1987 Ferrari 328 GTB Red/Tan, 25,272 miles, great condition | FerrariChat

1987 Ferrari 328 GTB Red/Tan, 25,272 miles, great condition

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by greg328, Jun 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #1 greg328, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After careful consideration, I'm placing my beloved 1987 Ferrari 328 GTB for sale. Rossa Corsa, tan interior, most popular color combo. #73367. Car currently has 25,272 miles. Car appears practically as new. Exterior and interior are in exceptional condition.

I purchased the car in late 2011 with 23,xxx miles, so I've only driven it about 2,000 miles in the 3.5 years I've owned it. In that time, I've had important services and improvements performed. New fuel pump and fuel accumulator (both Bosch OEM), all new fuel hose, new distributor caps, new coil modules, new drive belts, Sanden rotary AC compressor running R134, new AC hoses running to new drier and expansion valve, blows COLD! Modern Alpine CD AM/FM, new Alpine door speakers, new, better headlamps, new antenna, new floor mats. Sphere Motors in Houston performed a full belt and valve adjust service about 2 years ago, car driven sparingly since then, about 500 miles I think. New coolant and and oil changed twice under my ownership. I've removed the catalytic converter and am currently running a straight pipe to the exhaust. Runs great, sounds great! I do have the original catalytic convertor; it will go with the car. Car starts on first crank and pulls very smoothly to redline. I previously owned a 77 308 carb car, and compared to that raw beast, the 328 engine is Lexus smooth, as is the ride quality, much more livable car!

Exterior: paint is unbelievably great; a paint meter shows factory thickness all around except in front, where it's a bit thicker. I suspect the front had been resprayed to clean up stone chips. Front lenses are all perfect. Front end paint is indistinguishable from factory. This should not be a penalty, wouldn't you rather have a perfect-looking car than one with stone chips? :) All glass is perfect, window trim is perfect, I replaced the fuel filler lid hinges (big job!)because they broke, but now the lid closes perfectly, with strong new hinges. All 4 wheels are beautiful, no curb rash or bends, Goodyear tires have lots of tread. Rear lenses are perfect, no cracks, lens gaskets are in great shape. Rear exhaust shroud and exhaust appear as new. Both front and rear bumpers are perfect. Complete tool roll, complete jack roll, complete books and lots of records, 2 keys plus 2 Mirage alarm/door lock remotes (works great!).

Interior: again, exceptional condition, leather looks practically new, a bit of light normal wear evident on left driver side bolster, but really no leather wear evident elsewhere. Dash is perfect, 3 dash vents are perfect and functional. I have a Dashmat on top of the dash to protect it. (car is always garaged so no sun damage under my watch, or before, apparently!).
    Console looks great, all buttons functional, center dash dials all look great and work fine. Clock keeps great time actually! :) All interior cloth at rear and roof of cabin appear as new. Stereo sounds great, but I rarely used it, for obvious reasons. Door interiors and armrests show no wear. Ultimate Pedals aluminum pedal covers installed by myself, looks great!

In a nutshell, this car is really fantastic, so it's been a struggle deciding to sell. It's so nice, that I don't want to drive it and risk damage because of current market values. I've viewed many 308/328 cars in my years as a Ferrari fanatic, and this one honestly is super exceptional. I think it looks/drives like a sub-10,000 mile car.

There were roughly 130 328 GTBs imported into the USA during its 4-year model run. VERY rare car, much more so that its GTS counterpart. I love GTSs but I'm tall and found that I can only fit in GTBs with their added interior headroom, so that's why I've always owned GTBs. Also, GTBs drive better with less body flex and superior handling. The design is stunning and timeless, and will only continue to increase in value. A great investment for any collector, especially in this color combination.

Price is firm at $199,900. I would consider a partial trade of a 360 coupe red/tan 3 pedal stick (no F1) car plus cash. If the car does not sell at this price, I'll keep it and follow the market into the future. I'm not a desperate seller, but would be satisfied at this price, or a suitable trade plus cash. Car is currently under a cover on a Battery Tender, and driven twice a month for a short distance.
    Car and seller are in Houston, TX, USA.

I have 49 photos, will post several here. I can email all of them to a potential buyer if you'll PM me with your email address.

At this time I am only posting this car here on Ferrarichat, as I'd MUCH rather this car go to an enthusiast active on the site.

Thanks,
    Greg Giacona
    Houston TX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Greg, as I have stated here many times, my biggest mistake in my car collecting was selling my 328 GTB. Yours is certainly a beautiful example and I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, are very interested. Would you be kind enough as to post the whole VIN so that it would be possible to run a CarFax on the car to see where it's been in its life and if it has any accident history? I'm sure that the front end is just a repaint for stone chips as you said but it's always proper due diligence to make sure. Thank you!

3. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Great car. GLWS

4. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Wow, what a beauty! Good luck with the sale...someone will be lucky to own it.

5. MarketGuy

MarketGuy Karting

Oct 19, 2011
    Entire VIN is visible in the last shot of the engine bay.

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    VIN is ZFFXA19A8H0073367

Forgot to look at my own Carfax. It shows accident late 2008, before I took ownership in late 2011. I can only assume it involved a minor front-end incident. Paint meter shows uniform factory paint thickness all around the body, except the extreme front end. The front end looks factory new, so the job was well-done. Not one stone chip, lenses are perfect. With this in mind, I'll reduce price to $194,900.

I forgot to mention, I installed new flywheel sensors as well, I believe there were two.
    I hold the clear Texas title.

I also have several spares to include with sale, including several Baldwin old filters, new distributor cap, new spark plugs, new Verell CIS fuel line kit, etc...

As I remember more features of the car, I'll post here.

Greg Giacona

7. lmcmahon

lmcmahon Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Gorgeous car! Looks incredible in GTB form. Best of luck!

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This car appears and drives as new. I'm not interested in a huge price reduction because of an accident report of unknown seriousness. It could have been a minor front bumper tap, which is why the previous owner had the front re-done to perfection. Again, paint meter shows factory thickness all around except the extreme front end.

Its rarity and condition speaks for itself.

Another mention: during the recent major, Sphere installed new gaskets on valve covers and oil pan; car is dry on bottom and drip-free, rare for these cars!
    Greg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

9. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Owned since '11 and just now looking at the Carfax? Hmmmm. You made it a point to say front end was painted for rock chips. If the issue is minor, just be upfront about it. It will come out in the wash one way or another and save people a lot of time.

Looks like a very nice car overall. Good luck with the sale.

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    When I bought the car, I did not check carfax. I was thrilled to find a red/tan 328 GTB not far from me. I checked it carefully, drove it, fell in love and purchased it. Last fall I considered selling it so I had the paint thickness checked, it showed as I've said, factory paint everywhere except extreme front end. Front re-sprays are common on these cars so I didn't think much about it at the time. A few months later I checked carfax and it showed one line item as an incident, but the wording was unclear. It could have been a listing for the front end paint work done. Again I figured re-spray. This morning I pulled carfax again and this one shows accident. Different wording for some reason.

Nothing is being concealed, I revealed in my second post this new finding. But, again, whatever it was was apparently minor as the car shows unbelievably well. Only a paint meter would reveal the work done.

This car looks and drives first rate. The new owner will be extremely pleased! :)

Greg

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Why settle for a 360, seems at that price you could trade for a 458, SCUD, or CS. GLWS.

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I know, but I have a baby on the way and the cash would be useful very soon! A 430 or 458 is tempting though!

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Interesting about the paint reading. Also interesting that now it was in an accident. What would the paint thickness be if all those panels were replaced and not simply repainted? It would look slightly thicker than factory while being consistent and even, right?

Two years ago, I looked at a 308 with a repainted hood and it was really inconsistent in the readings but looked nice. The restorer said the only way that it would be truly consistent and even is if they started out with clean new metal and not repaired metal. I think I would rather have fresh new metal over repaired, for sure, although that usually begs the question as to why it was replaced.

14. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Car looks sweet

15. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg

Just a note, kids are more expensive than a Ferrari (trust my on that). They are like having a belt change every month or so. Good luck with the sale and family. :)

16. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Steve,
    Sherpa,
    I am only guessing, but I think the plastic bumper might have been repaired and then paint was applied and blended rearward a bit. It is absolutely undetectable, anybody is welcome to come and inspect the car--it appears as I have presented. The front fog lamp glass lenses and blinker lenses look brand new; they may be.

If I remember correctly, the Carfax I checked a few years ago said something like "paint work done" or "bodywork done", I don't remember now. That's why I didn't automatically assume "accident". The current Carfax does show "accident" now, but I don't know how reliable these records are, if they can change like this. Something was done to the front, that is obvious from the paint readings, but I imagine many if not most of these cars would show similar results if put to a paint meter, if the car was driven at all. They are low and pick up stones. As the car sits now, the front end is perfect. I have Griot's Garage clear stone guard film over the fog lamps, as I know these are no longer available OEM.

For heaven's sake, this car is 28 years old, and it looks practically new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car if I was the next buyer, just based on condition, appearance, rarity and service records.

Did I mention the car comes with a Beverly Hills car cover, and I have a Battery Tender pigtail on the new Optima RedTop battery? There's also a convenient battery master on/off switch mounted to the front of the spare wheel cradle. I'm sure I'll think of other things to add later.

This was my dream car since high school. It still is. No other car on the road can match its beauty, in my opinion. It's just time to let her go. My wife is actually advising me NOT to sell, can you believe that? LOL!

Greg

17. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Funny, and I'm sure I'll find this to be true!!

Greg

18. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Hi Greg, have you also listed your GTB any where else like, Ferrari market letter, classic cars, DuPont registry, Hemmings, and other avenues .......... GLWS

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    No, not yet. Giving Ferrarichatters first dibs. If it doesn't sell in a couple weeks I'll probably try other avenues.
    Greg

20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    so that carfax has an accident notation on it ?

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yes, but please read above for explanation.

Greg

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I don't want to belabor this point, but just because Carfax says "accident", it doesn't necessarily mean the car was seriously injured. The paint meter showed factory paint everywhere on the car except the extreme front end. This indicates that only the front end was resprayed and blended into the coachwork rearward. It is absolutely invisible work, only measurable with a paint meter. No orange peel, no masking lines. This car appears factory painted, everywhere. It appears in outstanding condition. See the pictures. Come see the car in person.

By the way, if your 308/328 has not had the front end resprayed by now, it's going to look extremely stone-chipped, unless it's a museum piece! :)

I will not heavily discount the car because of the above. I will consider serious offers, but I'm not desperate to sell. I'll gladly hold the car, forever, possibly. The main motivation for my selling is: A) the current value, and B) I'm a large guy, 6'3", 230lbs,and would fit better in a 360. However, amazingly, I can fit in the 328 GTB just fine, with no head rubbing, because of the GTB's arched roofline. Of course, the bonus with 328 GTBs is that they are extremely rare in the US, and will only continue to rise. And they drive great!

I just wanted to chime in here one last time to explain that this car is exceptional. A serious potential buyer/collector would be doing him/herself a disservice by dismissing this car because of one entry on a Carfax.

OK, back to our normal programming! :)

Greg Giacona

23. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    My brother took his Audi A5 in for service about six months ago. One of the kids backed a car into his car's front end at about 2 MPH. All it did was crack the paint on the plastic front bumper. No big deal. The dealer fixed it. I ran his car fax the other day, and sure enough, it says his car had an accident with front end damage. IMHO, car fax is relied on way too heavily. His A5 did NOT have a front end collision, just a tap on the plastic bumper. Just ridiculous. BTW, beautiful car. If I didn't have one already, I'd be writing you a check right now. GLWS.

24. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thank you bullitt.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

25. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have you tried AutoCheck and some of the other reporting services to see what they say?