1994 Ferrari 348 Challenge - Never Converted or Raced | FerrariChat

1994 Ferrari 348 Challenge - Never Converted or Raced

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by SupercarGuru, Apr 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #1 SupercarGuru, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For years I have followed in my families footsteps of investing, buying and selling a myriad of very odd, unique and special European collector cars.

Excited to be launching Curated, #wearecurated, a classic car dealership in Miami, and share our journey of discovering, researching, restoring, preserving the stories of the greatest automobiles ever made and pairing them with some awesome collections!

We plan to always have 10-12 specialized cars in stock at our current showroom in Miami but will be expanding to a new space early 2016.

Some cars will be coming out of our private collection for now and some exciting cars coming by way of some private collectors this summer!

To get started as an official FerrariChat sponsor... meet our 1994 Ferrari 348 Challenge. It was purchased from a member here who was not sure exactly what he had.

We purchased the car and went through everything! Researching and verifying its entire history and meticulously going through every inch of the car and all the services. (Belt service being finished by week of May 9.)

The car is 1 of the handful of factory Ferrari 348 Challenge cars made in 1994. The car was delivered new to Ferrari of Monterey and then never converted or raced. we personally know of only 2-3 other cars in similar condition.

1994 Ferrari 348 Challenge
    1 of 32 factory recorded cars

Rosso Corsa Entirely Original Paint 9/10
    All original Black Leather interior 8.7/10

ALL Books, Tools, Records, Original Window Sticker (Reflecting Challenge Spec and Order)
    Old Pirelli-era tires

-Factory Roll Bar Mounting positions untouched
    -Interior Roll Bar covers all remain
    -Factory Racing Harness Eyelets in place

All original parts and never modified in anyway.

All sticky parts have been redone!

Asking $149,800.00 - Please email - [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Price is specifically for FerrariChat members!

3. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Considering I remember when this car was sold a couple of months ago, and the seller's ask at the time, I'm not quite sure how one should take that.

But, glws regardless.

Which one of the 32 is this car?

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Holy crap that's gorgeous!

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Do you recall the price?

6. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    mid $50's i believe

7. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    This was the first time it was advertised. It was later advertised just under $90, if I remember. We took a risk at the time not knowing anything about the cars history and a skeptical audience on the forum. Tons of interest PMs and emails around the car made it difficult to negotiate at all at the time. That being said, we figured it was worth a shot! The car needed a full service and we have well over $100 into the car as of last month. We got very lucky indeed! But it could have been a $30-40k mistake if the car was not what we hoped.

8. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    GLWS, great to see an unmolested Challenge, and even better to see some 348 variants getting a little $ love. Fantastic cars that had been under the radar and are due for their recognition. Yes, some very fortunate gambles have played out on this car, and congratulations are in order to the owners. I remember seeing the listings, especially the initial one. Great car!

9. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    The number that pops into my head was around 52k. I was the first person to respond to the original owners thread, and I followed it immediately with a PM saying I wanted the car. For some reason I never received a reply and the next day the thread was taken down. I guess the original owner was inundated with calls and realized he mis-priced the car. Anyway, wish I could have snagged it for somewhere in the 50's, but at anything north of 100 for me it becomes much more challenging from a value proposition. I have no doubt that the car is real and if you want an unmolested Challenge car that has not been raced then this would be the one to have!

10. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Thank you for the kind words!!

11. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Agreed! At the time I was buying it for myself and was willing to take the risk. It makes great inventory for the dealership opening and honestly looks great next to our XJ220, Miura, etc.

12. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    John,

If you bought the car at or near it's recent asking price of mid $50's and you now have well over $100K into it (per your email), perhaps you could list some of the things you spent the additional $50K on.

It will likely help prospective buyers to warm up to your asking price! GLWS.

13. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I did not buy the car for mid $50s. I wish. It was advertised twice on the forum. Once for mid $50s, and again for $70 something. The seller was swamped with emails, PMs and calls. This made the purchase impossible to negotiate at the time. I ended up buying the car sight unseen for under $100.

All of the center console, AC vents, buttons were replaced due to the sticky and common residue.

The car went through a full service, new battery, fluids, anything it needed, including timing belt replacement.

Had a well known detailer spend almost a week working on the original paint to have it completely restored. (expensive)

We spent another 2-3 days detailing the interior, underneath and engine.

Sourced a few original (expensive) parts including 348 Challenge badge.

Sourced an original radio which will be installed.

In addition, we purchased Challenge springs which come with the car and currently installed a very loud Challenge style exhaust.

Thanks! The car really is a stunning example of a great unmolested survivor that needs nothing!

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #14 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    well, the one to have is Phill and Martha's car- 300 or so mile car with the entire and I mean the entire kit still in plastic. Don't even ask, just look. This was FCA2011 Savannah, GA

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Sherpa would like to attend that yard sale...

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    And glad to see these very unappreciated cars moving. If you drive one, you will understand, until then those that comment know nothing lol. Pick a twisty Blue Ridge mountain road near Asheville, NC and have at it.

17. time

time Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2011
    Full Name:
    DeeGee
    Wow! That is the coolest pile of parts next to a 348 that I have ever seen!! Well.. Besides my own pile ;)

18. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
  19. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    +348

20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    The holy grail. That is incredible!!!

21. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    +1

I saw Phil and Martha Bachman's yellow 348 Challenge car in a copy of OTTO magazine many years ago. The picture motivated me to buy my current 348. The Bachman's also have a matching set of black Schedoni luggage and a special order set in yellow for this and a matching 348 Spider. In fact, most of their Ferrari collection was ordered in various hues of yellow!!

22. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Incredible! They have a yellow Enzo as well? I remember reading somewhere about their collection.

23. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    SOLD. Congratulations to its new owner. Joining a stunning collecting of no mileage Special Edition cars.

This was one of the nicest condition 90s era Ferrari I have ever encountered AND one of the rarest.

FYI. This car would have brought $175-200k USD if it had the entire Challenge kit as we discussed.

24. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Someone got a very rare and desirable car!

25. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    SWEET !!!!!

A great home