2007 Ferrari F430 Spider 8k miles 105k (flood, but not) | FerrariChat

2007 Ferrari F430 Spider 8k miles 105k (flood, but not)

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by JAM360, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAM360

JAM360 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    #1 JAM360, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2007 Ferrari F430 8600 miles on it. Titanium with black Daytona seats, painted calipers, ceramic brakes. Tons of options. I bought it last year from a fellow F chatter after a exhaustive PPI which it passed with flying colors. No paint work. Enthusiast owned. Needs nothing.

A few months ago my warehouse where I keep my collection developed a roof leak during a rain storm. This car was sitting with the top down and got a few sprinkles on the seats that I actually wiped off in 30 seconds. Insurance company came in and totaled any car that had a "hint" of water in it. I argued with the insurance company over the cars for months. In any event I bought this car back from the insurance because well, it didn't get wet.

So, for $105,000 you get a perfectly good flood branded title car (knocked 30k off for that)

I figured with the hit the insurance company gave me on the price of the car and the high buyback price, I might break even on this deal.

I literally have emails of my arguing about nothing being wrong with the car to no avail) with the insurance company, and pictures of the seats that got wet.

I need 105k for the car. This would be a great car for someone to drive and put miles on. You are buying it right and it's not like the car was under water. I even have surveillance video of a few sprinkles getting on the car.

Email for more info. No trades. Cash is king. Car has a perfect carfax but I have to check flood on the title when I sell it to you, per insurance company. 312 622-7533 Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JAM360

JAM360 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    #2 JAM360, Apr 22, 2016
  3. JAM360

JAM360 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    #3 JAM360, Apr 22, 2016
  4. JAM360

JAM360 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Above picture was when it was wet. That's it, literally!

5. @TEM

@TEM Karting

Oct 10, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Haha - so if you drive your convertible in the rain - the insurance company would total it?

GLWS!

6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    So what I don't get is if you knew that it was only sprinkles and only the seats were wet why did you have to go through the insurance company. Why were they even involved? Why didn't you just wipe the seats, put the car outside to dry, close the roof and all done?

7. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Yea why didn't you just dry off ...simple.
    Also I would say that a branded car is really worth 50% of its actual value.
    I would say this car is a value at 60/70k.
    Again this is my opinion.

8. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Toss in the jet and you've got a deal. GLWS. That branding will probably bring 50% of your ask. Maybe. Just my opinion as well.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

9. JAM360

JAM360 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    The law in IL states water damage is 33% of the value to declare a total loss. Secondly, I own a large collection and well, that's what they decided to do.

10. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This would be a fantastic car to buy and just rack miles on. GLWS!

11. SDS

SDS Karting
    BANNED

Aug 24, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    SDS
    The Insurance Company was called to achieve what ?

12. carbonm

carbonm Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    Any coupes in your collection? I am in IL looking for a f430 coupe.

13. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You write: "Insurance company came in and totaled any car that had a "hint" of water in it."....By the way you wrote this you lead others to believe other items perished as well....You had other cars that were totaled as a result of this incident?

Living in Florida and having my vehicles in a warehouse too, I don't keep convertible tops down for a second while parked inside and the fact that the water "leak" is not concentrated to a single spot but over almost the entire cabin area leads me to believe that the roof issue was a major water infiltration event...

GLWS. Shame that it happened to this beauty.

14. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    +1, inquiring minds want to know.

Shame to see such a cool spec'd 430 in this situation. From what I've seen over the years any Ferrari with a "branded" title is a hard item to sell. Even at major discount.

Even cars that suffered just a minor fender bender are a tough sell.

BTW, why aren't you keeping it?

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    GLWS. I would get it and drive it like there was no tomorrow!

This would be a great candidate for some tuning and hooning.

16. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    These statement are a little confusing.

Was your insurance company assessing your collection as one single item of value or were they assessing each individual car?

If the former, why not on a car-by-car basis? I've never known an insurance company to voluntarily pay out more than absolutely necessary.

If the latter, then that would correspond to the insurance company assessing over $30K in damages to address a "few sprinkles".

17. SDS

SDS Karting
    BANNED

Aug 24, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    SDS

Maybe because the damage was bigger than what is described?

The Insurance Company was called and totalled the car. Because of a little water spray?

Anyway, is he not entitled to get whetever $$$ the car was insured for (I guess more than the $105k being asked) ?

This story makes little sense to me...

18. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    its at auto auction for sale now.

19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #19 phrogs, Apr 22, 2016
    Its on copart sealed bid and no keys?? Haha silly

Id be damned if an insurance adjuster would totaled my car out for what amounted to not getting the top up in a some rain.

That is not a flood car. Just a bad call but since its on copart Not sure why your selling for the insurance company. Have they not taken possesion yet?

This is just shady all around

FERR F430 SPIDE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Sweet ride, I bet that car is problem free too. Dont worry about the tire kickers, there is a butt for every seat!

21. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Hardly to believe insurance would total a car which was driving under the rain with top down. They adjustor must hate his company to make such call. So the only winner is you ... good luck for the sale

22. JAM360

JAM360 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    I bought the car back from the insurance company Copart does not have it. $95k

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

So if the car just got sprinkled on, why not keep it? You loved it before the wet event, right?

You have a jet, a large collection of cars, so it's not the money loss that's making you sell.

And, if you have emails back and forth between you and the insurer, why not post a couple here? It would go a long way towards making folks feel more comfortable with the car.

You could black out your info, leave the insurance adjusters name and the company available and a couple phone calls to the adjuster by any prospective buyer would clear the way for your sale.

And no, I'm not interested in your car, but I am interested in seeing that you get what you should for your car, and that no member here buys a pig in a poke.

D

24. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Stupid stuff happens sometimes with insurance claims.

It would help if

1) you could provide a damage estimate, assuming by a qualified claims expert. Before an insurance company "totals" a car, especially a Ferrari, they have at least one reputable claim estimate for the adjustor to consider.

2) It might be helpful to you to proactively spend $500-750 and have a reputable, independent shop (or dealer) do a PPI on the car and publish it

3) I know insurance companies are HYPER conservative about water in cars, mostly due to airbags, ABS, et al for safety liability

4) unfortunately, having a salvage/flood brand is going to be crippling. At this point, best thing to do is find someone who wants to drive the car and know it's reliable. If you bought it back, and stated you just "want to break even" between the payout and your buyback, that's fair logic, but think you can demonstrate a bit more behind the scenes before this thread (and your car) get more of a story than it already has.

Good luck

BTW if I'm violating For Sale forum rules with this commentary, mods please delete with my apologies

25. ebschor

ebschor Karting

Jan 30, 2015
    Bought the car back from insurance company just to break even?

Not buying the car back would have guaranteed breaking even. Now, you have to take into account time and energy spent trying to sell it.

Can you please upload the PPI you mention in the first message? The VIN on Copart matches the VIN you published. How is it not the car?