1983 400i Auto S/N 44699 CA BAR | FerrariChat

1983 400i Auto S/N 44699 CA BAR

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by beng, Dec 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I purchased this car as a light project earlier this year; however, we are relocating and I need to sell one of my cars (keeping the 308, 930, Model S, and Intermeccanica Italia)

There is a thread on the car when it was listed for sale previously: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/435185-sale-400i-usa.html. The comments are typically critical, as they often are 'round these parts when folks are looking at pictures from the safety of the Internet. In person, the car presents as very solid, clean and worthwhile.

Since I purchased it, the car was carefully cleaned to evaluate and address any needs. I started with the engine and transmission, which needed only a tune-up and flush, with seals replaced in the auto trans.

Here's a brief summary. Please feel free to contact me directly through email or pm with serious interest.

THE GOOD:
    +Southern California, blue-plate car, imported directly to San Diego and federalized in January 1983. Car has never been registered anywhere outside of SoCal.
    +CA BAR certification.
    +No rust.
    +Silver paint is very good and presentable, with only minor chips as might be expected of a car of this vintage.
    +46,000 miles on the odometer, supported through documents.
    +All records from importation, federalization, smog certification, etc.
    +Original owner's pouch, manual, warranty cards, dealer/service directory, sales brochures.
    +Original jack kit and hazard triangle.
    +Original trouble light and manual window crank.
    +One original set of keys.
    +Huge files of service documentation going back to new, with many thousands of dollars spent at Bobileff Motors.
    +Engine runs strong and smooth, with even compression across all cylinders. Tune up, and engine and coolant flush performed in August.
    +Transmission shifts perfectly (3-speed auto).
    +Self-leveling suspension operates as it should.
    +Tan leather interior and grey carpets are very presentable, complete and generally in decent shape for the age and miles. It does appear that someone tried to re-dye the leather but my detailer removed all the gunk (paint) and the leather is coming back nicely with rejuvenator. There are no rips or cracks but the leather is not as supple as new.
    +Black trunk carpet and black engine bay liner are original and excellent.
    +No leaks or drips from engine or transmission. Very clean underneath.
    +Electric windows operate very well. Interior cabin lights are operational, too.
    +Wheels are in excellent condition.
    +CA BAR certified (worth mentioning again)

THE NOT-SO-GOOD/BAD:
    -The bumpers are dimpled. It's not as bad in the front as in the Babelli photos but obviously the prior owner used the touchy-feely method for parking.
    -The brakes are mushy.
    -Needs new tires (TRX = approx. $500 +/- apiece).
    -There is a hole in the driver's side, rear muffler.
    -The front lenses are faded, and the right side lens is broken.
    -Crack in the rear windshield.
    -Much of the center console switches and the radio are disconnected. I have not figured out why this was done nor have I endeavored to hook it back up yet, as nothing is labeled and it is a time-consuming task to figure the puzzle out. However, as a result, the electrically-operated gas door, trunk and hood releases, the hazards, the turn signals, remote mirror controls, and fans (except for the rear passenger fans) are not working. Strangely, other electrics - like the windows, exterior lights, interior lights, ashtray light, etc. work great.
    -The car has been off the road for the past four years.
    -The headliner is starting to sag very slightly over the driver's side.
    -There is a crack in the instrument cover near the clock. Again, not nearly as bad as in the Babelli photo but it is there. Found the thumb-screw fasteners in the ash tray.
    -The switch cluster works fine but is showing wear and tear and cracks in the plastic. If I were to keep the car, I would send the switch cluster to Verell to restore (once he gets himself restored again).

I have tried to give an honest and complete description of the condition but I'm sure I have missed a few (or more) things. Obviously there is no substitute to a PPI or personal inspection. I will email pictures upon request but, truthfully, find it difficult to "manage attachments" in the posts, although i have succeeded in the past and will try to re-size the ones I have.

I am asking $38k.

2. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Pictures.

3. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #3 beng, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    More pictures

5. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #5 beng, Dec 13, 2015
  6. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #6 beng, Dec 13, 2015
  7. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #7 beng, Dec 13, 2015
  8. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Jack kit

9. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #9 beng, Dec 13, 2015
  10. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #10 beng, Dec 13, 2015
  11. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #11 beng, Dec 13, 2015
  12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    FYI, the bumpers are dimpled because they are padded/modified for US Federalization. A simple swap to original bumpers would be extremely easy to do--and they are available.

GLWS. And BTW, regarding that thread you referenced, times have changed a lot since early 2014 when many of those comments about value were made. We didn't know it then, but the market was about to get much stronger for collector cars in general and that affected the 400 as well. Again, GLWS. They look great in that color.

13. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Thanks Brian for the information about the bumpers and the well-wishes. I've owned Ferraris from three decades and it always amazes me that the soul remains the same, despite the different engines, CEOs, the Fiat influence, the us govt, etc. While each model gains recognition in its own time and in different ways, all Ferraris have the same heart.

14. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    It is not the heart. It is the lungs! Nothing sounds like a Ferrari BUT a Ferrari. My radio is still broken.

15. roddyracer

roddyracer Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    Hello...With the ca bar certification have you passed Cal. smog recently & if so is the car currently registered ? Also, are you in the San Diego area ? Lastly when was the service done you refer to of late ? thanks Rod S.

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Beautiful! GLWS for a nice car that's CA legal... I hope it gets to stay in CA. :)

Cheers!

Ruben

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm making good progress, am scheduled to begin cardiac rehab 30-DEC. I'm now back working about 1/2 time, could take your switch mid to late January. Typical turn-wround would be 2 weeks.

18. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
  19. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    UPDATE - car is still available. It's at Rathmann Auto Works in Poway that did the restoration on Klaus's beautiful white 400i.

Recent work - rebuilt brake booster and master cylinder. Flushed and replaced brake fluid. Installed new vacuum hose to booster. Repaired hazard switch, turn signal and headlight switch. Cost at $1833.81.

Needs - exhaust system, tires, rear windshield, and front lens. Right rear shock has slight leak (could be rebuilt or just live with it) and headliner over driver's side is starting to sag)

Otherwise, the car is in excellent mechanical condition with just under 46k documented miles. This car has all paperwork and records back to new and is BAR certified. The body is in amazing condition with no rust whatsoever.

I will post pics of the interior.

20. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #20 beng, Feb 15, 2016
  21. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #21 beng, Feb 15, 2016
  22. roddyracer

roddyracer Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    Hello Have replied to you before with no response..I am close to you. Would appreciate a call to discuss your car & arrange a viewing time..thanks 858-484-1111...Rod

23. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Rod,

I will give you a ring tomorrow.

If anyone wants pictures, send me an email or PM. I cannot size the photos to fit in one post. Technologically challenged user.

Regards, Ben

24. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Quick update - the car is still available. I have had a lot of interest, particularly from abroad, but nobody has closed on the car.

The exhaust is shot. Could be repaired but should be replaced. Tires need to be replaced. Brake booster and master cylinder were replaced.

If a buyer wants a great base with excellent mechanicals, body and interior, this is a great California-legal 400i with all records back to new.

Priced right for the condition and needs, in my opinion. If I replace the tires and the exhaust, obviously it will increase the purchase price.

25. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Dropping the price to $35k to sell as is.

The car is really too nice to leave CA with its BAR sticker but I don't see the point in doing the exhaust and tires unless it's staying here and so far most interest has been from out of state or abroad. This is a great opportunity to pick up a very straight, clean accident-free CA car with all books and records for a very reasonable price.