Sold - 1979 308 GT4 | FerrariChat

Sold 1979 308 GT4

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by byroncard, Jan 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. byroncard

byroncard Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    #1 byroncard, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello FChat,

I am going to take the advice of several members and post my 1979 Ferrari 308 GT4 (Vin#14792) for sale.

My grandma purchased this car and rarely drove it. It has been garaged since the early 80's. The last time the car was started was 4 years ago. Eventually, hoses/battery etc. wore out and it hasn't been started since. Upon advice of members here, I have not tried to start the motor. I personally saw the car driving and running before that. I have included the worse aspects of the car in the photos in an effort to be honest and forthcoming. I want prospective buyers to be informed. Obviously, this car is not for everyone, but I believe it has enough going for it to fetch a reasonable price.

The Good -
    * ~<16,000 original miles.
    * Car looks to be complete. All parts are present: including an untouched spare tire, tool set, manuals, service books.
    * I think the interior is in reasonable shape, other than the cracked dash.

The Bad - Not Running, Some Rust, Needs Paint

FAQ - Formed from questions I have received.
    1. It does have the missing carpet piece for the trunk
    2. Has original spare
    3. Factory sunroof (manual)
    4. Car is Non-Op registered ATM
    5. Car is at friend's lot to make it more convenient to show

This car needs a new home. An enthusiast's. Someone from here?

I am looking to take offers for the next week or so. I am happy to answer emails/phone calls (408-438-0104).

Thank you for your time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. byroncard

byroncard Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    Can I get a mod to rotate those pictures?

Thanks a lot.

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Click on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of your post and ask........
    They are usually happy to help.

4. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Congrats to your G'Ma for buying such a car ! What did G'Pa drive ?? :))
    Interior looks great ! GLWS

Jack

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Good luck with the sale Byron. I sincerely think this is a nice project for someone with the knowledge to do it. I wish it was closer and the dollar exchange was better for me. Too bad it sat because you can tell it has been an unmollested car. Lots of potential!

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I'm surprised there is not more interest on this car.

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Oh, I'm interested. But the offer would be insultingly low, because that's just how the numbers pencil out. He'll find the right buyer out on the coast.

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  10. byroncard

byroncard Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks Toggie for rotating.

11. byroncard

byroncard Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    Reasonable offers are in the low-mid $20's.

12. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Could you post some photos of the engine bay and maybe the under-carriage? Need to see the extent of rust. Thanks!

13. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    I think the market has cooled down and as far as the GT4's looks like I've seen quite a few hanging around and not being sold. Some are asking far more than valued and I guess that reflects on some stagnant sales figures that I have been watching.
    This looks Ok but some of those rusted areas are concerning and who knows how it was stored as the dash glove box looks pretty torn. Interior looks Ok but you really have to see up front or high resolution shots.
    What about the wheels? Do they come with the car. They must be around.7
    just too many unknowns and surely will place dollars to bring this back to life IMOP.

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    shame it has been sitting out.... looks like rust may have gotten the better of it.

15. byroncard

byroncard Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    What are people's recommendation about selling to a California buyer and the fact that it can't be smogged. Seems like it legally has to be smogged to complete the transaction? Remember the car is registered Non-Op currently.

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd sell it to an out of state buyer just to make sure there are no liabilities.....

17. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Could you do a transaction that's $1 for the car and the rest for something intangible to get around that?

If it was euro spec and we hadn't pissed all over our currency, I'd buy it and bring it over to the UK for $20K.

GLWS and hope it goes to a great home.

18. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    From the CA DMV website:
    "When a gas-powered vehicle that is more than four model years old.... is sold, the seller must obtain a smog certification for the transfer unless biennial smog certification was obtained within the last 90 days."

"The Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability relieves you of responsibility for parking and/or traffic violations and civil or criminal actions involving the vehicle after your date of sale. Your name, however, will not be removed from the DMV’s records until the new owner submits the vehicle title to the DMV for transfer of ownership, and pays the appropriate fees, and completes all transfer requirements."

Additionally, if it failed smog in CA and was designated a "gross polluter", it cannot be sold or registered in CA until it passes.

Non-operational status does not effect the above requirements. Essentially, if it can't be smogged, it can't be transferred in CA, your only option is to sell it out of state.

19. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Even if the car is a gift, our CA smog and transfer requirements apply.

20. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Well yeah, but the buyer only gets $1 back if they reject the car.

21. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Do you have the Title in hand?

22. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    I am interested in the car, the problem is the rust at the window sill and other areas of the car. These cars are know to rust unless they are well cared for. Who knows what mess lies behind that window seal rust and what has spread to the rest of the car once you get it stripped and sand blasted. It could be a real big mess. The other thing hurting this car is it is a late model car compared to a early 75 version and the later cars are not as desirable in my opinion. I have just done a total restoration on my 75 Dino GT4, Engine, Full bare metal re spray, clutch etc etc and it is not cheap...Good project for the right person with some deep pockets.

23. byroncard

byroncard Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello FChat,

Thank you for all of your advice, interest and recommendations.

I have a sale pending. Did I read that a mod has to update the thread?

24. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    #24 kaliforniakid, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Hi Byron,
    I'd leave it as a for sale until a completed transaction occurs so you can take any back up offers if current buyer walks. I'd only change to sold after transaction complete.

That was quick but not surprising. From afar I think you have a great gt4 and has a lot of potential to be a fun car for the next buyer. These cars are amazing and if in good working order can stay as survivor and be a daily driver without a ton of body work, or someone can do a mid to full restoration. Great that the next owner can decide what they want to do with it. I hope this forum was of help to you and you stay a Ferrari fan. As others said I'd be so lucky to have a grandmother that was an original owner of a Ferrari!

Best of luck.

25. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Whats non operating? Just curious as we don't have that designation up here?