Wanted: Ferrari 308 Gt4 Dino Euro Spec | FerrariChat

Wanted: Ferrari 308 Gt4 Dino Euro Spec

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Lordsinclair, Jul 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lordsinclair

Lordsinclair Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Hi all, I'm looking to buy a Euro spec Ferrari 308 GT4. I'm searching for a pre 1976 model to avoid having to comply with California smog requirements. Happy to consider either projects or concours cars alike. I'm looking for a keeper, I'm not a dealer or a flipper.
    Based on Los Angeles but can of course travel.
    Many thanks

2. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    RPM in Vermont has a really cool white one. It's a '75 Euro car

3. Lordsinclair

Lordsinclair Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Premoto1 thank you.

4. haisoodewa

haisoodewa Karting

Aug 14, 2011
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Zach M
    RPMVT also has a 1975 US car, which may be easier to title & smog in CA than a Euro car. I've had some seat time in it ...it's awesome.

5. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Smog stuff starts with 76' cars in CA. :)

6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Did you look at the 75 that Beverly Hills has? Even if you don't like it I would be interested in your assessment. Seems like it's in your back yard.

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Very nice red one with some rare options on ebay this morning, but they want $100K for it. Euro car.

There is or was a brown one on Ebay for about $70K very nice not sure Euro though.

8. Lordsinclair

Lordsinclair Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Hi yes the Beverly Hills Car Club one apparently has $60k's worth of service receipts so could be worth a look for someone. They've had it for ages though so not sure why it's not selling. I'm looking specifically for a Euro car otherwise I'd take a look.
    The red one on eBay has a starting bid of $100k. Bare metal restoration by Strictly Ferrari. About as good as it gets no?
    The brown one is US spec.
    Thanks all, the search continues...

9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #9 davemqv, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    I've looked at both BHCC Dino's this week. The black one won't start and is missing the clutch cable. Leather is stiff. Paint passable. A lot of work.

The red one starts but runs very rough. Interior in bad shape. Also a lot of work.

Big project cars, IMO. At 20k maybe worth it. At 35-40? Not so much.

10. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Hey Dave,

The reason the black car is missing the clutch cable, in my opinion, is that the friction disc is stuck to the flywheel. This happens with these cars when they are left standing for a long period of time. Otherwise the seller would have replaced the clutch cable, this is a very simple repair, and the car would be much easier to sell. Clutch cables do not wear out or fall off. Freeing the clutch may be more involved esp if the car is not running.

When I asked them if I could have a leakdown test done, they refused stating that they do not allow disassembly of the motor!! So that may be why the motor will not start.

Which one has $60K in receipts? Both of them look like they could use some work.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Russ,

Hahaha, that place is something.

The red one has all the receipts. The guy showing me the cars was really trying hard to sell me that red one, claiming it was a much better deal at $40k as it's a "running, driving car" than the black one with the dead motor at $35k. But honestly to me they both seemed like they needed a total restoration. The red car ran so poorly it was laughable. The guy kept telling me "it just needs to run for a while". Uh, yeah. Both also both need body work, either from damage or corrosion. And lots of "little fixes" that will add up as well. For example the seats wouldn't lock in place on the red car. I had to hold the dash with my left arm to depress the pedals.

I'd love to get a Dino, and even though I don't do my own work a project car isn't out of the question. If the cars were priced at $20k or below they'd be decent projects. As they are they're just waiting for an uninformed buyer to come along and buy into a giant headache.

I thin the OP would have better luck with almost any other Dino's out there!

12. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I agree. I'm sure BHCC paid less than $20k for each car. They beat me to a 208 project car by a few hours. Total project and they got it for $12k and a few weeks later listed it for $30k in the exact same condition less any of the records that the long term owner gave them. It went to Europe when the Euro was stronger. In my opinion they have no respect for vintage cars. Just flippers.

13. Lordsinclair

Lordsinclair Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Well I'm only looking for a Euro spec car but even if I wasn't I think the BHCC cars are too much of a risk at that price...

14. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
    Hello, we have a 1975 308 Dino. Our car is a project car. If you like please call me or email me and I can try and get you whatever info that I have. We are about 40 miles from Los Angeles.....

15. Lordsinclair

Lordsinclair Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Cameron. Looks like a Euro bumper conversion...?

16. Lookingforfcar

Dec 2, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Andy
  17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  18. Lookingforfcar

Dec 2, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I shared because OP also stated "Happy to consider either projects or concours cars alike. "

19. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Might be worth it if runs ok and you can get it for around $20k.

20. Lordsinclair

Lordsinclair Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I agree jimgolf1, unfortunately I'm not sure $20k cars exist anymore...