FF vs F12 | FerrariChat

FF vs F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by dmundy, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I'm curious to see if anyone who has owned both an FF and F12 could let me know how different they are in "normal" use. How are they different to drive? Which gets less attention? (My preference is for less attention not more.) Which did you prefer and why?

Thanks.
    David

2. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Less attention for sue FF!

3. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    That's what I'd assume. But I have no experience with either.

4. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I can not speak for the F12, however I do love the fact that very few notice my FF - it is a bit to silent I guess when just driving slowly.

If attention is all you like, then most likly the F12 will give you that. The FF is more about, well Family, it is a station wagon after all ;-)

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For less attention, I would recommend a more subdued color (gray, white, black, etc.) and perhaps find an example with no shields. On my Cali, the exterior cavallinos and Ferrari logo blend in nicely w/ the avorio paint, and if it were not for the fender shields, it'd be hard for anyone not an enthusiast to know it is an F-car...T

6. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I had a 458 for a while that was Grigio silver stone and no shields. It drew waaaay more than I thought it would. My preference is no shields on any of them, but most disagree. 458 stands out a bit more than the cali maybe?

Also curious about the driving experience.

Thanks guys.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Yes, I would think a low, sporty 458 would garner more attention given the same color combo as compared to a more GT car like the Cali. I think it also depends on where you live/drive. F cars are pretty uncommon in our small town, but more so closer in to the ritzier parts of Dallas. I've not driven either, so others will need to weigh in on that score. Good luck with your search...T

8. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I'm in/around Houston.

It's weird what people flock to and what is totally ignored. I had a 550 for a while, and never heard a word about it. Same with a 90's NSX (imo one of the coolest cars ever.)

The only things I didn't like about the 458 were the extra attention, which I could live with, and that I couldn't fit golf clubs in it!

9. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi David,

I have had both , currently the F12.

I loved my FF ,but, the F12 is on another level in terms of power delivery and handling.

It is one heck of a car!

If you don't need the people carrying capacity of the FF then I'd go F12 hands down :0)

cheers,Bob

10. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I agree w Bob. My wife has an FF and I drive an F12. Mine is grey and hers is red so she actually gets more attention...plus she is much better looking ;). To me, the FF drives and feels bigger than the f12. It clearly has more capacity but the F12 has a big boot and can swallow a fair amount. The F12 almost feels more like a mid engined, smaller car than it is. Both have magnificent 12's but the sound you get from the f12 is on another planet. I love both but if we only had one it would definitely be the F12 for me (I think she would say the FF). I live in Nor Cal and with the car in Grigio silverstone it flies mostly under the radar. The v8's are wonderful cars but there is something really special about the 12's....you can't go wrong.

11. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I have both. I prefer the ff for daily use I drive the f12 on weekends. The ff is softer, more room, a little quieter and less on the edge. It's half the price these days compared to an f12

12. randykern

randykern Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    San Francisco, USA
    Here are a few simple observations from time in both. White FF seems to get more attention than blue F12 (surprising).

Sound, acceleration, engine response, and general feel is much more exciting in the F12.

FF has a backseat (sometimes very important!), and doesn't feel like it is trying to kill you when it rains (both a plus and a minus). Gear changes are a bit smoother in the FF, but not boring.

I find the F12 is significantly more fun to drive but they are both wonderful cars. Drive them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Drove passed a black F12 over the weekend and it was very quiet. If you spec it properly I'm sure it can be fairly subtle but FF will be the more discreet one.

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Have owned an F12 and 2 FF's. The FF's turned out to be our favorite car, primarily because we can take our girls with us and it's solid as a rock in all conditions.

It makes the daily school drop-off commute a treat.

F12 has a LOT of similarities in feel - it's a GT, to exaggerate it's the higher energy RWD FF "coupe" in a lot of the dynamics.

Our F12 was red, our FF's have been shades of Blue, so the F12 did get more attention. Color is a big part of how much attention the cars get....to be clear, both get a LOT, but a lime-green Aventador gets the most....

If I had to pick one:

1) if you need the extra seats/room, go FF
    2) if you will drive in inclement conditions briskly, go FF
    3) if neither of those apply to you, the F12 is a great long-distance cruiser and is quite usable in daily life (moreso than a 458/488/Cali). F12 is moderately behaved in winter conditions with the right tires, but always tricky with the power vs. grip mix in bad conditions
    4) candidly our perfect combo is the FF and F12. Loved the 458 and Speciale...

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    A F12 passed me while I was outside photographing and it was quiet. Of course, it all depends on how you drive it. I'm sure the F12 would have screamed if the driver floored it.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    No matter what you are driving a Ferrari. I've owned them at different times. You WILL attract attention.

My opinion: in less attention getting color you will attract roughly the same attention. I actually got more comments at gas stations with the FF- people would say "gee, I never knew Ferrari made station wagons!" Things like that. The F12 conforms more to what people expect of a Ferrari.

I think if you want more of a daily driver Ferrari, then the FF is it. As far as a GT to drive on nice days when you can take advantage of the grip, the F12 is tough to beat. I never loved the FF. I do love the F12.

17. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    FF is perfect for everything except the looks until you push the car around a little bit more.

By then you are way above the road speed limit.

F12 is like this. It makes you push the car more and in between 0 and whatever the limit of your courage, F12 has less service to offer than FF.

To me, I was sad not to have FF than F12 when I sold both because it is not always about speed all the way but more of enjoyment while going whatever speed.

If one is not to push the car around corners hard or not about being the fastest one on the road, then FF suits better.

Oh I bought FF twice, and now wait for Lusso slot but not interested in 812.

18. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    I have and F12 and have driven a friends two FF's a bunch. The FF felt slow and heavy to me even in Race or above. At the time my buddy had an FF I had a 991 TTS. If I needed four seats and 4wd I 'd take the 991 TTS all day every day. Ridic fast and very little attention. My F12 is not quite the pantie dropper like an Aventador but that is a good thing for me. The attention is probably the worse part to me and it gets plenty. The car is an ANIMAL. Fast at every RPM in every gear. It is also much more precise than i'd of imagined. Not the scalpel that the 458 is but incredible for such a big car. Fun on a track too. If you don't absolutely need 4 seats or 4wd get an F12. If you do...get a 991 TTS.

19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    The problem with any 911's is the lack of trunk space and the small frunk in the front.

20. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    Very True

21. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    911s are fun, and small enough for two adults and 2 midgets ... or ok ... two dogs, and no luggage. FF is of course slower than a TTS or F12 because it's larger and heavier, yet hardly slow. Compared to most cars it's a rocket. '14 FF is faster than my '16 911 GTS by 0.5 sec, and it feels like twice the quality. 911s are all toys compared to modern Fcars.

22. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    So today I drove about 120 miles round trip and was stuck in stop in go traffic both ways. On a Sunday! It made me remember this thread...

I'm assuming the FF is less miserable than an F12 I such a day or does it matter?

I'm realizing I'm stuck in traffic a lot....

23. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    You'll have more room in ff, comfort suspension (however won't be noticeable I traffic) you'll still have the same dct creep characteristic as f12 in traffic, very on and off not crazy smooth
    It will be better but just about the same

I'm in south Florida and live on the beach in traffic lol
    I wind up taking s550 cab all the time now thinking about how the ff is in traffic
    It's not bad but certainly not a pleasure