1985 Ferrari 308 GTB QV Euro #56545 | FerrariChat

1985 Ferrari 308 GTB QV Euro #56545

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by shmark, May 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 shmark, May 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is my grail car, a final year Euro GTB. I spent years looking for one, only to get a reference from a fellow FerrariChat member. Within a couple of hours I had spoken to the owner and had a handshake deal. I’ve owned it for six years, driven it all over the south, and I am not kidding…it has been the most reliable car I’ve owned. It’s been a fantastic six years, but it’s time for someone else to find their grail.

I bought it from a gentleman in Dallas who was retiring to Mexico and downsizing his life. He owned it for thirteen years and drove it sparingly. I have all the records from his ownership (mostly Ferrari of Dallas and Norwood), as well as all the records from my ownership, but nothing prior. In the six years I’ve owned it I’ve put just under 10k miles on it. Lots of pictures and threads in the 308 forum, so you can see how I’ve maintained and improved it over the years.

Purchased June 2010 in Dallas
    Extensive major service at Norwood before pickup, including anything it needed to be 100% reliable
    Restored bumpers, plenum, coolant tank and other items, full thread in 308 forum
    Distributor caps, shaft seals, gaskets, coils, rotors, wires, extenders and plugs
    Rebuilt rear calipers by PMB
    Fresh brake pads and fluid
    Birdman fusebox update (original still with the car)
    New water pump and belts
    Excellent set of Dunlop Direzza tires, including 2 spares
    Parts Manual
    Correct Euro owner’s manual
    Complete and correct jack kit
    I do not have a tool kit

Major service just completed at Ferrari of Atlanta including timing belts, bearings, valve adjustments, rebuilt steering rack, restored/refinished wheels, cleaned and detailed interior, engine bay. Current mileage is 40,200.

I took it for a nice drive yesterday and it runs beautifully. Currently stored at Ferrari of Atlanta and I’m happy to meet you there any time.
    Asking $99,000
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Wow, that's beautiful.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Oh my..

4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    great looking car
    not too many of these for sale.

5. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
    Stunning pics!

6. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I can't believe you're selling. GLWS.

7. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know this car personally, and while shocked to read Mark is letting her go, someone, hopefully in our fchat community, will be getting an outstanding and rare Euro QV GTB.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Lovely car - GLWS!

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    An '85 4V "B" --- it doesn't get any better than that in the 308 world !

(unless you are one of those weirdos that likes the carbed cars) ;):)

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a 4V Euro model without the deep front spoiler (air dam) before. Is that unusual ?

Not a criticism --- just an observation.

10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
  11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    When I first spotted this thread, I had a price-range in mind...this is below that range. Someone's going to get a heck of a car @ this asking price.

12. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Mine (85 Euro GTS) has the shallower spoiler which I prefer - more practical!

13. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Equivalent to £69k - you won't find one in the UK for that! Or in South Africa for that matter.. Now at least $120k.

14. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    I agree...

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #15 finnerty, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    As a loooooooong time 308 owner, I confess it feels good to see these cars appreciating so much in value --- as I have been able to see my car go from expensive toy to good investment.

But, I have to admit I still cannot quite wrap my head around a 308 (other than a rare collectible model say a glass, dry sump, GTB for example) being a $75-100K plus car !

It positively baffles me :)

That said, as much as I love my little 308, as soon as (if ever) its appreciation curve intersects the 458's depreciation curve...... I'll be trading ! :)

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    +1

17. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for all the comments guys, definitely has been a struggle to decide what to do but I think it's time. Big life changes ahead (good ones!) and change is a good thing.

In the US, I'm pretty confident it's the only one. If you want a Euro GTB then this is it!

Neither can I. Even my wife is a little amazed.

Thanks Mark, appreciate it. Now get yours done so I can come up and get a ride once in a while.

I really struggled with the ask. There are zero comps available. Not a few, zero. Looking at what is out there and what sales are happening, I know this is a very rare car with a limited market. I could probably ask more and push the market, but then again I've made the decision to sell and I'd love it to go quickly to an enthusiast who will enjoy it.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a bidding war! :D

18. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Some items I forgot to mention. It has Dave Helms' fuel hose kit installed, so no more risk there. Also the headlights are correct E-code Cibies with standard bulbs, and the lower flash-to-pass lights are currently new Marchals. I have the original lights as well, but one has a broken lens. I also have the original shift knob, just prefer the heft and feel of the aluminum one. There is some wear on the driver's bolster, but all the leather is original and quite nice. Floormats are currently replacement from Ricambi and the color is a close match to the red original. I still have the original mats in a box, a little worn but still good.

The a/c works very well and in all but direct summer sun, will keep the interior nice and cool. Even in summer, it's pretty decent, probably better than most 308s. The new steering rack is a revelation, just amazing. There used to be a little play right on center and now there is none at all, tight and absolutely direct. I love it.

19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Sounds like a truly fantastic example, Mark !

Best of luck to you ! :)

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  21. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
    Have you talked to Roy Cats yet? I'm sure he has about 25 clients looking for this exact one at any given time. Many may be FChatters but many not have logged in for a while.

22. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great suggestion, I'll ping him. Thanks!

23. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Beauty! GLWS!!!

24. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
    Good luck. Over on the Lambo forum Roy offered $100K for a Verde Ithaca G that seller is trying to get $105K - $110K for. You may have seen it on eBay as well.

25. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Couple more things I didn't mention, so everything is 100% clear. The front left has been resprayed at some point in the past, a long time ago. You can just see a blend in the A-pillar, but the color match is excellent. I didn't have it done and neither did the PO, so it was done at least 20 years ago, and it was done well. Inspections don't turn up any body work, so my best guess is road rash or scratches. Also the right front inner fender liner is missing. I'm trying to source a replacement for it.