Sergio "Ferrari NA V12s Are Here To Stay" | FerrariChat

Sergio "Ferrari NA V12s Are Here To Stay"

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Ferrari FXX, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This is the quote that worries me most...
    Very open-ended..."Hey (shrugs sweatered shoulders)..the people wanted us to build an SUV..."

‘We are looking at possibilities, but we will not produce a car that the market does not want.’

3. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    If you read some of the other articles about this press conference it seems to imply this quote was about the California and need to rethink it. I'm not saying you are wrong and it was not about an SUV, just wanted to provide context on how other auto pubs are portraying that remark.

It is interesting to read all the auto pubs take on the presser as they all have their own tacit spin based on what quotes they choose to include and how they frame them up.

4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The fact that all future V12s will be NA is a good new and in line with what Mr. Marchionne already stated several months ago, but the last bit of the electric motor incorporation is the one I can't swallow and it's clear that's an option which has nothing to do with power but with emissions. It doesn't matter how good they say the hybrid technology is and that you have the best of both worlds but, to be very sincere, I don't know if I'll ever be prepared psychologically to have a semi-electric Ferrari. May be this purist view is very old fashioned and archaic but in life we have to make choices and mine is to listen to the V12 engine on it's own.

5. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    While I see your point, I do disagree in regards to the sounds of a V12 without electric and a V12 with electric. I know it's a hyper car, but you honestly wouldn't be prepared to own a La Ferrari? They sound amazing even with KERS. Just my .02 though.

6. JasonSpidey

JasonSpidey Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    The quote that grabs me:

"[The next step] is only two years away, just wait."

Seeing as how he seems to be referring to regular production models (or else he'd have mentioned LaFerrari as already having done it), that seems to imply the first regular production hybrid V-12 model will be the FF/GTC4Lusso replacement...and that it'll arrive in 2019.

7. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    This or maybe an additional range model he has been talking about recently.

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    It might be an update to the 812 that incorporates a KERS like system.

As for the SUV thing...I hope they go through with it. 800hp V12 Cayenne destroyer would be kind of cool. :)

9. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    That "SUV is out of discussion" thing will be thrown out of the window if the Aston Martin DBX and the Lamborghini Urus sell like hotdogs.

10. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    Personally I don't think the Lamborghini SUV is going to sell. People aren't going to fork over 200k on an SUV when you have thousands of Range Rovers and similar vehicles.

I don't see the need for a hyper suv.

11. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    But there is a need for more horsepower than the tdf? None of this is about need. Nobody needs an SUV with 500hp, the whole concept is absurd. But they sell! A Ferrari SUV would sell, and wouldn't poach much from Lusso sales, if at all. A Ferrari sedan would sell! Wouldn't cannibalize 812 or Lusso sales much, if at all. The California has always taken shots, even now from The Sweater himself, but it sells! The issue is what effect those things would have on the brand itself and whether that would impact future sales of the bread and butter. What makes Ferrari special is that it is hard to get one, even if you have the money. The 812 has SOLD OUT for at least two years in most markets and that is despite the rather luke warm reception from the masses. Speculators or not, the orders are there. So yes people would absolutely spend $350k on an SUV instead or a Land Rover just because it's a Ferrari. And if the reality is that Ferrari makes significantly more from merchandising than the cars themselves, what public company CEO is going to stand on tradition if there is a way to increase the stock price and generate more revenue? California has a pretty strong positive impact on the bottom line. An SUV or sedan would do the same. As a fan I find that horrifying. But as a shareholder, it's all about value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Can you imagine all those garages filled with SUVs that owners refuse to drive and have never seen the rain? lol :)

13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Ferrari is publicly traded now. I'd bet good money we'll see an SUV from them soon.

The Cayenne saved Porsche. 200k full jam for a Turbo S? Sell like hot cakes.
    Range Rover is selling 250k barges fully optioned out.
    Bentayga? Can be spec'd out over 500k.

Why wouldn't Ferrari want a piece of this market? It wouldn't cannibalize any of their current offerings. It just makes sense...and I would love to see an SUV with a high revving Ferrari V12 that goes after the Turbo S.

Once the Lamborghini offering is proven a success...you bet Ferrari will be throwing their hat in the mix. At the end of the day, Ferrari has mostly always been about selling as many cars to consumers to fund their racing programs, no?

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The truth is Ferrari is for the great majority about the brand and the perception of exclusivity and status it creates on people. In previous posts I referred to Mr. Manzoni interest in space ships design and I'm sure that if he would manufacture one, even if it doesn't flight, it will be sold out for years. This is just to emphasize the fact that anything Ferrari brings out and puts the logo on sells always extremely well.
    The owners Ferraristas that come here regularly to FerrariChat and admire the brand's for it's sports cars for history, tradition, performance and beauty, I guess are a minority part in the universe of Ferrari owners and buyers. We have to accept the fact that for the majority a Ferrari is no more than an expression of wealth and success and the desirability is always there. Mr. Sweater knows all that very well so he can suppress models like the california and introduce new ones that fulfill his strategy with no consequences on demand and sales whatsoever.

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Which will be a very sad day, hopefully before that day we see a Dino.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #16 REALZEUS, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    This is totally unfounded.

People seem to forget that Ferrari already runs near full production capacity. It doesn't really need an SUV to increase sales; the waiting lists are long enough as they stand! They know what they are doing and they know that the GTC4 is the furthest they can get away with. Not that a Ferrari SUV wouldn't sell well; it's just that they don't need it, not to mention that they would alienate their traditional clientele.

Porsche, Land Rover et. al are totally irrelevant. They don't live in the rarified air that Ferrari does, they are mass production companies. Lamborghini, that lives in the same rarified air is a different story also, as it needs to up production and that's the easiest way. Not to mention that they have past history in the segment, with the LM002.

17. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Ferrari can build SUV but only with V12 NA engine :D :D :D :D :D

18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    many years ago no one would have thought we have Lusso. I remain open minded. But hey, I actually quite enjoy the macan. I don't mind a v12 SUV! Plus the Lambo SUV based on some youtube videos looks awesome...

19. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    No doubt a Ferrari SUV would sell well. However I think Sergio is way smarter than many would expect here.

20. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    but lambo suv will be turbo so basically it will be just another version of Q7 like Bentayga

21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    yup just the look then. lol

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mr. Sweater (the former accountant) will go where ever the money is. You can count on it more than his "words".

He also better look real close at the Huracan Performante before he disparages Lamborghini. That normally aspirated V10 is a lot better than his small V8 turbo.

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

If his job is to make money, a Ferrari SUV would - despite ticking off purists & setting Enzo spinning in his grave - would be a good move & IMO would sell like proverbial hot cakes.

The question, for me, can they do that and still position themselves as a luxury goods brand company, as I've read they wish to be seen ever since the IPO?

T

24. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Basically an SUV would have certainly had no impact on being a luxury goods company in general. To be clear I am the absolute opposite of an SUV fan!
    If they want to increase sales they first should go with a mid-engined V12 range model (IMO).

25. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    unlimited mid-engined V12 would hurt 488 sales