1981 512 BBi with aprox 1600 miles | FerrariChat

1981 512 BBi with aprox 1600 miles

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by geno berns, Jul 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
  2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Geno,

this is a tremendous car. it most likely belongs in one of the prestigious Monterey auctions to derive its true value! a non-duplicable car!!!! good luck with the sale Geno!!

3. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    This will be amazing to see where the market thinks the value of this car is -- although not sure if eBay is the proper venue to see the market.

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Pete thank you!

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree with both.

I hope you get good money but I think you would be better off at one of the good auctions.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 msdesignltd, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Just my Opinion...

My Market analysis...tells me at this exact moment in time...A lot of people have been scared off by the recent events and such a rapid escalation of all vintage ferrari's in general..

EVERY one appears to be taking a breather..The peak has past..anyone that might have bought it 6 to 10 months ago...for a record price...has wised up with and caught on to the modus operandi that became common practice to owners and sellers..

If you can....Keep that reserve high..
    10 months ago, someone might have paid close to $450,000.00 or more..
    Today, I fear to say bidders will not exceed $400 g's

I think a better time to sell...will be after the Election...which is not so far off..
    either way...GLWS

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not sure I agree with this. I still see a lot of strong cars trading; dogs - not so much. Go find another 1,600 KM BBI. This car should get north of $450K all day long in the right venue.

8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, Jul 8, 2015
    An 84 5000 series ID # Boxer with equal mileage will possibly do $450,000.00 today

We must all remember...every seller is asking 15 to 25 % more than what market is ...Still..
    Show me a comp on these..As of June 15' The party is out on hiatus...But not for long!!!

9. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I agree with Michael, the market has slowed a bit for the most part. I hear it from one classic car dealer that does a lot of volume and knows the market better than most. Monterey may spark it or it may be flat with cars selling only if they are priced right with out achieving world records (super rare cars excluded). But than if the stock market starts to worry folks maybe more investor type owners may start moving even more of their funds into collector cars. I prefer that not to happen, but it may...

But Chris is also right, I just don't feel like taking the car to the auction at this time. I might in the future if it don't sell.

Geno

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I personally saw these comps and I can tell you that they are nowhere near the condition of a 1,600 mile car, despite what the descriptions say:

1980 Ferrari 512 BB | Amelia Island 2015 | RM Sotheby's

This car was tired and probably needed another $50K into it:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22530/lot/111/

I also know of 3 other BBIs sold in the last 60 days that when factoring service and other work needed to get to a fully sorted 2 condition car would put their all in cost between $360-385K

Ferrari of Newport Beach also recently sold one - their ask was $399,900, but I don't know the sale price.

Cars are not moving at the blazing speed they were in 2014, but I still see a lot of strong cars selling.

11. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In general carbed cars belong to the 70's
    The market can be 30 to 50 % greater for a carbed boxer

The injected cars belong to the 80's

Buyers consider these 2 to be apples and oranges.
    Do not confuse sale prices of either to be comps
    Just my opinion

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I know only of a two ultra low mileage BBis that traded in the last 24 months and all brought more than I want for my car. One at an Auction and one I can't recall. I was asking $495K for the car, but no one stepped up at that price point. I brought the price substantially down so it can sell as I have another car I want to act on. The next owner will need to spend money on a major. I was going to have it done but figured on a car like this the next owner may want their own people to work on it close to where they live. It's not going to be easy to find a car like this again...

Geno

13. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry Michael, but you're way off on this. I don't know if you follow the Boxer market at all. I happen to follow it closely and don't see a mentionable difference between BB and BBI values. The 3 other cars I mentioned and the car at Ferrari of Newport were all BBIs.

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Geno
    I have a suggestion when you have a fish on the hook.
    Ask the buyer if he wouldnt mind buying your car from a dealer
    You must have confidence in your dealer , most will agree with this.
    Have on paper your dealer buy your car from you and prepare to buy the car you now want.
    On paper this is a trade in.
    You can allow your car to go for less than you desire as you will be responsible for less tax on the car you want to aquire.
    This can add up to $40,000 in allowances in your price range.
    You may also offer the dealer an incentive to accomplish this for you.
    Not illegal, just a loophole.
    I have been in this position and I know how anxious one can get when a countach becomes your fancy.
    Or whatever car!!!

Just another opinion!

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

moved to $200k pretty quickly. I suspect it will next eclipse $300k. I would think a dealer would stand to make a fair chunk of change if they could get this car in the 300 range and if they had a good client rolodex. this car will trade hands in the near future for a number w/ a 4 handle.

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 msdesignltd, Jul 8, 2015

17. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Thank you. I appreciate the advise...

Geno
    PS I currently have 3 Countaches, no more Countaches for me!

18. bikerider

bikerider Karting

Feb 19, 2012
    Maryland
    photos could be better - needs more close ups

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Good luck. Car looks great.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am interested to see what the grigio car sells for.
    Its true thta in the past there was a significant delta between a BB and BBI but lately the price difference on what appear to be similar cond cars has been minimal if at all.. A 365 though is a different kettle of fish.

Imo the classic market has shall we say flattened. In reality scaningn dealer inventories shows that cars are sitting with dealer slowly lowering prices every month to find the bite point. Whatever anyones longer term opnion, other than really rare and exceptional cars or auction anomolies, the market is unlikely to be setting records this summer and we could see a 10-15% correction where sales actualy take place.

The good news is that boxers have firmly moved into the classic cars are art category.

22. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

IIRC, Initially listed over 400k (425-ish) with a reduction to 395.
    Jack

23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Ask was $495k (clearly too aggressive) and then dropped to $395k about a week after listing.

24. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Good luck with sale , Geno ....