FF Owners - How often do you get unwanted attention? | FerrariChat

FF Owners - How often do you get unwanted attention?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ferrari169, Mar 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    People opening your door to look in your car at gas stations.... Yelling at you while you're at a red light.... Making snide comments about you being rich... That sort of thing.

On the other side of it, how often are you able to go unnoticed?

How often do you get positive and friendly/nice/welcome attention?

2. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Never really paid that much attention to public opinion. Many people say 'great car or wanna swap' etc. Some look at you as if to say 'tosser' but who cares. Life goes on and in a Ferrari it goes on much better.

3. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Always positive comments, maybe conversations 10 to 20% of the time. Many thumbs up from other car people.

It's California, we love cars out here.

The people I thought would be negative, in my neighborhood, were all really supportive. Ferrari is not a brand that attracts haters, especially in the FF.

People like success when it's not at their expense, and many people wish they were having more fun ... the perception is you're winning and enjoying your life.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    never - drive it everywhere from nyc to the Bronx and people barely know what it is - no shields.

5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I was worried about that as my FF is my first Ferrari. I had a Maserati Granturismo S before which almost always got positive attention. Thankfully the same is true of my FF. I think colour might play a part in it. My FF is black with cream. Several people have commented on it being a "classy car". I have Scuderia shields so it's pretty obvious that it's a Ferrari from all angles!

6. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Only positive attention for me - plenty of photos/videos being taken , questions asked and compliments when filling up/parking.
    For the most part though you can carry on unnoticed.
    In the 458 spider it was impossible to not be noticed -loads of attention but, again ,all positive.
    My business partner recently bought a 458 as his first ferrari after years of porsche/bentley ownership and cannot believe the amount of attention it receives!

7. Aww100

Aww100 Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have a 991 GT3 and it got a lot of attentions especially I have my daughter with me.
    Now considering a FF. Color choices down to white or red. Just afraid red attracts too much unnecessary attentions.

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Attention? Pretty often. The car does have a presence, whether you see it or hear it.

Then, people notice the badges/shields, and say "that's a FERRARI!?".

My wife gets a lot of thumbs up, waves and flashed headlights.

"Unwelcome attention"? Relatively infrequently, and if it happens, its usually in the form of a young kid trying to chase, race or video tape the car.....while they are in the other lane. To date (knock on wood?) we have never received any negative BS.

Quite frankly happens a lot more often with our Speciale. My wife has had a few encounters with overeager and under-skilled kids while driving. On the other hand, she enjoys letting the kids at the grocery store carry her bags to the car, sit in it and take their picture. I had shared previously, one time she had a car literally chasing her, then pull in after her into a parking lot. It was a woman, who asked "do you have a girlfriend? Would you like one?".

With the FF, I really do not think a dark vs. bright color will matter much.

9. Aww100

Aww100 Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Entropy you're right. I used to have a blue 612 and because of too much attention I sold it. But I got myself a new red gt3. Lol. Go figure.
    How do you prevent scratches when going to grocery stores or restaurants? Do you park on the streets?

10. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I park everywhere. It's just a car. What's the point of owning it if you can't use it...

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's really funny!

It seems that what matters is shields. With no shields you lose resale and you lose attention.

12. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I take the same view -we know a great body shop and I guess a door ding costs no more to repair in a ferrari than a vw golf!

13. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    Thanks for the replies. Some interesting comments. Nice that for the most part the FF can be used as daily transportation without too much undue attention.

14. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Pretty much exactly this. My wife loves her FF and every kid in the grocery tries to get in her checkout line so they can carry them out to the car.

She also won 1st place in a car show this weekend.. My Speciale didn't even place.

15. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I was surprised that my FF gets about as much attention as my much swoopier 458. All of it is positive. I do have to be careful with drivers who want to "flirt" on the road with their pickups etc. Need to drive very defensively.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When I had the FF it was more like Entropy describes. It got more attention than your typical car even a nice luxury car. Id say it got about ⅔ of the attention the 458 gets. I never had a truly negative reaction to the FF- though some people said that can't be a Ferrari to which I said- well, it is! In many years of Ferrari ownership I think I've only had one instance of truly negative reaction- some guy in a pickup on the highway gave me the finger. I was driving in a 430. I have to admit I took it a bit personally but then I remembered I am driving a Ferrari 430- similes returned. And also remember those negative reactions are pretty minor.

Still you have to decide if this is the kind of attention you want on a daily driver. I decided it was not for me.

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The FF attention is always welcomed and very positive. Like many have said I was very surprised by the amount of looks and thumbs up everywhere.

18. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Drove my FF (Black) today in and around London. A 100 mile round trip on a beautiful sunny day with the window open enough to hear more of that V12. I received several thumbs up and nods of approval, plus plenty of tourists around the Buckingham Palace area diverting their camera lenses over to the FF!

No negative comments that i heard and people seem happy to let me out at junctions. My previous car was a dark grey Maserati Granturismo and I would say the feedback was similar.

19. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #19 deltona, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I don't own a FF, I do own a F12 and I've never got any bad attention ever. It goes mostly unnoticed, occasionally I get a comment or question and all have been positive. The Lambo's are slightly different.

I did notice some real negative vibes from 2008-2011/12 when I was driving anything expensive. Which I chalk up to the sentiment of the times. That seems to be gone the past 4 years or so.

I can't imagine a FF being a problem in most populated areas. Wonderful car!

21. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I had a rosso maranello FF. They get attention because they are very rare cars in the UK. Excluding my own, I think I've only seen 2 others since it was launched.

Attention is positive apart from Prius drivers who always seem to want to race you?!Also got unwanted attention from the police who gave me my first speeding ticket.

The wife hated the attention though. I never noticed it cause I was busy enjoying the car.

22. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    Great parking, mega motorcar !

23. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    Most often comment is a variant of "want to swap cars?" One guy in a Chevy pulled up alongside me at a Shell station and asked if I'd swap and my response was "sure if I get your wife and daughters in the back too! " He and his girls couldn't stop laughing-- his wife had a disgusted look on her face though...

24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So much is down to colour. Greys slip best under the radar.

25. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Justin,
    Not to go off topic too much but that is one beautiful FF you have there!
    Love the color combo.
    How has the crema color worked out for you in terms of normal wear?
    I currently have Cuoio but cream was a close second choice.
    I also come from a Maserati Granturismo convertible which was Grigio Nuvolari and Crema interior. I had that car for four years with little to no wear on the front seats.