1982 Ferrari Mondial 8 Rosso Corsa/Black | FerrariChat

1982 Ferrari Mondial 8 Rosso Corsa/Black

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by 19633500GT, Sep 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #1 19633500GT, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, the time has come. I have decided to sell my Mondial. VIN# ZFFAD08A0C0041241, built in February 1982. Per the clean CarFax, I’m the 4th or 5th owner.

It is a 1982 Ferrari Mondial 8, Rosso Corsa Red, Glasurit Ferr 300, over Black Leather. She currently sits with 24,659 miles on her, and I have owned her since October 2014. I purchased her out of Selma, AL, went down myself with a truck and trailer, loaded up, and drove her back here to CT. Sadly, I’ve put less than 2,000 miles on her since, but, I’ve deployed, I’ve started a family, and a new business venture means I have less and less time these days, and Ferrari ownership just doesn’t make sense at this point (I guess from the start there wasn’t as much time as I’d thought there would be:)

Exterior: I have not done any paintwork to my car, though I may touch up a few small chips here and there that have occurred with normal wear and tear/road use of a 34-year-old vehicle. The paint presents well, but there are flaws here and there, surface scratches, small chips and in the lower front valance, a rock pinged a small crease (to the right of the license plate). I would rate the paint at a 5.5 out of 10. It is in driver condition, and can be enjoyed without the headache of a trailer queen paint job you’d be scared to drive. There are some small rock chips mainly in the front strakes, and a couple on the rear above the bumper. The Cheese graters are in good condition and present well.
    Sunroof: She works! But seriously, I tried her once, informed my mechanic, and he said “Great, now don’t ever touch it again…” so I didn’t. I suspect the gasket for it will need to be replaced, I have never been caught in any serious rain, but it looks original, and I would assume it’s not water tight to the max (waviness in it).
    Interior: Black leather trim inside, is in Ok condition. The back seats present very well, and I’d suspect they have not had much use in this car’s lifetime. The front driver side has bolster wear at the headrest, and lower left, it’s not terrible, but could use a re-dye. I have Leatherique’d my interior two times this summer, and may do one more application prior to its new owner taking over. The passenger seat does not have as much wear, and with 2-3 more leather treatments, the two front seats will become even more supple and “new” like again. There are no cracks in the dash, though the leather has some cloudiness around the A/C controls and on the door panels. The original Blaupunkt radio is there, and turns on, but I do not believe the speakers have ever worked in my ownership (I think I heard static once…) The buttons on the dash work for the engine, gas, and boot lids. The turn signal, lights, driving lights, brake lights and interior door lights (red) all work as well. Sometimes the tach goes “lazy” on me at speed, and will “flinch” but for the most part it’s fine through the RPMs. She has Cocoa mats in her, but I do have all original black floor mats front/back.

Tires/Wheels: Coker Michelin TRXs, in proper metric fashion, were purchased new in June 2010, and have less than 5,000 miles on them. A true size spare TRX, on original wheel, come with the car as well. It is an unused spare. The wheels are original to the car, and two center caps have hairline cracks. They are in Ok condition, with some scratches, but no gouges or issues. An eye-let tow hook comes with my car as well, though it was bent (upon purchase), can it be recovered? I’m not sure.

Undercarriage: She sits well, and in her wheel wells and rockers, has undercoating (I’m assuming likely original). No rust in the rockers, the floors are solid, wheel arches etc. Underneath the rear bumper is the only spot that has some corrosion (like IN the bumper itself) water/moisture obviously got trapped there, and when I removed the stock bumper trim piece, it was evident that was never removed and cleaned. As mentioned above, there a small crease in the front lower valance, rock dings.

Engine/Brakes: Autoturismo Sport LTD in New Milford, CT has serviced my car since I’ve owned it. Sean Sheridan, who worked for Bill Pollard for many years, has been the overseer of it. She received a major service in June of 2016. I will include photos, and the receipt as well. I was unhappy with my oil consumption following the major, and took it back in July, where we found a leak at the motor mount threads, that was fixed as well (receipt too), then I had an intake manifold gasket replaced last week as well (receipt too), as well as new gas line tube replaced while he was in there.

-belts, tensioners replaced, cams removed and cleaned, gaskets scraped, valves adjusted, cam seals replaced
    -gaskets, spark plugs, lower pulley seals and bearings, distributor cap cleaned, *new* battery, brakes bled and new fluid, clutch too

Honestly, it’s ironic that I have my car pretty well dialed in, fresh major, yadayada, and I’m selling her…Such is life, right? This car had a 30K major too from the previous owner, in 2010, but, I felt more comfortable doing another one A. because of rubber components, and B. he didn’t drive it often enough to give me confidence that it DIDN’T need to be gone through after 6 years, I feel more at ease. I replaced the engine lid shocks last month. The trunk shock is weak, and the front boot shocks need to be replaced, if I get to this next week, I will (SACHS #SG459006).

Electronics/SMOG Air Pump and A/C: The windows work, slowly, but they work! Ahhh, Italian electronics at their finest! The lights work, brake lights, directional, high beams, low beams, though I don’t drive her often at night. The windshield wipers work fine, different speeds too. I have NOT replaced the fusebox with an aftermarket one. I have not “fixed” the A/C since owning my car. I would like to say she just needs to be recharged, but I have not diagnosed, so, that is a question mark, and I always drive with both windows down anyway. The components for the A/C are there however. I have the SMOG pulley, but have removed the belt etc. as Connecticut doesn’t run tests on vintage vehicles. The “warm up” regulator works fine, though I consider it an annoyance.

Extras, Books, Keys and etc- She comes with her original key and door lock key, owner’s manual, service book, Blaupunkt manuals, book jacket, and full toolkit. A car cover (tan) will come with the car, it’ll need a dry cleaning (lint).

Areas of Interest: Paint flaws/chips, rear bumper cover, rear exhaust valance could be stripped and re-painted, front valance dinged, interior bolster wear, driver side mirror has a crack.

Title/Paperwork, Receipts, Dates and Costs: So, currently in a spat with CT DMV over the title. I brought the Alabama title into the DMV when I registered it in my name, and in the shuffle, I believe the DMV did NOT send me the paperwork, and currently, I have processed the paperwork for a *new* duplicate title. However, the State of CT recognized vehicles of vintage with just registration, so, if the title process fails, it will come with a copy of the current registration, in my name, and a H-31 Bill of Sale.

-$2,123.47, June 2010, 240/55VR390 Michelin TRX

-$7,412.74, July 2010, Major Service, clutch, slave cyl, valves, cams, seals etc. all belts, sunroof motor freed and fixed

-$1,297.98, April 2014, Hot start issue fixed/accumulator, fan switch, gearbox oil, engine oil, trans/coolants flushed

-$5,460.36, June 2016 Major Service, cam seals, cam belts, timing belts, bearings, valves etc.

-$424.34, August 2016 Oil leak issue at motor mount thread fixed

-$227.96, September 2016 Fuel hose, and valve cover gasket fixed, valance fixed
    Total- $16,946.85

Price: $27,500.00 USD for my Mondial 8. Located in New Fairfield, CT. She is currently insured through Hagerty for $30,000.00 USD.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Looks like a very well sorted car!

GLWS

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    GLWS, its getting harder and harder to find cars at that price point. Wish I were in the market, your car was born the same month and year as me. :)

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good luck with the sale, Ken! Very nicely sorted and good looking Mondial!

5. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    Great entry Ferrari car. All big stuff is done. Just drive and enjoy and work on small details. This car blows the doors off the one on ebay for the same $$.

6. Classiccarbuyer

BANNED

Apr 9, 2016
    Miami Florida
    Full Name:
    Bobby Marks
    I'm interested in the Ferrari give me a call 703-595-5063

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Great looking rig Ken , at a fantastic price. This won't last long for sure. Someone is gonna grab this quickly. GLWS.

8. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thanks for the kind words guys, hopefully she goes to a good home soon.

Also, contact information if interested people would like:

[email protected] is my email
    C#: 203-770-0839

9. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    *update*

Ferrari Mondial Mondial 8 | eBay

Not excited, because frankly I don't enjoy dealing with eBay, but, in the process of building a website, and I would like to sell her relatively soon.

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ken , I can't believe this has not sold yet.

11. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thanks Kirk!

I would love if this went to an FChatter and I didn't have to deal with eBay.

Open to discussions or offers guys.

Current bid on eBay is at $24,201.00 with 5 days to go...Open to discuss, the reserve is VERY close... :)

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

It's gonna sell I'm sure.

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well ..... ?

14. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    :)

Not tons of action, just steady action I suppose. A few days left on eBay. We'll see what happens!

15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Quick Update: I had my reserve at $25,000. Which was met, actually by a business who's posted on FChat. Then this morning, just received a message from eBay that they have retracted/cancelled their bid. So, awesome, right? :)

Either way, any one who wishes to buy it at $25K, I'm willing to talk. Thanks guys.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Any update bro ?

17. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Nothing happening.

It "sold" on eBay. to a zero feedback bidder, who immediately said "Oh, I didn't mean for my son to click that..." lol

Still open to discuss, and would prefer an Fchatter buys it, but it's not looking that way.

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Gods are telling you to keep her. $25k minus eBay fees? Your car is worth more than that. My 2c, Ken! Best of luck either way!

19. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thanks Dave. I appreciate the kind words man.

Probably not the best time to be selling. And the gods are probably right...

But, business duty, family. The drill.

Willing to discuss details and prices at this juncture. Would love to find her a new home this week.

20. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Any update on getting the title from the DMV?

21. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #21 19633500GT, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes. They sent me this. And my check back (from my duplicate title request).

So it'll be sold with a form Q-1 and Bill of Sale, and a copy of my reg

22. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Do you have a copy of the AL title before you sent it in OR do you have contact information for the previous owner to request a duplicate title from AL?

Did you remove the smog equipment or just the belt? Did the smog pump work when you purchased the car?

Does the exhaust have the necessary hook-ups for the smog stuff (i.e. the exhaust sensors whatever they are called)?

CO will NOT exempt a car from emissions unless is a 1975 or older, so smog would be an issue for me. Dave Helms can fix it, but I need to know "how bad" (i.e. $) it will be before a purchase. Dave is in CO, and one of the BEST 3x8 mechanics in the nation.

The title is concerned, regardless of what CT says. Cars come with titles... :(

(read the above is "I'm semi-interested")

Thanks for your service BTW!

James in Denver

23. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    I would be very concerned with what the officials at the CT motor vehicle office, did (or did not do), with the Alabama title. If it's not been "cleared" off the state of Alabama title records, someone could buy the car, get stopped by the police, & when they run a check of the vin, it might show owner's in 2 different states. That would not a good situation. Had that happen to a friend years ago, the car got impounded, since the cops had no way of knowing who the legal owner was. Lots of dollars of towing/impoundment fees, took weeks to get it sorted out.

24. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops

I am going to discuss with the official office if I can get them today. But trust me, the frustration is mutual, this state is not a good state with paperwork.

I physically took the Alabama title with me, signed over and all, into the DMV, and left with a current registration tag. I'll inquire what happens to titles when they're "turned in", and why I can't have one. I feel like if I push enough, someone will make something happen.

As the air pump system goes, all I have is the pulley (removed), I do not have the pump itself, but will further pool through and see what has been left IN the car besides.

Thanks,

Ken

25. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Great ad and Mondial, Ken!

Regarding the title, Alabama DMV appears to have a website where you can do a title search. Looks like it costs $100 or so though :/ hope that helps. GLWS!

Alabama Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicles