1984 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole Euro | FerrariChat

1984 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole Euro

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by M. Brandon Motorcars, Apr 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    #1 M. Brandon Motorcars, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Ferrari 308 is arguably the most iconic Ferrari ever produced, the car that introduced most people to the Ferrari brand. The luscious flowing body, penned by Leonardo Fioravanti, defines the timeless design of this classic Ferrari model. And, the wonderful 3.0 liter Ferrari V8 engine sitting right behind the driver endows the 308 with the power and sound to match its beautiful design. This engine went through three iterations throughout the 308 lifecycle, progressing from carburetors to fuel injection and ultimately to the four-valve Quattrovalvole version from 1983-1985.

The 308 produced for the US market suffered both cosmetic and mechanical disadvantages compared to its European market counterpart: it was saddled with larger and heavier bumpers and crash bracing, making the car hundreds of pounds heavier. And, the engine had performance-choking emissions controls, further decreasing the performance of the car. However, some European market 308s found their way to the US. Most of these cars had to undergo both EPA and DOT certification, where the emissions controls were added to the engine, by non-factory shops potentially using who-knows-what parts, again reducing engine performance in order to meet emissions standards of the day.

Thus, for those of us in the US, the "holy grail" of the Ferrari 308 is to find a European market car, one whose engine has not been modified from factory standards. This is one of those cars. This particular 308 was imported to the US in 1984, under a "one-time" EPA exemption where no engine modifications were performed. The engine is as it left the Ferrari factory, with its full performance intact as Enzo intended. And, while this car did have to meet DOT specifications, the only modification visible on the car is the larger side markers. The smaller "Euro" bumpers are still present, as well as all of the other parts such as the different front grille, the smaller side mirrors, and even the fully metric gauges in the dashboard. Even the speedometer is still in kilometers/hour!

As if this wasn't enough, this particular car was painted by the factory in Nero Metallico, a beautiful metallic black and an extremely rare color for a 308. In fact, some sources indicate that there were only 22 cars in the entire 308/328 production run that were painted in this color, making this an extremely special car. Photos do not do justice to the color of this car: it is truly a magnificent color, going from black to almost a dark gray depending on the lighting.

I have actually had this car in my own collection for a while. I purchased it from a good friend and fellow collector; when I went to visit him and I saw this car sitting there, I decided that I had to have it. And, I have enjoyed driving the car immensely. There really is a difference in the Euro cars; the lighter weight of the car and the more powerful engine can really be felt. The interior of the car is all original and displays a lovely patina, and the exterior paint is without flaws. The whole car just feels solid and tight; when driving it, and you can tell that this car has never been "taken apart and put back together" as so many of these cars have been.

The car does have a couple of period and highly desirable modifications: the exhaust is a Tubi, sounding wonderful and adding to the engine performance, and the springs and swaybars were modified with the period Thelier kit, further improving on the stock suspension and giving a wonderful ride quality. As often happens on these cars, the speedometer stopped working, so it was replaced; however, unlike most cars, this was fully documented, and the original speedometer is present along with the door sticker indicating the mileage at which it was replaced. The true mileage of the car is still a very low 38,223 KM, or 23,750 miles.

A comprehensive major service, including timing belts change, was just performed. In addition, common 308 issues like the shift shaft seal and driveshaft boots were addressed. In other words, this car is fully up to date on its service, and needs absolutely nothing. Full documentation of services are present throughout the car's history, further proving the mileage. And, the original EPA/DOT documentation is also present, showing the EPA one-time exemption for the car.

This is an extremely rare opportunity to acquire a very special car. This is not your "regular" 308: this is a true European-market car, without emissions controls or ungainly and heavy larger bumpers, in a beautiful and extremely rare color, fully serviced and ready for its next owner's collection. I look forward to discussing this car further with you; please contact me at [email protected] or 832-617-0494.

More pictures along with pricing can be found here: 1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Euro ? M. Brandon Motorcars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mariskovic

mariskovic Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Orlando Fla
    Full Name:
    Stanley William Mariskovic Jr
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very nice! GLWS.

4. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
  5. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    As the owner of another 84 Euro car, I hope you get every penny of your asking. And to the future owner, congrats on the fine purchase! I've owned mine for 3 years and the details only keep impressing me.

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I feel the Euro 308 QVs are a world of difference compared to the US version. Just a better car IMO.
    GLWS
    Beautiful car.

7. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #7 Owens84QV, Apr 13, 2016
    Amen...I'll be watching this one closely.

Question...the red "seat belt" light / indicator on the dash; was this added as part of the Federalization process?...or, was this part of the OEM cluster for later serial numbers?

8. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
  9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I honestly don't know about the red seat belt light, and I can't find an answer by searching. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I know that the rectangular side markers were added for DOT federalization, and this may have been added as well. But, the car was not touched (engine, emissions, etc.) for EPA federalization, because it was brought in on a one-time exemption, and the paperwork is present to prove that.

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My 84 Euro QV (LHD but UK spec, delivered on Jersey, Channel Islands) does not have a seat belt light there (or at all).

Looks like a great car, GLWS!

(If the buyer wants a speedometer in MPH and odo in miles, I could swap - mine has the MPH/miles unit per UK (53K mi on the clock), but here in Canada a km/h kilometers unit would be better!)

11. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #11 Thomas Magnum, Apr 13, 2016
  12. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    I also have no seat belt light. My car does however read in MPH, yet the odo clicks over in Kms. I was told some importers just threw a sticker over the stock odometer to "recalibrate" it? I dunno. It hasn't been something that I cared to address.

13. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mine (Oct '83 build euro) also just has the rectangular side markers, and, my engine etc is untouched as well. There is no possible way my car would have passed then nor now from an emissions standpoint!

Somewhere (I can't seem to find it) there was a list of the EPA/DOT Federalization items completed on these cars. The only 2 items my car has are the rectangular side markers and an "Unleaded Only" fuel decal near the fuel cap.

Beautiful car by the way!!! GLWS

14. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    As the owner of an 85 Euro 308 that was also barely Federalized, I hope you get your asking price.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    IIRC the fasten Seat Belt feature came very early, maybe 1978??

My 1976 -77s were free of it, but it followed not long after.

GLWS!
    That's a wonderful example...

16. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Me too. And mine is CA registered already. (If I could bring myself to part with it.)

Also, mine has the seat belt warning light attached under the dash below the ignition.

17. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    85 euro owner here, just the side markers on mine too. I don't have that seat belt light on mine at all, but in that same spot on the dash there's an "Unleaded Gasoline Only" sticker. Definitely hope you get your asking price. Please report back to us, info on euro sales in the US is almost non-existent.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Please, please, please: not the "hearsay" about "only 22 308/328 in nero metallic again.
    There are HUNDREDS of 308 and 328 in "nero met".

Rgds

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Neither "Euro" 308s or 328s in Europe had one.

Rgds

20. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Nerofer: I defer to your diligence in the tracking of these cars. Since most of the only sources of production numbers on these cars comes from "hearsay", that's why I said "some sources indicate".

OK. So there are hundreds of these cars out there. Still pretty rare. :)

Thank you for the clarification! I suspected that was the case, and given that other owners have chimed in as well, I have to assume that this was added during the DOT federalization process on this particular car.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Michael, we know from factory figures that 11% of all 328 produced (1344 GTBs and 6068 GTSs, so 7412 cars - we leave the cabriolet aside) left the factory in the two blacks, proportion between the two being about two third for the "standard" one, one third for the metallic.
    That gives you about 800 black 328, of which about 270 are " nero met.". As many here know, I collect chassis numbers, and I have more than 22 Nero met 328 alone...
    I have no personal interest in saying that "nero met" is not rare, as one of my two 328s is nero met indeed. The color seems rare because many owners just say: I have a black car, without making the difference
    Rgds

22. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Thanks Nerofer. But there may very well have been many Nero Metallic 328s, as you say, but I'm not clear on the production numbers for the 308.

The previous owner of this 308 contacted me and said that it was his understanding that there were 22 308 QV cars painted in Nero Metallic.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There are about two hundreds 308 in Nero Metallic; the "22" figure has been quoted by others, for instance by Patrick here ("Gray TA") who has one, but, as with many other figures regarding colors, no-one has a source, and no-one Is even able to tell if it Is supposed to be 22 for all US cars, or for the world production; some even say "22" for all 308s AND 328s, which is clearly completly wrong. One thing is sure: Black Is the second most common color after Red on 3x8s, the metallic black being slightly more rare. But it Is certainly not a rare color on a 308 or 328.
    Rgds

24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I would surmise that the "rarest" color would be one that was offered for one model year only, if that ever occurred. Anybody know?

25. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I would guess that Ferrari painted at least one car a special-order custom color for very special customers. It seems that Ferrari has a tradition where if you show up with enough cash they'll paint a car whatever color you want.