FF tyre dimensions | FerrariChat

FF tyre dimensions

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by F1BHP, Mar 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1BHP

F1BHP Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Does anybody know why the FF runs a wheel a tyre combination that is 35mm smaller in the front compared to the rear? Why can't we run 245/40 at the front so the rolling radius would be a lot closer?

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    How many high end cars do you know of with equal Front and Rear sizes?

3. F1BHP

F1BHP Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Almost every car, I am not talking about width but height. In general all cars try to have the same height front to rear or as close as possible.

For example the stock 245/35/20 front would be 85.75mm of tyre sidewall and 295/35/20 would be 103.25mm that is 17.5mm difference top and bottom so 35mm overall or almost 1.5". So you could run a 21" wheel up front and it would still be smaller than the rear setup.

What most cars do is run 295/35/20 rear with a 245/40/20 which would make the overall size much closer however it will still be smaller.

4. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    It is just the way Ferrari designed the car, nothing more.

Some designers like to have staggered wheel heights to give the car a forwarded pitched stance.

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, it's mind boggling that they have kept the same aspect ratio front and back when most manufacturers go down by 5 for aspect ratio in the rear.

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Quick question. My FF needs new rear tires. Fronts still ok as they were changed a year ago. Would like to transition to MPSS vs PZeros that are on there now.

How bad to mix MPSS on the back with PZeros on the front???

SV

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Never mix tires. If you are going to change over do it on all 4. Or you could replace both rears with PZeros.

8. F1BHP

F1BHP Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Mixing is not a good idea as the different compounds react In a different way when getting close to the edge of grip. With the setup you are suggesting you would end up with quite a bit of understeer.

Don't bother with the MPSS as they are being discontinued and MPS 4 are taking over and they are far superior as an all around tyre

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm not so sure how fast they will be discontinuing the MPSS tires. Typically Michelin will continue making one model while it rolls out its successor. Most times I've observed the initial roll out is in a few select sizes and then it becomes more widely available. I think if you need tires now, then the choices are either the new PZeros on the rears or MPSS all around... I think the MPSS are a better tire, but I'm not writing the check on this one.

10. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Far superior? The early reviews say they are a little better, not far better. It's not like the MPSS has a weakness.

11. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    A tire normally last around 5 years from the date it is manufactured, some MPSS are already older than that.

So even a 'new' MPSS from the warehouse might be a few years old already.

12. F1BHP

F1BHP Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    The MPSS I find to be a little soft in the sidewall so although they do give good grip they roll over a little when pushing hard which I personally don't like the feel of. The PS4 beats the PSS in every test category so I would say it is quite conclusive.

In the U.K. you can already get the PS4 in K1 245/35zr20 and K1 295/35zr20 as I understand it will be the standard tyre on GTC4Lusso. I have ordered a set for the FF so I will let you know.

I would say that chances are you may have the tyres for a few years so you may as well wait a few weeks for the newest and best.

13. chrispor

chrispor Rookie

Jun 15, 2017

5 years really??? thought tyres had to be changed every year.. does it depend on the driving and other things?? cheers