Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > FF/GTC4Lusso/F12/812S

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Lorenzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraggy View Post
Re Geneva, I went to the 720 launch, mind blowing. With all respect the marquee affair at Fiorano with PowerPoint smacked of F taking things for granted.

Sounds like Geneva similar.

Yes, Ferrari should be careful on several levels.

McLaren will never be Ferrari, but they can be a much more potent competitor than they have been, and Ferrari really cannot afford to have someone else own the mantle of technological innovator.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Lucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by patekswiss View Post
Yes, Ferrari should be careful on several levels.

McLaren will never be Ferrari, but they can be a much more potent competitor than they have been, and Ferrari really cannot afford to have someone else own the mantle of technological innovator.
Im affraid that happened already. 720S will destroy 488 on the track without any doubt.
Thankfully there is no competition in front engine GT cars
Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Brian L Walters
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panjan View Post
Im affraid that happened already. 720S will destroy 488 on the track without any doubt.
Yea, it's all over on that category.

Ferrari went for luxury branding over innovation some time ago, partnering with others in the wine and cheese crowd. McIntosh is not an innovative hi fi company, but they are a great brand and they're costly. The watches, same.

Then Luca and Serg had it out. Now they are going for more volume, are a corp, and have cheapened the interiors lowering MSRP and forcing more option expense like Porsche. New era.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Scraggy
3 layer Ferro

Anyone share my view that bespoke 3/4 layer Ferro could be amazing and give it the pop it needs on a cloudy day but still light enough to show the carbon features (am worried that carbon will be lost on CD Fucile).

Can you 3/4 layer anything as far as Ferrari is concerned, subject to paying.

I assume GF while historical pricing is just a matallic.

Thoughts appreciated.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Lucas
More traditional than red
Ive always been in love in Tour de France blu + beige tradizione combo. No matter if Daytona or later models you just cant go wrong IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f812.jpg (43.4 KB, 378 views)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:39 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tim
Quote:
Anyone share my view that bespoke 3/4 layer Ferro could be amazing and give it the pop it needs on a cloudy day but still light enough to show the carbon features (am worried that carbon will be lost on CD Fucile).

Can you 3/4 layer anything as far as Ferrari is concerned, subject to paying.

I assume GF while historical pricing is just a matallic.

Thoughts appreciated.
I agree, that's probbaly what it needs and could be fantastic and yes, it's just a question of cash.

Pity they didn't take the opportunity to get the colours better on their configurator. Try adding charcoal alcantara or leather to a black door panel.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
Yea, it's all over on that category.

Ferrari went for luxury branding over innovation some time ago, partnering with others in the wine and cheese crowd. McIntosh is not an innovative hi fi company, but they are a great brand and they're costly. The watches, same.

Then Luca and Serg had it out. Now they are going for more volume, are a corp, and have cheapened the interiors lowering MSRP and forcing more option expense like Porsche. New era.
When Mr. Marchionne became the boss of a luxury brand named Ferrari and started having dinner parties with other bosses from Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc, he must have realized that he was the ugly duck of the club because his company products percentage margins didn't reach the triple figures as they should. He than must have thought I'm not less than them and if they do it I can do it too.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Scraggy
Early car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I agree, that's probbaly what it needs and could be fantastic and yes, it's just a question of cash.

Pity they didn't take the opportunity to get the colours better on their configurator. Try adding charcoal alcantara or leather to a black door panel.
I know you said you don't want an early car for various reasons but the Configurator is very advanced for a new release, looks like it's all there. Previously eg it's been crap wheels for 3 months etc.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tim
Quote:
I know you said you don't want an early car for various reasons but the Configurator is very advanced for a new release, looks like it's all there. Previously eg it's been crap wheels for 3 months etc.
Agreed. No diamond wheels yet and interior colours are out as I said, but definitely better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6838.jpg (48.0 KB, 374 views)

Last edited by Traveller; 03-20-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Bas
Interior colours not working that well yet. At least they fixed the non existing steering wheel, lol.

Can't imagine many people going for the asymmetric wheels though.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Craig
Quote:

the configurator is missing many of the standard options unfortunately. If you look at the McLaren 720s configurator you'll agree Ferrari's needs a reboot.

Anyone know any details of this new seat type? Looks like a fixed-back racing seat like Porsche fits to the GT3. I assume it was available for the TdF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Racing seat.jpg (58.7 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by cesman; 03-20-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Hmmm. Anyone in the states able to use the configurator? I am getting an error code and no option directly off their site. Tim- love your spec, is that GF?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsHmb View Post
Hmmm. Anyone in the states able to use the configurator? I am getting an error code and no option directly off their site. Tim- love your spec, is that GF?

Not working in Australia either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Lorenzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by panjan View Post

The 720S is truly revolutionary. It's the first Mac i really, really want - including the F1
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsHmb View Post
In the US and not working.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Olivier
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesman View Post
the configurator is missing many of the standard options unfortunately. If you look at the McLaren 720s configurator you'll agree Ferrari's needs a reboot.

Anyone know any details of this new seat type? Looks like a fixed-back racing seat like Porsche fits to the GT3. I assume it was available for the TdF
What about the TDF racing bucket seats ?

Here you go. It seems there have been offered at the very beginning, but quickly discontinued.

So far I have seen them only on two cars. The launch car and member ChaussureCowboy car.

See thread.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Tom C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkddad View Post
In the US and not working.

Ditto. ☹️ On the bright side, got a lot more work done this afternoon than I might otherwise have.
T
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

The competition between McLaren and Ferrari is pretty interesting.

McLaren is bringing a lot to he table. I'm not sure Ferrari is responding directly. But I'm sure it comes up from time to time in terms of setting the performance targets for new models.

Ferrari is still very much in the game of cutting Edge technology. Ferrari has the best paddle
shift technology and pretty much led in the adoption both in F1 and later in their Road cars. Ferrari has some of the best aero design with active mechanisms without having to use larger old fashioned and visually unsightly rear wings like Porsche.

Ferrari is pushing ahead with virtual wheelbase and eclectic steering and has some of the most advanced smart stability systems

And the engines! What Porsche redlines at 9,000. Or what other V12 redlines at 8,500?

The Scuderia has been competing continuously in F1 more than any other marque.

And at Le Mans and at IMSA there are GTE GT3 cars competing and winning.

So to those who say Ferrari has traded innovation for luxury--I say NO!

Ferrari is doing both.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuGuy View Post
The competition between McLaren and Ferrari is pretty interesting.

McLaren is bringing a lot to he table. I'm not sure Ferrari is responding directly. But I'm sure it comes up from time to time in terms of setting the performance targets for new models.

Ferrari is still very much in the game of cutting Edge technology. Ferrari has the best paddle
shift technology and pretty much led in the adoption both in F1 and later in their Road cars. Ferrari has some of the best aero design with active mechanisms without having to use larger old fashioned and visually unsightly rear wings like Porsche.

Ferrari is pushing ahead with virtual wheelbase and eclectic steering and has some of the most advanced smart stability systems

And the engines! What Porsche redlines at 9,000. Or what other V12 redlines at 8,500?

The Scuderia has been competing continuously in F1 more than any other marque.

And at Le Mans and at IMSA there are GTE GT3 cars competing and winning.

So to those who say Ferrari has traded innovation for luxury--I say NO!

Ferrari is doing both.
All of the above is true but you cant rest on your laurels. 10 years ago Ferrari had the "supercar" market to itself. Now it doesn't and Lambo, Mac and Porsche are building some really cool stuff.

Ferrari will respond IMO and leapfrog whatever McLaren has in terms of an edge with the 720S. This I have no doubt. However in the meantime they will lose customers to the other brands and this is where the problem occurs.

IMO Ferrari can fix this with ease if they choose to i.e. COMMUNICATE better with their customers and take digital (and normal) marketing and communication more seriously. They need to be "touching" their customers across multiple channels far more effectively while there "products" are at risk from competition. Not a big ask....really.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Smile

I totally agree with your point.

I'm not a fan of McLaren but I have been checking out their cars.

The new 720 is a very nice car.

I like Lambo but never felt the styling and the seating cabin were better than Ferrari. Also why no frunk space in the hurrican?

I have owned a 911 (993) and felt that a mid rear engined 911 was long over due. Now Porsche is racing with just that--a mid rear NA non turbo flat six.

Fords latest GT is amazing too. (But impossible to acquire)

You are right about not resting on ones laurels. The exotic super car market has a lot of contenders to the throne!
Non-Sponsor Ads