Mondial T Cabriolet | FerrariChat

Mondial T Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by asphaltca, Jul 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    As the title reads I'm interested in purchasing a well sorted Mondial T Cabriolet.
    1990 or newer would be preferred but lets hear what you have. Preferred is a car that has maintenance records and has had a recent Major service.
    Please PM me if you have or know of someone that might want to part with one.

Mark 613 329 8333

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    There are two on ebay at the moment one has had $50K in recent mechanical/electrical work ... which says something about the real cost of ownership of these "budget" Ferraris.

3. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    #3 asphaltca, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Thanks, I already have a Ferrari FF but it is just too tame unless you go heavy on the right pedal. I will keep it as it is a great car for long drives but I do miss my F430 three pedal Spider. Being 6 foot 6 I can not fit in anything comfortably other then the 2+2 cars and when I'm in them they become a 2+1 car as I'm into the seat behind me. I'm just looking for that raw open top experience again. I know they are a entry level cars but I would like one for local fun runs, plus being extremely handy and living 2.5 hours away from anyone that knows what a Ferrari looks like, I can fix it without a technologist degree.

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ken, that looks awfully nice to me.

6. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks Ken. If accurate, not very many miles on it. Should that worry me?

7. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Mark,

No it should not worry you....oh boy here it comes...that seems to be a very nice car

There is a very good 348/355 forum that the T actually is also the Mondial section is very good.. we all give our cars the loving they need....and it sounds you are very capable!

As a Stooger from the 348 section that mentioned car would cause me no issues to buy if I didnt have one already.....

8. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
  9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops

Right? Looks spectacular to me man.

To the mileage question. PPI, if alls well. Pull the trigger

10. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    #10 asphaltca, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    I drove round trip 1700 kms to Mass. and was disappointed.
    The car had not seen a major in 10 years, it need paint work on the drivers door and a serious amount of cut and polish. The top was replaced but no Ferrari logo on the window. Both of the pillars had damaged weather stripping and the windows all had problems with operating. There was lots of dampness on the under side of the engine and it looks like it was on display out side of someones store. How you ask I could tell? The driver side of the car was sun damaged. the wheel centre caps were clouding the side of the seat damaged and the air intake on that side was two way taped on with the leading tips broken. A/C did not work as well as the stereo.
    Not what I would consider a well sorted car.

Still Looking

11. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hey Mark,
    If you search the posts, there was an FChatter from Montreal named Lino. He has a really nice Mondial t cab that he was considering selling. Try to get in contact with him.
    On another note and not to be negative, but be prepared to be 'disappointed' with some of the cars you see out there. Unless they have had a detailed owner who was not afraid of investing time and energy into the car, they'll need work to get them up to snuff. I would suggest you budget $5-10K to put into a car after purchase unless it's a well sorted car.

12. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Expect to spend $15K to bring a car in from Canada unless it was originally sold and registered in the US, somewhat less if it 's more than 25 years old. Import duty, gas guzzler tax, sales tax, freight, customs brokerage, and even Canadian sales tax if you try to drive it back.

13. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    The costs to bring a car into Canada are as follows:
    1. Exchange rate from US to Canadian
    2. 6.1% Duty
    3. A/C tax of $100
    4. RIV charge of $325
    5. Transport and brokerage. Budget $2500-3500 depending on where it's coming from
    6. HST - however, you pay this on any car purchase whether it's in Canada as well

For example, a $40,000 US car ends up costing $59,000 - 60,000 Canadian landed (with exchange, duty, A/C and RIV charge and transport). Then you add the HST.

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Aha! Canada is one of those countries the Donald talks about that impose a lopsided duty. Duty into the USA from Canada is zero on Canadian mfg vehicles and 2.5% on other origin. Go get 'em Donald.

Did not realize OP was IN Canada and would be bringing car in reverse direction.

OK well FWIW Ferraris are cheaper in Canada than in the USA right now even before all this tax stuff so you would be unlikely to buy a car in the USA and import to Canada.

I know of a very clean red 3.2 Cab for sale in Canada, it's not a T but if you think about it the 3.2 is a wiser choice in many respects. PM me if you want to go down that path.

15. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Still looking. I viewed two in Montreal the other day. One was with only 28,000 miles but it was in a condition that requires you to start a one corner then very slowly move your way around the car doing repairs and upgrades. The other was well enjoyed and kept well but with 78,000 miles and some starting issues and odd noises from the car's engine, leads me to believe that there will be an expensive repair to come. The seller (a member here) informed me that the 1988 car did not come with Cat's. If that is so I might be able to get it to pass an Etest (emissions test) for Ontario but if it was built with them then later removed then I will not be able to ever licence the car. Can any one help with wether the 1988 Mondial came with a catalytic exhaust system? I would need to buy a 1987 to avoid the necessity of a Etest as that year would grandfather in.

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  17. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    I do appreciate the T's but since 1990 and up Ferrari had to for safety reasons install a knee protector pad along the bottom of the dash. Being 6'6" with a 38" inseam makes it very tight for changing gears. I have also noticed that they also changed the back seats and made a longer seat base which translates into not allowing me to move the front seat back as far as in 1989 and older models.I had plans to extend the seat tracks but with nowhere to go it just won't work.

18. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    All post 81 had cat's

19. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Does anyone know if a Cat-less Mondial (3.2) will pass emission testing?

20. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Pass or not to pass?

21. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Interesting about seat back, never noticed (I had a 3.2 1988, and a '92 T), and I'm 6'5" with a 38" inseam.

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN