1st Ferrari - Manual - Reasonably Priced / Driver | FerrariChat

1st Ferrari - Manual - Reasonably Priced / Driver

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by vt3, Apr 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vt3

vt3 Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Van Travis
    Looking for my first Ferrari! Would like a reasonably prices / driver quality car with manual transmission. Any suggestions or leads appreciated!

2. goldy1995

goldy1995 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    USA
    Full Name:
    Goldy1995
    'Reasonable price' is different for everyone. Fuel injected 308 / 328 are reputably reliable and the cheapest of Ferraris to maintain. There are several for sale on Ferrari Chat. Check out 1989 Red / Tan 328 for sale on this forum, that I looked at, here in NY. I am also looking for something 'reasonably priced,' but this car was just too nice for my budget. I need to look at something a couple of years older and less collectible.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    308 GT4 would be even more reasonable. But condition is everything with a Ferrari, so you should go back to the relevant section for the car you are most interested in, and get educated on them, before throwing out a general "wanted" ad. Otherwise you will get burned...and your first Ferrari experience will be a less than satisfactory one.

4. vt3

vt3 Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Van Travis
    Thanks! By reasonable I mean drivable / good value. Not looking to pay top dollar for a low mileage collector car. Want a car I can enjoy! I saw the one you mention but my thoughts on that car are similar to yours!

5. vt3

vt3 Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Van Travis
    Sorry, Title should have read Reasonably Priced, not prices.

6. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Consider a 308 GTSi (the least expensive of the 308s, and very reliable) or a Mondial (also very reliable -- essentially a 328 underneath). Both great cars, relatively reliable, and values are on the upswing (= unlikely you'll lose money on it). I've owned both, and they're terrifically fun to drive.

7. excellautogroup

excellautogroup Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2013
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Oleg Kouznetsov
  8. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    What is your price range?

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    vt3: Ferrari 355s are reputed to be nightmares from a maintenance perspective. Recent articles on them were lowlighted by a long-time owner stating that he would not recommend purchase of a 355. I would start somewhere else.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello Van, I see you are in Rochester - I'm south of Buffalo in Orchard Park. I own (3) 355's - don't believe what you hear about them being a nightmare. Sure, they have know issues and when addressed, they are awesome cars.

I will be listing one of mine fairly soon - it's a 95 Berlinetta, Rosso Corsa / Nero. Send me a PM or email if you wish to discuss.

11. vt3

vt3 Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Van Travis
    Thanks! Just sent you a PM

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Replied - please give me a call :)

13. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the 348 is the sweet spot right now, you can get a good car in the $50's. All the manual 355's are listed for around $100k and above. The 328's are approaching $100k. The 348's are a forgotten gem.

14. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    You can find a gated 456 GT for affordable money.

I have one, and absolutely love it!

15. vt3

vt3 Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Van Travis

I have been looking for a gated 456 without much luck. Let me know if you have any have any leads on one!

16. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Saw a few on cars.con just this am.

This 348 looks interesting for under $50k: 348 on cars.com

And this 360 is from a Fdealer asking just under $100k, so you know there is some negotiation room... Very unique color combo: 360 3-pedal on cars.com

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    pretty sure that is falcon wings ex car which was in an accident and repaired. current seller is not that upfront about it. Double check the facts tho

18. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The 348 or the 360?

19. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Meister,

I assume you're referring to the 348? It does appear to have a lot of mods, perhaps the accident is why? Good to know about accident regardless.

But even with that history, it seems that if it checks out on PPI, $46k (or less assuming some negotiation room) would be a good price for a driver like the OP states he is looking for.

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    360 manual

Reliable and relatively user friendly. Nice examples can still be had sub 90k which is pretty remarkable given how few i find listed these days.

Also one of the best looking ferraris ever made imo

21. goldy1995

goldy1995 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    USA
    Full Name:
    Goldy1995
    Does reasonably priced mean a little rust? A few holes in the leather seats? Mechanical issues or high mileage? When it comes to Ferrari's it's always cheaper to buy the best you can afford.

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    A Mondial can have any number of mechanicals depending on the year. It mirrors (engine and transmission) the 308GTSi, 308 QV and 328. The precursor I recommended is the 308GT4 which mirrors the 308 2 valve carb cars

23. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    vt3,
    I doubt you can buy a better car than one from Dave. Remember Goldilocks? Not too hot, not too cold. That's the 355 - an amazing car, and a lot of bang for the buck.

24. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My '86 328 GTS is still available. It's a drivers car and scored well (93 points) in last years FCA Pasadena Concorso. I corrected all the minor issues (racing pedals replaced with original rubber, SS braided hoses returned back to braided cloth and fire extinguisher removed) and have hopes of a Platinum at the Concorso next week. High Auto Check report and score. All service is current with service records dating back to when new. Detailed write up on the Ferrari Sale thread page with photos.

Asking $79,499 on Auto Trader but willing to let go for a better deal for someone on F-Chat. If interested, PM and will send additional information.

25. vt3

vt3 Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Van Travis

Thanks. Sent you a PM