited?
    - 10019 has motor #10289 (from a GTC!).

15. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I really appreciate the feedback. I was asked by a FerrariChat member to post here first before going to the public websites for classics to give its members the first opportunity to see the car. I was surprised to see a member be so critical of the make of the car and provide a suggestion to buy a different Ferrari - and the provide incorrect information.

16. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    looks fabulous in medium blue metallic; original paint?

17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    #17 simon klein, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Original colour,not the same paint on from the factory.

Hmm,actually looking at it more closely,when I knew the car,it was more gunmetal in colour.
    I don't know if that was because of the condition of the paint though.

18. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Interestingly,the other car mentioned by the critisizer,the 'Queen',was the only other car I looked at when I wanted an Enzo era car.
    I had my Fiat era car,365 GT4 2+2,so therefore had all the attributes of modernity,power steer,aircon etc.
    I found,compared to my 330,the queen,a ponderous,lurching old bucket.
    To qualify that statement,though,my 330 suspension had been doctored to provide a great transition from track to road,by the bloke I purchased from.

The queen was too much like my GT4(without the lurching!) to warrant it's purchase,it also started to have Fiat influences as well,which was the point of going to the 330.

19. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Not to step on anyone's toes but I don't think it is nice to get on someone's "for sale" thread and bash their car. 250 PF, I for one appreciate one's input on a car especially if they have owned a few in the past, and although you are entitled to your opinion and have every right to share your thoughts on a public forum, I would think this specific subject should be posted in "Model Specific" section were you can discuss why YOU think SOMEONE else should buy or not buy a specific car based on YOUR opinion. Telling people basically this car is a POS on the very same for sale thread is not gentlemanly like. But what do I know. I just discussed a topic in a for sale thread where it doesn't belong!
    To the OP: Beautiful car and GLWTS.

20. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Just to bounce in here,before this turns into a S#$tfight,250 PF did not bag the actual car for sale,just the 4 headlight model in general.

21. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Wouldn't that be the same thing? My intention was not to start anything. Just pointing out the obvious. But here I go again discussing it on a for sale thread. My apologies to the OP for derailing this. Everyone carry on and have a nice day...

22. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    much better! :)

23. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I can say my dream car for last 20+ years was 330 2+2 4HL-Interim. I wanted hanging pedals and the 5 speed gearbox. When I thought I was close to making dream come true in Fall 2012, i travelled to look at a 330 being offered and the dealership also had a 365QM. Back then, drivers were about $95k-$120k for each of them. I couldnt decide because sales-guy pointed out great qualities about owning each. Came home thinking about it and called a couple of days later to offer on 330, but both had sold. Then, the market took off and hasnt stopped since, pricing out of my reach. I learned a couple of things that weekend in 2012: (1) shouldve stuck to the dream; and (2) the old saying about drive them before you buy them, isnt true any more. Too many people are buying to flip or stash in a garage so these beautiful cars dont stay available long enough to travel across a country or half-way up a coast to test drive any more. I wanted a driver to spend fun time with new born in a coachbuilt la macchina!

Your car is beautiful. Remember, it is somebodies dreamcar. (I do require italian gauges to help entertain my italian wife when she is the piloti.)

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Interim 330GT and early series 2 cars have hanging pedals and four mount engines on the plus side and steel floors (think rust) as opposed to fiberglas as a negative. While I have a series 2 in similar colors, I've actually always preferred the series 1 body style. Great cars! This one looks really nice!

To 250pf, have you actually owned each or are you just pontificating out of books and stats? A 330GT is a much rawer, tighter and more fun car to drive. Very much old school Ferrari chassis configuration. The queen is more of a great and elegant cruiser.

Regards,

Art S.

25. Myplashbrian

Myplashbrian Rookie

Mar 25, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I saw this car in person this past weekend and it is beautiful and well taken care of, and an amazing find. I am shocked at the member talking bad about such a wonderful and what I feel is an under valued Car and one that will for sure double in value. I remember when people talked bad about the F40 and prices were $250K for one..... I snatched one up and now look how much you have to pay for one.

Bottom line...this car is not for everyone...just for the one person who sees the beauty of the car, it makes them happy when their behind the wheel and person that has the vision to bet on the future when others keep their hands tucked deep in their pockets playing with the lint in them.

Great car.....I'm still interested so maybe I'm that guy.