F12b Paint Protection Film | FerrariChat

F12b Paint Protection Film

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by deltona, Mar 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Although a detailing matter I'm posting this here as it's model specific.

I'm looking into options for paint protection film on my incoming F12b. I won't track the car, just road use.

I have decided I will go Suntek or Xpel but am unsure about what areas to cover.

My FF picked up stone chips on the front bumper and a few on the lower bonnet so I am considering having the whole front of the car covered up, i.e. Bonnet, bumper and front wings. My F12 doesn't have any exterior carbon and the colour is Grigio Ferro.

I'm interested to know what other owners have done. Some detailers have recommended doing the whole car. Is that necessary? Also if I only do the front will it be noticeably different in appearance to the rest of the car?

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    There is so much about this on here. You should look at a hybrid of both that's how mine is done

3. Honken

Honken Karting

Mar 24, 2014
    Gothenburg
    Full Name:
    Henrik
    I did add "clear bra" to my f12b from the front to the A-pillars, the rockers and rear wheel arcs. The protection film is the latest from 3M which self heal when you poor hot water on it. So when ever you get scratches on the film from stones or wash sponge. Just flush it with hot water and the scratches disappears, like magic. I think my costed about €1500 for labour and materials.

4. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig

Check out Topaz Detailing - I've done PPF on both of my cars and they do all HR Owens work. You can't see that the car has PPF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #5 Wheels1, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am not sure where you are in the UK Justin, but I have just had the Suntek film done in Peterborough.

My car came with the none heal stuff from Ferrari which covered the front bumper, splitter, mirrors, sill covers and a few other bits.
    I have just had the front splitter re done as it had had a bad fitting number plate on it, the whole bonnet, the front wings and the head lights. I would say its hard to notice the difference, it might even be a bit shiner. They have the pattern's for all of the F12 parts if you need them, and a trailer collection if you don't want to go there and wait for a day while you have it done, they may also have a loan car.
    They had a brand new full carbon Koenigsegg for a full cover, another F12, Challenge car, racing lotus, and a VW camper, in the shop when I was there a few weeks ago!!
    Paint Protection Film
    Here is a couple of photos of my car from last weekend
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for the replies:

F12 Kid - I have been recommended a Hybrid of Suntek and Xpel, Suntek mainly and Xpel in areas that require a bit more protection as it's apparently thicker material.

Henrik - My plan is up to the A pillars also. I didn't consider the rear arches but a good idea I guess. What do you mean by 'rockers'?

Craig - I have spoken to Topaz. They certainly seem to know their stuff and have invited me to go and see their workshop. They are recommending a full body coverage which frankly is making my carbon fibre cup holder seem like a bit of a bargain!

Grant - Nice pics! Thanks for the link. I will contact them. I have sent you a PM re Paintshield.

I will let you know who I choose and what areas i get covered. Thanks again. :)

7. Honken

Honken Karting

Mar 24, 2014
    Gothenburg
    Full Name:
    Henrik
    By the rockers (rocker panels) I mean the side skirts. On mine the rear arches are dressed with protection stripe that follows the arc with a width of about 5 cm.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    i'm a topaz guy and send everything to them, they decide what and where to place the respective products ....

9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Understood, thanks again.

10. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    OK, thanks, they do seem to know their stuff.

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think you know my view Justin...

12. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig

+1

Recently had full PPF put on both cars by Topaz. Their quality is outstanding and I wish I had done it when I bought them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Justin based on a good experienced I had in the past with a Cali wrapping, soon I'll put protection film on my F12b. Before I've used Xpel Ultimate because my detailer is very familiarized with this particular brand and does an extremely good job with it. My idea is to protect the F12's front bumper/spoiler, the front lights, the carbon fiber skirts and the carbon fiber applications in the base of the doors frames, I find these areas sufficient because they are the more exposed to stone chips and similar damage. My detailer recommended as well the application of a ceramic coating ultra seal to the paintwork before putting the film. This ceramic coating was applied before to a Cali Nero non metallic I owned after a paint correction was and it is something I highly recommend. It drastically reduces the possibility of swirls, small scratches, discolorations on the paint surface due to deficient washings, acid rains, etc and another particularity, is that dust flies off the surface when you drive and when it's raining, is a lot of fun watching all the water droplets slide through the bonnet like if it had been waxed.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If I were anywhere near Topaz, I would be calling them. There is the small matter of an ocean though. So in my case with a brand new F12 (pozzi) I started off thinking: gee, lets just wrap the standard areas. And then I thought, what about the doors as I once upon a time took a stone chip on a door in my F430. And before you know it, I had talked myself into wrapping the whole car- which I did. And the people who did it were amazing. I'm glad I did it. I just like the peace of mind it brings, but theres no free lunch. The wrap is easier to scratch from drying than the clear coat and you cant leave it on forever... I like having a ceramic coating applied just for wraps on mine because it makes washing and then drying (I use a car specific air blower) so much easier. Again, that's under maintenance. Also I should note, my car has the standard grey lower rockers and rear areas and front aero piece- they have a wrap with a matte finish so when we wrapped those parts, they don't all of a sudden look glossy. When I tell people my car is 99.9% wrapped they don't believe it.

15. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks Mario, Craig and Caeruleus and all others. I'm going to pay Topaz a visit next week.

Will report back.

16. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    Here are the products to keep the XPEL clear film clean and polished directly from the XPEL website and care guide: Aftercare - XPEL

17. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have decided to go for a full body paint protection film. It is costly but the car will be fully detailed first and then all painted areas covered, plus headlights, sills, bumper air intakes.

I was originally intent on front only coverage but I had experience in the past where grey colours can be very difficult to repaint with a good colour match. I will use the car in supermarkets etc so I just thought that the extra coverage may pay off.

After visiting their premises (impressive!) I went with Topaz although Paintshield seemed good too, but I never visited them. Topaz do lots of Ferrari and are very familiar with the F12b which helped.

Topaz use primarily Suntek but some Xpel in certain areas. They use Matt film on the black plastic areas. Their work is also guaranteed and they offer a 'first wash' service where you bring the car back after a week or two, they clean the car and check the film again for any lifting. A nice touch I thought.

Thanks again for the recommendations and helping me decide.

P.S. Seawise - did you have your F12 done at Topaz? Apparently I missed a Ferro F12 by a day or two and wondered if it might be yours?

18. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Good choice - you won't be disappointed - they are hedging to CH to do 2 cars for me on April 10

19. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    yes Justin, that was my car

20. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So are you pleased with the PPF and of course how is the car?! :)

21. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    errrr, I am sure I will be when I can collect it ! hopefully next week

22. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    I did my entire car in xpel ultimate and clearplex on the windshield.

Replaced the clearplex today after about 25,000km of use. Windshield looked brand new.

23. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    How much did that set you back? Where did you go to have that done?

24. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Clearplex on my windshields has saved me so much money over time

25. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have filmed my entire F12 for £3500 by invisifilm in Manchester which the main dealer uses.