Taken Off Market - 1972 Dino 246GT | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market 1972 Dino 246GT

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by UroTrash, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #1 UroTrash, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1972 Dino 246GT

On offer 1972 Dino.

This is a US spec GT located in South Carolina.

What does one look for in a Dino? Well, I’m sure everyone has different criteria, I suspect a lot of folks would say the five criteria that follow are very important.

1. Rust free.

We all want that never restored car that has lived in a humidity controlled environment from new and has never had a speck of rust.

Well, these things were rusting at the factory, you have seen those photos, so this unicorn is unlikely to exist.

So what is the next best thing? A complete photo documented record of ALL rust removal and proper metal repair.

This Dino has well over one hundred 8x10 photos of the complete restoration (ask Dave, he took the pics).

A Dino that looks similar and doesn’t seem to have rust will likely have big surprises waiting.

2. Strong engine and mechanics.

Good documentation of professional rebuild is pretty confidence inspiring. Fortunately, this Dino was rebuilt to a very high standard at Algar Ferrari in Philidelphia.
    But what since then? These cars have the annoying habit of demanding very expensive repair now and again. That’s why multiple engine oil samplings over the life of the car since rebuild are very helpful.

This Dino had had numerous analyses of both engine oil and transmission oil done at Blackstone Labs and has had great reports, of course available for your inspection.

So, a strong engine and transmission with no evidence of pending trouble is very reassuring.

3. Cosmetics.

Everyone wants a pretty car, right? How about a multiple platinum winning Dino that has gone on to win numerous awards (since the real concours campaign was over) including The Palmetto Award at the Hilton Head Concours as well as The People’s Choice (basically, best of show) at The Euro Auto Festival in Greenville SC, the actual year Ferrari was the featured marque?

This, while the Dino enjoys being driven every week unless the weather is adverse.

So this is a great driver that also is impressive on the show field.
    ​
    4. Drivability.

Some people like a lovely garage queen. Lots of fluffy well-laundered diapers and all the joy is had.

Not me. I want a car that starts easily, drives great, revs well, handles well, shifts well and has great suspension and steering.

In my opinion, the drivability is the best feature of this Dino. It is simply: FUN.

5. Authenticity.

I think the vast majority of folks that love older Ferraris believe authenticity to be very important.

And so do I. The restoration of this car has been done to a high standard, and while not a 100 point car, is quite authentic.

This Dino has had a color change from white to red. This was done a long time ago and it’s just a fact. Fortunately, it is an authentic Dino color.

A few non-authentic points need to be mentioned. The smog pump and plumbing has been removed. The window lifters have a module to help them out. The radiator gets cooled by 4 blade fans rather than the 3 blade fans so overheating is a non issue. The starter has better winding so starting is much easier.

So, what do we have?

We have a well documented Dino that runs great, has all the rust issues addressed, looks fantastic AND has all the tools, the manuals and the warranty card (which is pretty irreplaceable).

I have had this Dino for nearly 10 years but am getting ready to move to my retirement house where I don’t have the room to enjoy this Dino.

Inspections and PPI encouraged.

This Dino will be priced very fairly considering the condition. There will be cheaper Dinos listed at the usual suspects we all know. I’m hoping for a quiet sale to a board member here. I will get photos loaded up soon and add a link.

Price and serial number available by simply PM me.

Thanks for looking.

Uro

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2012/04/Never-Grow-Up---1972-Dino-246/3710551.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Say it isn't so....

Matt

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Superb! Dare I a$k?

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    PM sent

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It is so... Uro and I chatted back and forth on this one.

Also, if I can add as the previous owner:

The car won platinum 4 year in a row at the FCA PA/NJ, and a second in the Italian class at the New Hope Auto Show. (Lost to a nice Daytona, but I'm still pissed about that one!!)

The books are original to the car, the pouch is not, but it was sent to me by a good friend who even went so far as to determine it was exactly correct for the year, serial #, etc.

A/C got a total rebuild, gearbox as well, with new 2nd gear synchros at the time of rebuild.

The alternator is also an upgrade from the original, out of an alfa that makes significant additional amps.

The engine is a solid performer. Dyno numbers were very strong after the rebuild and are posted here somewhere.

When I bought the car, the rust didn't seem too bad. When we stripped the car, it was worse than we expected, but still not terrible and very professionally repaired by a body shop where the owner also had a Dino, and had redone at least a half dozen more.

And, if I wanted a Dino again, I would not hesitate to buy this one back from Uro.

Dean, I probably have the restoration pics saved somewhere, would you like me to post some?

DM

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Dave, I have the inch thick pile of restoration photos plus all the receipts. I appreciate your thoroughness in documentation.

If you want to post some up that would be great. I would have to photograph the photograph since my set is paper not digital.

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    As a former 246 Dino Gt owner I can tell you... when its time, its time.

Good luck with your sale and may this car live on to be someone else's dream!

9. azmtber

azmtber Rookie

Mar 22, 2014
    Looks like a great car, nice to see it was set up for driving!

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

We figure 210 crank horsepower when we put it on the dyno. That's just a tad above US spec.

(That was 2005!! Holy crap that was a long time ago that I owned this.)

D

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Bummer - but I think you've mentioned selling before. GLWS!!

12. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    What a work of art. So beautiful. GLWS

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Exactly the way to present a car for sale....no hype, no eyewash, no manipulated images.

Well done and good luck, not that you'll need it.

Jack.

innerstrength1@ likes this.
  14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Whoa!!!!..... I remember when you got your "not quite a Ferrari", and Chas was giving you a good ribbing. Glad you enjoyed almost a decade, with her.

Sad day, but as Mayor said: "When it's time, it's time"

With all of the downsizing, don't let retirement get too.....relaxing.

15. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Best of luck! What a gorgeous car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    I remember as recently as 2002 I was offered two of these at $50K each. Like a dope I passed. If you've enjoyed the car then it is certainly a reasonable time to pass it on. GLWS!

17. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Precious! If you are of sound mind, GLWS!

18. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Very nice. I hope you have another dream to realize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Bump for Uro. One of my dream cars.

By the way, is this car in the right For Sale forum?
    Just kidding, just kidding. :)

20. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #20 UroTrash, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ