1985 Testarossa (single mirror) $98,000 | FerrariChat

1985 Testarossa (single mirror) $98,000

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by titangolf, Nov 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
    #1 titangolf, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought this TR from an FChat member in Sept. of 2015. I am selling the car because I have two single mirror TRs and would like to replace one of them with a 550. I copied the previous owner's listing because I thought it was a very detailed and accurate description of the car. It is posted below. The car is in the same condition today as described below. It currently has 42,300 miles. It is priced to sell at $98,000.

Current pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHskMekts3

VIN: ZFFSA17A8F0057955

Photos of the engine out service performed by the previous owner in January of 2015 are here: https://goo.gl/photos/h5fYXC4jNKGmxFuu9

Less than 1500 Testarossas were produced with the original single mirror design, and only 421 were US models. This is one of only 121 first year 1985 model US Testarossas, and only a handful were black. This is a sharp collector car that you can still really enjoy driving.

Vehicle History

Not much is known about the car's 1980s history. Car was exported from Virginia to Germany during the late 80s Ferrari boom and was owned by a German architect from 1992 until 1999. In 2000, the car was brought back into the US and sold to the previous owner who kept it in Colorado for 13 years. From 2005 until 2013, he only drove it a handful of times to prevent deterioration.

Body

* There are rock chips and small flaws in the paint typical for a 41,000 mile Ferrari.
    * My paint meter shows 4-6 mils on most panels (original paint), and there is no evidence of repainting.
    * The left rear quarter panel has been repainted and shows 10-12 mils. It was an excellent job and there is no obvious evidence it was painted except the paint meter reading. I don't have records of any paint or body work.
    * There is an obvious paint blend in a foot long section of the rear quarter panel just above the right rear wheel. You can't see it except in certain light conditions, and you cannot feel it with your fingers. Paint on that quarter panel reads 4 mils all over, so it appears to be a touch up from a scratch.
    * There is a small crease in the right rear fender just above the taillight. You really have to look at a certain angle to see it and I could not get a good photo of it.
    * Doors, hood, and trunk open and shut well and have good shut lines.
    * The underbody, rocker panels, and fender wells still have all of the original undercoating.
    * Rubber seals are original but in good condition.
    * All original Ferrari windows with no cracks or chips.
    * There is a small crease in the right rear fender just above the taillight.
    * Front spoiler has been scraped and touched up as is typical for driver Testarossas.
    * There is no rust anywhere.
    * Lights and lenses are excellent

Interior

It is overall in very good condition for the age and mileage, and shows very nice.

* It has all the original leather and has never been re-dyed or touched up.
    * Door panels, steering wheel, headliner, and rear leather work are excellent.
    * Seats are in very good condition, but there is a little wear on the drivers bolster.
    * Carpet is original and shows wear typical of the age and mileage.
    * From the drivers seat the dash leather looks good, but you can see shrinking leather (a common Testarossa problem) when looking in from the top of the windshield.
    * Front trunk carpet is very nice and the original spare tire is unused.
    * Tool kit has just the basics.

Documentation

There are extensive service receipts from 1991 through current.

* The original US version 1985 owners manual and service book is included.
    * 1985 full color Testarossa factory launch brochure
    * 1985 Testarossa factory launch poster
    * Sept. 1986 issue of Car and Driver with black Testarossa
    * October 1986 issue of Automobile Magazine with yellow Testarossa
    * Full parts diagrams
    * Factory service manual in digital form
    * All receipts from the previous two owners back to 1991.
    * Receipts for all parts purchased during my ownership

Mechanical Condition

The Testarossa drives and shifts as you would expect from a 42,500 mile well maintained driver.

* Idles smooth warm or cold.
    * Pulls smoothly and powerfully to redline.
    * Clutch and shifter work perfectly and shift crisply with no grinding no matter if warm or cold.
    * R134a A/C blows cold
    * Brakes work great and don't show wear
    * All windows and electrical accessories work well.
    * Completely original exhaust system except for the pre-cats which were hollowed out. Both cats are intact and will pass smog anywhere.

Mechanical History

* Original numbers matching engine and transmission.
    * Serviced regularly by Garage Winandy Freres, a reputable Ferrari dealer in Luxembourg. I have receipts for regular servicing from 1992-1999 as well as the following repairs:
    o 1992 replaced indicator switches
    o 1998 Timing belt major service, replace brake master cylinder
    o 1999 overhaul alternator
    * Transmission completely rebuilt by Garage Winandy in 1999 at 30,000 miles.
    o Differential was inspected and noted to be in good condition.
    o New clutch installed
    o Shifter is perfect and shifts crisply no matter if warm or cold.
    * Brand new Ferrari fuse box installed in 2001
    o In 2013, the previous owner removed the box and sent it to Dave Helms at Scuderia Rampante for his $1600 fuse box upgrade service which improved electrical system performance.
    * Completely new A/C system installed in 2002
    o New rotary compressor and receiver drier
    o New hoses
    o Converted to R134a
    * Major service performed in 2004 by Dave Helms of Scuderia Rampante at 39,000 miles.
    o Catalytic converters rebuilt, passed Colorado smog.
    o Cams indexed at this time.
    * Car was stored from 2005 to 2013, but was run and driven a few times per year to prevent deterioration.
    o 12 new Genuine Bosch fuel injectors
    o New Genuine Bosch starter solenoid.
    o 2 new Genuine Bosch O2 sensors.
    o New Magnecor ignition wire set, new Bosch spark plugs, and new caps and rotors.
    o Easily passed California smog after tune up.
    o Only factory Ferrari parts were used for all timing belt related items. I have receipts for all parts.
    o Valve clearances were checked and recorded. None needed adjustment.
    o Rebuilt water pump with factory kit
    o New silicon hoses throughout
    o New factory water pump J hose
    o Refill with Mobil 1 15w50 full synthetic
    o Replaced transmission oil. No metallic bits or residue on drain plug.

Carfax link:

https://u3003464.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=AMnoIlQfecLcA4lU1WYZIVvC3NM9lxGVg3dNBhrIFcKIs3SqWdOcJzE-2BKEYvrUMavrH2LU0bd1VvGxEGB6dJ7f-2BSvdISfjOT7rfTlrrLiaxt7a9S3ie54jLiN66dZeI0EYfTHYcaXeBRlJoEqIDlQGpnnsa7WuLXX35v9kXLXCuGWr-2FYHAQxAfwGXDXWevO8DTA60z8DayU2KwWmDrk9TQ-3D-3D_hjy-2BngaY9Pe0vSs-2BgHOn7f4Xf3EKFrHOkl3i1cd1dmtGb-2FHLiq4NQMRiRPcoca-2Bs6pBbeq2oDkdEyyLjpgxFgDMfwy-2F-2BQGi20B2ZHTV0AEBdy-2BkqPlixv3pRjK5TASPRmgQbelIiKmUfz-2FxtGa4z-2BOYrbcv8iI4AtXXfR4h6cAO-2BdXPVE8OvOO4SKwxNQzpT6yhbEAiUTet1mrpr0D2x-2B9U2BAyP7kFbLAMcKdzawqi-2BEDmch9O-2FLf-2Bf44ovTom0L9H-2BbrwfV7jKZwD4UTlF8IPLhAaV8ADuonOzDGPaUoG8mYjB8IYpC7T63zHRlOVFHk4pHeNeM6gh18UVVD7FckqYw1kxXUTfw2lPjQiTEutY7YQ7T7ThMW612e-2B4FCvXm6e-2Bl9m4nlI9rdKJPuIOxA-3D-3D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carzilike

carzilike Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    North America
    Full Name:
    MMG
    Nice car!

3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I like the car, but why does it have the 1986 mandated "third" brake light?

Again, a lovely car! :)

5. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Nice looking car. It is a US Spec car but has some Euro aspects with the front lights. Wonder if the wheels are metric or US. The third brake light is a US DOT requirement.

6. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Pretty sure 1985 model year TRs did not have third brake light. Our family used to own a US spec Testarossa which was one of first 40 cars built and it had metric TRX tires and no third brake light.

7. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    You are correct; and that's the basis for my question. When it came out I was lucky enough to have 2 neighbors with the Testarossa.

One had an '85 and later the other one had an '86 and the first difference was the third light which was mandated for the 1986 model year, but the 1985 model year did not require the third brake light.

8. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    And not an insignificant point, because if you believe the Hagerty guide, the "85 model year commands close to a $10K value premium

9. Coeysgarage

Coeysgarage Rookie

Nov 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cohen Arthur
    Hey man, I know this is a long shot but do you still own this car? or know where it ended up?

Cohen.