FF SottoZeros are off, PZeros are on | FerrariChat

FF SottoZeros are off, PZeros are on

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RickLederman, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The forecast is for no more snow so Saturday I took off the SottoZero winter tires and put the PZero's on for the first time since picking up my FF last October. There are some differences :). When driving on a road that has 'ruts', dips in the pavement from heavy traffic the SottoZero's ignored the dips in the road but the PZeros want to track one way or the other trying to get out of the center of the compressed pavement. To me that seems to mean that they are sticking WAY better than the SottoZeros even with 30 degree air temps today. After 30 miles or so today I am getting used to it.

Traction, even with somewhat cold tires (85 degree F tire temp) when I punch it the car seems to be accelerating FAR better, I mean WAY FAR better than the SottoZeros and I thought this FF was stupid fast before, these PZero's make it really stupid fast. I'm starting all over again learning how powerful it is:D. The FF is an unbelievealbe car. The shifts seem harder and seem to come quicker than before if that is possible.

Rick

2. Salivan

Salivan Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Finally the time has come to use the PZeros, huh?

Great to hear you are having lots of fun with your car!!

About the shifts.. I didn't know the tires could make them "slower" and/or less agressive. That's new to me. Perhaps it was the mode you were driving?

Be sure to let us know how does it feel when the temp goes up, and the tires a totally warmed up :D

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rick- Could you do me a favor and see what the offsets are that are molded into the back of the wheels on your FF? Have most of the modern Ferraris except the FF and F12, and trying to keep the list current. I already know the fronts are 8.5Jx20 and the rears are 10.5Jx20, same widths as a Maranello, but much larger in diameter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    You were probably getting much wheel slip with the winter tires. When you switched back to PZeroes, everything started to grab. Changing gears seemed to crisp up because your tires are grabbing all the time now.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, just telling about the differences for all those that have not tried driving their FF in the snow.

Taz, is there some sort of marking in the wheel or do I need to measure something?

Rick

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Apr 2, 2013
    Rick- The tire specs will be cast on the back of the wheels, like these for the 575M, required by TUV standards. Also has the alloy content to allow easy recycling. The -32 is the offset for this 10.5" rear 19" wheel.

7. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I switched to PZeros today and think what you are experiencing is less roll resistance vs better traction. Over the weekend it was 70 and the SottoZeros were "squacking" through each aggressive shift so they were gripping like crazy.
    I bet the PZeros are a lighter tire with a lot less tread depth.

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    This morning I was stopped by the local Edison flagman that I had gone by a few times in the last couple days. We chatted about the car for about 10 min, then I pulled around their truck and jumped on it after getting around them, shifted into 2nd at about 8,000 rpm and then realized :D the air temp was about 30 and tire temp about 34 ... thank goodness for traction control as the backend broke loose, it was WAY FUN going down the road with my foot in it at a 15 degree angle for a while before I said that was enough.

SottoZeros did not need to wrm up ... PZeros don't like 34 degrees:D

Taz, I will take a photo of one with my SottoZeros when I get home. They are the diamond finish wheel from Ferrari.

Rick

9. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Rick,

Oh man, I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one of these! Sounds like too much fun.

John

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im doing the same, but had to buy a new set of wheels since i bent 3 rims this winter!

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My front two are a bit bent but there is a shop in Columbus, Oh that can fix them according to my dealer.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    unfort 2 shops said mine arent fixable, i found a super nice guy in italy who sold me a set that was taken off of a customers car...3300 euros delivered.

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #13 RickLederman, Apr 2, 2013
    Here you go Taz,

14. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    What the heck are you guys doing to bend rims?

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just normal metro nyc winter driving unfort

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #16 tazandjan, Apr 2, 2013
    Rick- That is great, thanks. Photo saved to hard drive. Almost hate to ask if you could look at the front wheel, too. The inside of your winter wheel is cleaner than the outside of my summer (and only) wheels. Gets cold here, but very dry, so the snow does not stay for long. It sublimates. So far this year 0.5" (13 mm) of precipitation.

The casting marks also shows your wheels were made in Italy, not Germany, like the 575M wheels, or it would have the alloy content for recycling.

Here is the updated wheel size document, with the front wheel offset TBD.

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I drove on STUPID Michigan roads. The state is broke, their roads are broken. Potholes everywhere.

Rick

18. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I will shoot a photo of a front wheel Monday. I am Co-Director of the Weak Signals R/C Exposition in Toledo this weekend and I will be downtown through Sunday. Toledo Show - R/C Expo | R/C Model Show ... largest R/C airplane, boat, car show in the world.

Glad I could help.

Rick

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- Many thanks.

20. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Come to California. Broke and more potholes than MI. And there is no snow to kill the roads!

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- Did you find those front wheels?

Looking for an F12 volunteer, too, but cannot see too many of those driving around with winter tires. They have the same width wheels as the 599 GTO, 9.5Jx20 F, and 11.5Jx20 R.

22. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Taz, I FAILED (if you don't mind the 'F' word) to take a photo ... I will do that this afternoon.

Rick

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- You have been a great help. No hurry. I have depended on the generosity of owners to make the list, plus help from Chris at Exoticar. All kinds of bad info on the intenet on wheel data, but photos of casting marks do not lie.

24. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Bad info in the internet??? :D

Rick ... I will shoot it when I get home.

25. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #25 RickLederman, Apr 12, 2013