Finally! Nero Daytona FF | FerrariChat

Finally! Nero Daytona FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by BaronM69, Nov 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    #1 BaronM69, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After years lurking on the FF subsection, and “compromising” in the past 24 months with 2 991s (C2S and Turbo), it is finally here: my new to me Nero Daytona 2014 Ferrari FF.

The FF is replacing the 991TT as a daily driver, sharing that duty with a RR.
    I had the car fitted with Michelin Alpin prior to delivery from FoW. (They did such a good job in Snowzilla past year).

The idea of the thread, besides sharing the joy, is to give back to the F Chat community by sharing my long term daily driving experience with this car.
    Many recurring topics come across various threads. I hope my perspective coming from my experience with this particular car, in my particular conditions of use will bring some value to the community.
    (On top of my head: practicality, reliability, cost of use, winter/summer tires, fit while used in a business environment…)

Most importantly, thanks all here for maintaining the desire high and dream alive, and being such a usefull resource.

Thanks as well to the previous owner, respected collector and FChatter, for doing such a good job with the specifications and getting back to me to confirm that the car was in perfect shape prior to my purchase.

I only have 350mi with the car now, car being 5kmi, so I will wait bit more before providing experience feedback. Overall though, the smiles it has been putting on my face are a testimony for how good it is
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Congrats

3. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Congrats Baron!
    More pics please as there aren't enough FF's in nero.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good for you, great photo!

Look fwd to hearing as I'm a long time FF lurker too.

5. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    #5 BaronM69, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Thanks Maximus.

Indeed, while I originally thought that black was the worse color for an FF, in the flesh, it actually looks stunning.
    It looses bit of contrasts, allowing the eye to capture all of the design and shape work, but the car looks "meaner".

Batman's bread vans.

7. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Thanks!
    Feels like a very solid car so far.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Great choice of winter shoes

9. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Congrats! Love Nero Daytona! :)

10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
  11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats! Glad to see you using it as a daily, look forward to the reports.

12. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    'Batmn's bread van"
    ;-)

It is indeed a rerely seen colour, but it suits the FF very well. I bit sleeker and sporty

13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Congrats on the car and I hope you enjoy. I have Alpins on mine too - they turn the FF into a total winter weapon. I know 'weapon' is a bit of an overused term but I feel that description is no more apt for the FF than when it has winter tyres on it, giving me the Ferrari feeling on those occasions when I have no right to expect it. Very cool cars.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! Awesome photograph! Power staring down power? Or controlled mayhem vs just general mayhem?! :)

15. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Lol

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    looks great !

enjoy in good health and low maintenance :)

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wonderful ride, need more pics of the beast! I got my winters on as well - the FF is ready :)

18. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Congrats! Nero Daytona is a great colour on the FF. But I am biased! :)

The FF is such a great car. Solid, comfortable, very quick and fun when you want it to be.

Enjoy!

19. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Nice shields on the fork lift !

20. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    #20 BaronM69, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    All right, so after 2,200mi with the car, here are a few impressions:

- Car is a true daily driver, not a week end car.
    It is fairly comfortable, roomy, convenient, not noisy
    Since I have purchased the FF, I have not used my Range Rover...

- I have not used the front lifter while I have been in 15+ different parking garages.
    All parkings with valet accepted my request to park the car myself.

- At first, probably due to the long hood and fact that cockpit sits closer to the back wheels, I thought the car reactions were unpredictable and front end of the car "jumping left and right".
    I now got used to it and find it fairly balance and pleasurable to drive in the curves.

- The sound of the V12 is intoxicating when you want it to be, and the car knows how to be discreet as well.
    I would not install an aftermarket exhaust, mostly due to the fact that I daily drive the car, so I appreciate the ability to stay under the radar, as much as this can be knowing it's a Ferrari ;)

- Get a lot of positive reactions in the street, never had a negative one.
    It is not this much of an attention magnet, but definitely more than a 911 for example.
    Daily drive the car, so I go to office with it. Mostly got positive reactions from my employees.

- Gas mileage is bad. There is a tread about it.
    => To date my "worst" week saw me gas up 5 times! (including a round trip to NYC from DC).

- Stopping power and brakes are not up to the pace such car can have.

- Option I wish my car had:
    > Front camera. the hood is long.
    > Upgraded sound system. Standard one is poor, real bad. Not a fit for long drives when you are in 7th gear and can't listen to any engine noise as you are cruising.
    > Panoramic roof. Not as important as the 2 above, but would enjoy extra light in the cockpit.

- I just changed the battery today. Was at 70%.
    Without charging it, I managed to turn on the engine after 2 weeks without any use but the new battery is giving the extra crank I hope will make me safer with the cold coming.

- I guess the vast majority of the critics I could formulate about the car have been fixed on the Lusso:
    > Can't keep the temperature stable when you accelerate and engine heats up, heat is pushed into the A/C
    > Who at Ferrari thought they should put the rear camera view next to the tachometer and not into the GPS screen? Can't see nothing when reversing with a turned steering wheel.
    > Infotainment system is worse than what my 2006 BMW 116d was equipped with back in the days
    > I would appreciate the seat to sit a little lower. I'm 6'-4". But don't really miss room.

I am more than happy with my purchase so far. I think my enjoyment comes from the use I do of it: I daily drive it. The FF was designed to be daily driven.
    I would have been disappointed if it was a week end car, as the FF delivered a GT Ferrari experience, not a raw mid engine nimble and loud as the thunder Ferrari experience.

Hopefully the next 20kmi I hope to put on this year will be as good as the first 2kmi.

Best

21. Potenza430

Potenza430 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Love the FF in black...beautiful car!!

22. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Did you get out in the snow in the DC area today? I can't imagine getting our FF coated in salt - used our
    535xi instead and immediately hit road debris resulting in a flat - so happy I wasn't in the FF. Nice to read your comments. Enjoy.

23. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

+1

24. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    #25 BaronM69, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Haha, of course I did! (sorry for the flat on your 535, changing a tire in the cold is not a pretty perspective...)

Was a lot of fun, car handles extremely well.
    I did not like the snow/wet modes in those conditions though.
    Trying systems and handling on empty snowy parking lots, snow / wet modes really help you not "loose the car", but at the same time, the pb you get into are understeer when corner with too much speed.
    In comfort or sport + manual, you get oversteer (if you push too much), which to me is much more controllable.
    To be honest, in Sport mode and manual, The traction control still kicks in. You get just the drifting you need to have fun and not loose the car.
    Comparing i with the 991 turbo system, the turbo was getting me similar drifting / play in Drive + standard mode.