FF Transmission Failure Light | FerrariChat

FF Transmission Failure Light

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by StephenB, Jan 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    #1 StephenB, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok this light came on and I thought the trunk was open...lol. Owners manual said transmission failure???

Upon restart it goes away but once at operating temperature and driving for 20 minutes or so it goes back on. The transmission shifts fine in auto and manual and also in comfort and sport.

Brought the car to the dealer, naturally the light did not come on. They could see a fault code in the computer and they "flashed it" and sent me on my way. It promptly came back on my way home...along with another new issue with the seat belt.

Anyone have this issue with their FF..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Nothing like this. I doubt that the owners manual will be of much help. But from experience i will guess that you have a faulty controller (i.e., computer module) somewhere or a faulty sensor. The fact that you are getting two different error signals suggests that it is a controller in a circuit that governs the seatbelt arms and trunk release, not a single sensor.

You haven't said what the fault signal was that was flashed out. This may provide a hint as to the errant circuit.

These things can be tricky to find, but it will certainly help if the fault becomes consistent enough for the dealer to pick it up. The good news is that it almost certainly does not affect driveability.

If it's any consolation I had a devil of a time with a fault in my BMW X5M which spent 36 days in the dealer's shop, mostly waiting for it to fault. Eventually it got to do it all the time. Then the dealer quickly located a short in the wiring ...

3. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I've had the seatbelt handover message come up a few times. It's really easy to confuse the handover system.

4. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I had that transmission failure and was speed sensor, usually ETC unit problem and or a sensor however I could not shift past 1 st gear

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I must be missing something. I see the seat belt hand over warning, mine had that regularly when it was new but after some miles (8,000 or so) it went away, not to return. The other warning I see is a boot open light. I'll bet that is an adjustment. Try mashing on the boot or messing with the boot a bit to see if that makes it come or go. Then have the dealer adjust it.

6. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    Rick..
    I thought that was the boot light too....not! it is the transmission failure light.

7. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    You said that. If my FF were not in for its annual, I would run out, open the boot, turn on the ignition and see if it gives the same light. I will bet it does.

8. Prancing12

Prancing12 Karting

May 8, 2005
    #8 Prancing12, Jan 6, 2015
  9. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I stand educated. It does look like a gearbox :)

10. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    They have to resort to using the stick shift imagery 😳

11. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

They found some left over light cut outs from the 360 parts bin.

12. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    That is funny :)

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    +1 ... whoever thought of this icon forgot sticks have gone to Ferrari heaven where they belong :)

14. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    Car back in the dealership on Tuesday and after a day of troubleshooting and concurring with Ferrari a part inside the transmission needs to be replaced!

The transmission needs to come out to do the repair.

My love affair with the car is now tainted....

Tarek307 likes this.
  15. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes. That will taint it.

But being a little philosophical, one has to keep in mind that the Getrag DCT (which can be found in many high level vehicles) is a complex electromechanical animal that does have failure modes. Realizing this, I opted to buy the New Power warranty to cover the electricals and mechanicals on my 458 which is out of the original warranty. Another small piece of the cost of ownership. But my wife's F430 is on its own -- a stick shift.

16. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    This is the latest report after almost three weeks....

"We downloaded software and the fault still there, installed a different control unit and we test drove the vehicle and the fault still there, now they want us to install Mr B"s control unit in the other vehicle to see if the fault follows the ECU.
    They think the issue is in the ECU . if the other car is ok then they may authorize a new gearbox.
    We think the issue is in the gearbox but the factory has to make the call"

Have been driving my F12 but I miss the FF!!

17. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    3 weeks at the dealer and the factory MIGHT authorize, lol

18. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Help me understand this. Downloading the software is, what, 5 minutes? Not sure where the control unit is but I'm guessing 2 hours is more than enough to replace and test. And, since YOUR control unit was out of your car, how hard would it have been to try it in another vehicle right then? This is one day, tops, and that's a stretch, no? Why would it take three weeks? And counting! Does the dealer communicate with the factory via carrier pigeon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Italians, they don't work logically. They will do whatever they feel like.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    And I'm a little concerned about who owns the "other" vehicle.

21. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I guess that the DCT is still something of a mystery on the service side. Very frustrating.

Having gone through an extended (2-month long) electrical problem with a BMW, the most important thing for you right now is to have good frequent communication. That will head off a lot of frustration.

22. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    That would explain why so may of them dont make it to the other side of the pond

23. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    Hopefully I will get the car back on Monday!

24. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    What was found to be the final problem?

25. MrGreen458

MrGreen458 Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    #25 MrGreen458, May 4, 2017
    StephenB, what was the conclusion of your issue? Did you need to get the transmission replaced? a similar thing is happening to my 2014 FF...car is fine before it warms up...once it reaches temperature, the gearbox light comes on followed by a Stop&Start failure...car going to the dealer but just want to have an idea of what it could be...