1979 Ferrari 308 GTS | FerrariChat

1979 Ferrari 308 GTS

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by GD2013, Aug 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    For sale is a 1979 Ferrari 308 GTS.

It has 33,000 miles on it (subject to increase slightly as it is driven).

Price: $90,000

The 308 is located in Arlington, VA and is available for inspection prior to sale. It is Classic Rosso Corsa Red with tan interior. This is one of the early carb'ed engines, with the mighty Webers!

I have owned the car for 2 years and have always taken great care of it and it has never been driven hard in my ownership. The previous owner had it for 10+ years, and provided me with details regarding his maintenance regime. (Those documents will be provided with the car upon sale.)

He was an older gentleman in his late 60s who could no longer bend down to enter/exit the car and so decided to sell it. He had regularly done the oil changes, added iridium plugs, rebuilt the carbs, and maintained the Marelli ignition! He had disconnected the A/C – the parts are included with the sale. I have made no changes to the car – other than oil changes.

Condition of the interior: The interior is in good condition for a vehicle of this age. The driver’s seat has some wear, and a 2” tear on the seat. The passenger’s seat is in excellent overall condition. The carpets are in OK condition – and are original. The dash is free of any cracks. The steering wheel is free from cracks and the leather is still in nice shape. The removable targa top headliner is in OK condition and is the original leather material. All gauge crystals are nice and the center console is in good condition. Glass is all in good condition and free of cracks. The map pocket on the driver’s side door is torn on the bottom and currently not usable – the map pocket on the passenger side door is fine.

Condition of the exterior: The paint has great shine and is in good condition. I was told by the previous owner that this was a recent re-spray of the original color. There is some cracking on one side of the car – the owner told me that the cracking was due to overspray and that the car could use a wet-sanding, buff and polish (which he had not done yet). There are a few bubbles in the usual places where minor rust has arrived on wheel wells. The tires are in good condition. The wheels are original and in good condition. Both bonnets open and close properly.

Mechanics of the car: The turn signals, parking lights and door locks work properly. Both headlamps go up and down. The low beams and brights work. The windows are slow - which is typical of a Ferrari of this vintage. The mechanics have some hesitation occasionally but there is a Birdman fuse block in place already. The aftermarket stereo sports a single CD player and is functional.

It always starts right up and drives great. Transmission shifts perfectly through all of the gears. Engine runs very smoothly and has plenty of power. It drives straight going down the road. It doesn’t pull to either side and brakes smoothly without pulling. The engine makes a beautiful sound. It revs freely and the steering is tight and true.

Please call me with any questions: Garrick Davis at 202/841-5621

Pricing note: The market for 1977-1979 carb'ed 308s is moving so fast at the moment that it was very hard to price it. Some will think I'm asking too much, no doubt. A year ago a 1979 GTS with 43k miles was priced at $76,000 and finally sold - this year, a dealer offered me that much for my car, sight unseen. So I start with the premise that the market has moved up in the last 12 months. How much exactly? I have no idea, but I've seen low mileage 308s for over $100k, and in Europe they are selling for twice as much. I will entertain reasonable offers - north of $80,000.

I will try to add more pictures in the coming days as well.

Purchase Details. Buyer agrees to pay for this vehicle in full before it and the title will be released. The funds must be clear and available before I will release the vehicle. It is the responsibility of the buyer to pick up the vehicle or to have it shipped. I can store it for a reasonable amount of time (<1 month) -- after that time, there will be a storage charge of $400/month.

The Buyer agrees to purchase this vehicle as is, where is, with no warranty expressed written or implied. No refunds or partial refunds of any kind. Please remember that this is a used vehicle and even the nicest used vehicle will show some wear including scratches, paint nicks, etc. Any current issues/repairs or any issues/repairs that may arise after the sale of this vehicle will remain the sole responsibility of the buyer. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type.

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

price is pretty fair IMO

3. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    She's a beauty! Good luck with sale!

4. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    I FORGOT TO ADD MAJOR SERVICE RECORDS:

March, 2013: The carbs were balanced and rejetted

August 2012: NGK Iridium spark plugs added

April 2012: Timing belts done/Water pump done/Hill engineering bearings added

January 2012: Valve clearances & compression checked/ cam cover gaskets replaced

May 2009: Clutch & pressure plate replaced with throw out bearing/Pilot bearing replaced/clutch cable replaced/Flywheel resurfaced

July 2007: Alternator and belts replaced

December 2006: Birdman fuse blocks added

[Over a 10-year period, from April 2005 until today, this 308 was driven approx. 6,500 miles]

5. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    bump -- price reduced to $80,000.