1995 456GT manual | FerrariChat

1995 456GT manual

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by tantumaude, Aug 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    #1 tantumaude, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A bittersweet moment for me: I just found out we're expecting our first child (yay!), so my newly acquired 456 regrettably has to go (boo!) as I just won't have time to drive it as it should be driven.

It's an original 1995 456GT manual Japan-delivered model, the VIN ZFFSD44JPN0101501, currently at 11300 kms (about 7060 miles). Argento Nurburgring on Grigio Scuro, the last year of Pininfarina production.

I am the second owner, having purchased it from the original Japanese owner through Balcom, a dealer in Hiroshima, Japan. I imported it to Vancouver, and had it trained to me near Toronto, Canada. It is registered under my name with a clean and clear Ontario title, and has been registered as an import under the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, so future ownership transfers and emissions tests are conducted as if the car were originally Canadian.

I will do my best to be fully transparent: it has a few of the issues endemic to the 456, most prevalently a poorly-fitting passenger window (the driver's fits impeccably) and slight discolouration in the corners of the rear windshield. There are a couple of very minor stone chips in the front end and some wear on the handbrake lever base due to the previous owner rubbing a shoe buckle against it. There is a very slight dent in the rear edge of the driver's door, almost imperceptible. Two of the small enamel pieces on the crossed flags emblem on the console are missing. The rear console shocks are dead.

That said, the car is a great example of a GT Ferrari. It shows and drives very nicely, all electrical elements function perfectly. For anyone who hasn't driven a 456, it is an excellent balance of comfort and effortless power. The adjustable dampening makes driving in town one minute and cruising on a highway the next a breeze.

It sits on a set of refinished 18” 575M wheels and near-new Continental Y-rated tires, in my opinion among the best upgrades to a 456. The original 17" wheels and original (from 1995!) tires are also included. Spacers are inbound this week. The headlights were expertly retrofitted to HID (and proper projectors).

The car has a full set of manuals in the appropriate pouch (I added an English version) and a complete tool kit with case, including spare belts, fuses and bulbs.

The car is undergoing a comprehensive service this week in the capable hands of Tom Bakowsky at Cross Avenue in Oakville (tbakowsky on these forums), all belts and fluids will be changed. I had the alternator replaced as a preventive measure with an original Denso unit due to voltage fluctuations, and the typical bubbled HVAC panel overlay has been replaced as well.

Documentation includes every Shaken inspection report from Japan covering the car's entire life, and will include Tom's service as well (which I believe to be the first full service on the car). I've included a few sample pictures, I have a couple hundred more pictures from a professional shoot available to view as well.

I'm looking to sell the car quickly if possible. I've listed it in a few places asking in the mid-100s CDN, but I'd rather sell it to a FerrariChat user for 95,000 USD.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but I'd be happy to chat about the car with anyone interested. I can PM my phone number or email on request. I can assist with exporting the car to any country worldwide as well at a reasonable cost. I will of course provide Tom's full report when he is done with the car.

Thanks for reading!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Nice car, I like the wheels. GLWS!

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Great color combo....but I'd keep it with a new kid. Think how fun that thing will be when the kid is 2 and 3 and 4 and you're taking them to pre-school in a 456.

The no time to drive excuse doesn't hold water. :)

4. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    it looks nice and priced reasonable ; good luck with sale

5. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Thanks guys. I'd love to keep it, but going to have to buy a house first and need the cash...don't worry, there will be more Ferraris in the very near future.

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Wow first that is a great looking 456. Not sure if that can sold in US. Have you checked?

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It will need a letter from Ferrari stating it meets US spec and can be legally imported. FNA can tell you by the VIN.
    Lack of airbags, for one, could be a problem.

Great looking car though.

8. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I looked very briefly at import laws. What Chris wrote is accurate re: the letter, although with a subtle difference: it needs to be 'substantially similar' to US spec, not fully US spec. The only difference between Japan and Euro spec, for instance, is the seat belt tensioners (Japan uses a different style, which lock up sooner but also more progressively). The other concerns for US import would be a MPH speedo/odo and door reinforcement bars. Your state of residence would have an impact on the requirements as well.

The airbags aren't a concern as the law requiring them only came into effect in September 1998.

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Speedometer does not have to be changed (didn't on my car.)
    It get's complicated if the car wasn't originally North American, you may want to check with Ferrari NA before you sell. If you can certify the car and get a letter, you will have a much broader selling base in the US. FWIW, if you have a letter in hand, and drive the car across the border, it's easy.

10. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Congrats on the first child. I have a 2.5 year old that loves (in this order) firetrucks, garbage trucks, excavators, saying the word Ferrari, saying the word Maserati, and M cars. I read such fabled old stories every week that mention Olivier Gendebien, Luigi Musso, and Euginio Castelatti. My dream of family picnics in an old Ferrari was somewhat shattered in 2012 when i tried to buy a 330GT 2+2 or a 365GT 2+2 and was unsuccessful at finding a well sorted version, at the exact time i started looking, the market decided to catch fire on Classic cars. All of a sudden, the few available went from the $120k's to $170's to $200k's pretty quickly. More and more came out to the marketplace, but by then, were out of my price range to where we are today. GLWS, if you have to sell, but if not, think of us in a couple of years when you take your first family picnic.
    (Note to self: Keep trying to make the Mondial fill the dream.)

11. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    #11 tantumaude, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    I did a bit more research and have a big update: this car IS eligible for import into the USA under 49 U.S. Code § 30141. The NHTSA has an exemption number (VSP256, specific to the 1995 456), under decisions NHTSA-1998-3806 and NHTSA-1998-4072. In a nutshell, this eligibility number is "based on a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that a substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle exists."

You will have to go through a registered importer to bring it in, but the car is eligible for entry into the USA. It is exempt from EPA restrictions due to it being 21 years old. Not sure about California though, that can get a bit complicated from my experience.

12. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Had a few questions about the import status: the car is fully registered in Ontario with a complete, clean and clear Ontario title. Future transfers will be done as if the car was originally Canadian.
    Also sold with a safety and e-test.

Tom suggested the valve cover and timing cover gaskets be replaced, so they are being done along with the under-plenum coolant hose.

13. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I bought my 456 so that I could take two kids to school on the way to work. Your's is even better, because it doesn't have an airbag, so you can legally and safely carry a kid in the front. Also, once you sell it can be hard to get back in the market as there is always a reason not to buy a Ferrari. Think about how underprivileged your child will be without a 456. Do you really want to do that to them at such an early age?

14. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Hahaha, now you've got me pretty seriously second-guessing myself! I really would love to keep it, believe me. But now I need a house, need to cover for workdays I'll miss, need...you know, practical stuff.

Truth be told, I've eyes for a 550 now...I think once the kid is a bit older I'll be getting one. The biposto layout of the 550 isn't as good, true, but I do have a couple of other toys for that.

That, or a 456 Venice. Now that I would buy in a heartbeat.

15. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't understand the 550 at all. Why would I want to pay twice as much for a car that looks no better, has fewer seats, and is much more common. A lot of the fun of owning a car is sharing the experience with others. Kids and Ferrari's are a combination that is under appreciated.

Good luck with the 456 Venice!

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Agreed with Chris - up until I purchased my 456 recently, I was seriously looking at 550s... That is, until I saw the 456 in person and started to really look at it. In my eyes, it's one of the most beautifully designed automotive shapes ever. While the 550 is stunning, it holds no par to the 456, IMHO. I love how the 456 looks like a modern Daytona - to me the 550 more resembles a modern 275 GTB.

The driving experience, at least with a 456 GT, is not all that different from the 550.

Either way, GLWS and congrats on the life event!

Cheers!

Ruben

17. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Beautiful car. I've seen a few 456s in person and honestly I think pics don't really do them justice. They're much better looking in real life!

18. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    100% agreed! The car will be listed on Bring a Trailer shortly.

19. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    has the import to the USA issue in this thread been confirmed that this car can come in fairly hassle-free?

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    GLWS, and congrats on your new addition!!

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    from experience not with this car in particular it is not going to be easy nor inexpensive to import.

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You just call Ferrari NA, give them the VIN and tell them you want a letter to import.
    If it's available to import without modification, they give you the letter for $300, you drive it across and ignore the "professional importers."

23. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I agree completely. A nero/beige 456 GT is one of the last beautiful creations from the house of Pinnin Farina. IMHO

Joe

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yup. That is correct and I have a stack of those letters as I have imported many cars to the US.

However, you will not get the letter of conformity for this car from ferrari and will have to go through an RCi. So my statement still stands.

25. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I'll see if I can get something from FoO in Toronto, otherwise, yes, it is as above.